Status
Please reply by conversation.

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Anyone else experiencing this problem on SyFy tonight (AC-3)?

Yes, at the time of this post had the same issues. And, lately it seems (not liking to complain) but it IS an issue, there are small "clicks" in the audio then a definite drop in audio level on many of the HITS channels. Almost like something "spikes" their audio chain causing instant reduction then slowly the AVG/compression brings it back to a more level condition. More noticeable and frequent in commercials, but sometimes in the shows. Various channels. Anyone else on that? I'm on a 410, not a 4DTV.

Yes, at the time of this post had the same issues. And, lately it seems (not liking to complain) but it IS an issue, there are small "clicks" in the audio then a definite drop in audio level on many of the HITS channels. Almost like something "spikes" their audio chain causing instant reduction then slowly the AVG/compression brings it back to a more level condition. More noticeable and frequent in commercials, but sometimes in the shows. Various channels. Anyone else on that? I'm on a 410, not a 4DTV.

OMG I though it was just me/my setup!

I'm not crazy...cancel the men in white coats and padded room!

Mine is a 410 not 4DTV and I notice the click and drop frequently.

I really did think it was me, so relieved to know it isn't!

From a technical standpoint, it does seem as though an ALC limit is being exceeded and is causing a reset to "0" after which it creeps back up.

I'm not using AC3 just analogue L&R output

Last edited:
Glad I'M NOT the only one on this problem either. Now I'm curious, is this happening on converted 4D units???? anyone??? (and I, too am using standard stereo setup.)

If anything, it REALLY shows how much the commercials are compressed for perceived volume and how the equipment "somewhere" is nailing it. Not smoothly, but definitely NAILING it. Don't know who to advise since we don't know where the spots are inserted for this. (or just tell the sponsors.)

I have seen that on certain channels on HITS for years. They hit an audio peak then the ALC pulls it back, and it slowly recovers. I guess some headend engineer don't know how to set a VU meter. :eek: It probably has to do with the ad insertion crap. I have never seen a second generation service ever get the audio levels equal and right. Must be all those college degree's the boy geniuses that work at those places have. :haha

SOOOO (pardon the capital letters, please) true. It takes being in the field to learn how things really work. I've watched this through years of radio. Agreed!

Glad I'M NOT the only one on this problem either. Now I'm curious, is this happening on converted 4D units???? anyone??? (and I, too am using standard stereo setup.)

Mine's a converted 4DTV (DSR922).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts