Tampa Bay Ray's?

Sean is absolutely right, there is no investment in the team. While they have some good young players, there is no commitment to bringing in free agents at all. The starting pitching has one good guy and the bullpen is horrible. Both ranked last in ERA in the majors.

I think it absolutely starts with a new stadium. The current stadium is definitely dated. It is small and the amenities blow. In my opinion it ranks as the worst stadium in the league. I cannot claim to have seen them all, but I have been relatively impressed with all of the new stadiums I have been to over the past 10 years or so. I am a Cubs fan and probably the only one who wishes they would level Wrigley Field as well.

But the major problem is professional sports in Florida. Tampa has always been a Yankees town and I don't think it will ever change. I think all of the pro teams in Florida are having issues generating money at the moment, with the exception of the Bucs and maybe the Dolphins. I really don't think Florida can sustain two MLB teams. They should consolidate both teams and move them to Orlando. (Obvious bias here, but I think it would work.)

The Phillies wew briefly knowna s the Blue Jays back in the 40s but no one seemed to care and the earliwer name returned.

They had some curious nicknames in the past. Hilltoppers (Yankees), Bridegrooms (Dodgers), Superbas (Dodgers), Beaneaters (Braves), Doves (Braves), Naps (Indians), Pilgrims (Red Sox), Nats (Washington), Spiders (Cleveland), Colonels (Louisville).

The Rays are somewhat like a farm system for the other teams. It's as if they can bring up good, talented players and, once they find their worth, there is no committment, interest, or investment made to keep the player in Tampa. Then, a team like the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Blue Jays, Angels, etc, etc, can come along and make an offer to move the player to their team. I'm in agreement with the other poster that indicates he thinks it might take longer for the Nationals, though. Both of these teams remind me of the NFL's Miami Dolphins -- they just seem to have no direction.

Cade

Nowadays stadiums have short shelf life. Fenway and Wrigley are the holdouts but look a t all those stadiums built in the 70s that are already history. I guess it is time for the ones built in the 80s to go the same way. Although i guess that technically this one did not open till the 90s---but it was there before the team arrived.

Very true.

I did hear that the Twins are looking at a new stadium -- good for them! I've always enjoyed watching the Twins and, even though I'm close to the area, would rather see them play baseball outside in Minnesota than in Charlotte (if you aren't aware, they were being considered for a move to Charlotte at one point -- 1995 - 1998 I think).

Are the Royals looking at a new stadium anytime soon? If I'm correct, I think they opened their stadium in the early 70's?

Speaking of Fenway and Wrigley, I'm always reading about the baseball parks around the league and find it interesting that the "magic" of stadiums always seems to mention Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, AND CAMDEN YARDS. I know Camden Yards looks wonderful on television and, from the one time I passed it, seemed to have that "old time stadium" look -- has anybody experienced a game there in person? Oh, and I had a relative that got to see a game in Cincinnati's new park and said it was marvelous.

Cade

I go to Camden yards every time the Red Sox are in town. It is a great ballpark with tons of amenities. I highly recommend it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)