Switching to a Tivo HD from SD: dish needed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ccchuck

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
usa
I am putting in a Tivo HD . The old unit, of course, had the old 18" round dish. What does the Tivo HD need in terms of which dish and cabling?

The SD signal came from one satellite (101). The HD receiver will need to get it from at least 3 satellites (99, 101 & 103). This needs an oval dish (Slimline) and a 3 or 5 sat LNB. You can get a legacy 5 sat lnb. This has 4 coax cables coming down and can use a multiswitch to route it if you have more than 4 tuners. I would not suggest this route. The latest setup uses the same Slimline dish with a SWM LNB. This uses one coax from the dish into the house and then splitters are used to send the signal to different receivers.

Got to ask, do you really want a DIRECTV Tivo HD receiver? Those boxes are based on a very old hardware platform and DIRECTV/Tivo isn't adding any new functionality to them.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Got to ask, do you really want a DIRECTV Tivo HD receiver? Those boxes are based on a very old hardware platform and DIRECTV/Tivo isn't adding any new functionality to them.
I realize that this is a requirement here to question why anyone would want a Tivo, so I'll do the dance..
I have a genie ( with2 pups), 1 Tivo HD already, SWM connected. The Tivi will be on a seperate dish (for reasons having nothing to do with connections, networking, etc.)
My wife hates the Genie.
No that's an understatement, no Tivo no Directv.
As for me, the genie interface is not always intuitive, its runs a bit slow (it is a 34), but its "ok".

After joining Directv in 1993, I've had the fun of playing with several receivers, dishes, etc., my dream setup would be a networkable Tivo.
But if wishes were horses...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts