Tailgating setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wildduk

Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Georgia
We want to set up a system for tailgating. We used to have DTV and still have our dish. It's a slimline. My buddy currently has DTV with a slimline dish. We thought we could use my dish and his equipment and get it working. We hooked up my dish, sent it thru a swm power inserter, then to a 2 way splitter, then to his HR 24 box. Aligned the dish and nothing. Besides aligning the dish better, should this setup work? Anything I need to change as far as the setup wiring, ect?

Thx

Last edited:
Is your dish an SWM dish? If not, then the configuration won't work at all. Post back with more info..

As Texas said, you need to have a SWM dish, also make sure the SWM set up is working or you won't get any signal.
Also, make sure to go thru the Repeat Dish Set Up and chose the correct settings for the SWM .

I do have a slimline SWM dish. Both dishes look identical. Maybe the LNB?, the thing that the coax hooks to was different. They both looked the same though.
We used the dish pointing calculated on the DTV site and used our iPhones to aim it.

His system ran through a 8 way powered splitter. We ran the tailgate setup thru a 2 way powered splitter. Left the 2nd terminal with nothing hooked up. I guess we don't need that we can just hook up the box directly out of the Power inserter, correct ??

The SWM dish will only have one cable coming from it.
Any splitter has to be a green label SWM splitter, no "powered splitter".
Yes, hooking the box straight out of the power inserter is fine. Are you getting 771 error messages from the receiver, if so at least the SWM components are working fine.
"Used your iphones to aim it" - that means you haven't actually aligned the dish? You can't just physically point the dish in what you think is the right direction and expect it to work. There's an aiming process you have to follow. Someone can probably point you at an appropriate URL, I only have a couple of minutes so can't do that right now.

I do have a slimline SWM dish. Both dishes look identical. Maybe the LNB?, the thing that the coax hooks to was different. They both looked the same though.
We used the dish pointing calculated on the DTV site and used our iPhones to aim it.

His system ran through a 8 way powered splitter. We ran the tailgate setup thru a 2 way powered splitter. Left the 2nd terminal with nothing hooked up. I guess we don't need that we can just hook up the box directly out of the Power inserter, correct ??

the LNB you are using, is it a SL3S or SL5S serial number? it should only have one spot for the cable to connect to @ the LNB. otherwise everything else sounds right barring a power inserter connected backwards. the red port (side with light) goes to LNB, orange (or gray) side to splitter.

It is a SL3S serial # with just 1 connector. I was using a green SWM splitter.

So I think all I'm missing is lining up the dish correctly...

Would it matter is his box was set up as a whole home configuration ?

When I'm at the Antenae pointing screen, below the satellite 101,99 ect, it shows tuner # 1. What is that ?

Whole home is irrelevant.
DVR has two tuners. With an SWM system, it's really not relevant. If you have an old legacy system, each tuner has its own cable so they could be different. With SWM, both tuners show the same signal, so you can ignore tuner 2.

So 1 more thing. Part of the run from the wall to the box we used RG-59/u coax. Would that effect it at all??

You should use RG6 but unless the run is long it won't matter. How long is the cable between the Power Inserter and the dish?

Between the inserted and the dish maybe 15'. From the wall to the box, that is where we used the long, 50' ish section of rg/59

So when trying to adjust the elevation, do I just set 47.3 underneath of the nut??? There is no hash mark as to wear to set the number. The pole it is mounted on is plumb.
Also, when setting the azimuth, it calls for 209.8 degrees. Do I set it 10 degrees greater??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 109
So when trying to adjust the elevation, do I just set 47.3 underneath of the nut??? There is no hash mark as to wear to set the number. The pole it is mounted on is plumb.
Also, when setting the azimuth, it calls for 209.8 degrees. Do I set it 10 degrees greater??

The edge of the slider, to the right of the nut.
Most people start to the LEFT of where you want it to be and then scan to the right.
50 ft of RG59 is best avoided, I think it will still work but you should really use RG6.

The edge of the slider, to the right of the nut.
Most people start to the LEFT of where you want it to be and then scan to the right.
50 ft of RG59 is best avoided, I think it will still work but you should really use RG6.
Why would you set it for 10* higher ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.