Tablet Market Share: Just Numbers...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
The tablet market is in its infancy but growing fast.
The bean counters - IDC, Gartner, ComScore, ABI, etc. - started looking at it as a separate segment. But their numbers are all over the place.
So for example, ABI Research estimates the number of tablets to be sold in 2015 to be about 120M. While Gartner thinks this number will be almost 300M.
Just as a reference point: the total number of tablets sold in whole of 2010 (according to Gartner) was less than the number of iPhones sold in the last quarter...

Also, Gartner sees the tablet market as a two horse race with iOS and Android keeping 85% of the market between them (by 2015) and 10% of the remaining 15% covered by RIM.

It would be interesting to watch the twists and turns in this segment...

Diogen.

This is from About.com, with data being released from Apple, sporadically.

iPad Sales to Date - How Many iPads Have Been Sold?

June 2011 - 25 million
March 2011 - 19 million
Jan. 18, 2011 - 14.8 million
Sept. 2010 - 7.5 million
July 21, 2010 - 3.27 million
May 31, 2010 - 2 million
May 3, 2010 - 1 million
April 8, 2010 - 450,000
April 5, 2010 - 300,000

I have no doubt they have sold 25M ipads, considering they are selling about 1.5M every 2 weeks. I cited a study on that in the other thread awhile back. Don't have time to hunt it down now. ONLY now are iPads actually available to ship when ordered direct from Apple.

Anyways, not surprised that more iPhones are sold in a quarter than iPads. iPhones are subsidized by carriers, and don't cost the end user $600-800.

Here.
Despite Apple's iPad shipments are expected to achieve strong growth of 55% in 2012, shipments of non-Apple
tablet PCs in 2012 are forecast to see an even better increase of 134% on year, according to market watchers.

Diogen.

It looks more and more like the smartphone market
Report: Android steals 20% of tablet market share from iPad | ZDNet
Android and Apple shipments are expected to level out more evenly as Android-based tablet PCs are expected to increase
to 44-45 million units and iPad shipments are predicted to hover around 54-55 million units in 2012.

My prediction that iOS and Android will have about the same tablet market share by the 1Q2013 could be right...:)

Diogen.

YAWN....... Again.... while you are worrying about who is beating who, I'll be enjoying and working productively on my iPad. :)

The numbers are really all over the place...
Android tablets grab 30 percent of the market, but iPad still doubles that | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

strategy-analytics-tablet-market-share.png

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)