Terminator Caps

Status
Please reply by conversation.

highhatsize

Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
I just order a ZINWELL WB616 powered multiswitch. Since I currently have a 3 lnb dish and 3 directv/TiVo and 1 simple receiver, I expect only to need to use 7 of the 16, "signal out", ports on the multiswitch and only 4 of the 6, "signal in", ports. That leaves 11 unused coaxial terminals. (I am planning future expansion, hence the larger multiswitch.)

Since I live so close to the, (incredibly ugly), Mt. Sutro transmission tower here in San Francisco, the signal strength on OTA broadcasts is deafening. With the intention of shielding the multiswitch from any interference from these OTA broadcasts, I bought a bunch of terminal capse, w/ "stingers" to cap all the unused connections, both those going in and those coming out.

I did a, "search", here regarding terminator caps before posting this question, and that search left me unsure of whether the terminator caps w/stingers are a good idea, a bad idea, or an unbelievably bad idea that will cook my multiswitch.

Oh, and here's another question. If I don't use the ports on the multi-switch for the two new satellites, can I use one of those ports to run a diplexer with OTA signals, just as I am doing now?

Thanks.

Cordially,
highatsize

Bad idea. Cut the stinger out first. It will shorten the life of the MS if you leave them in there.

Well first of all, DO NOT put those type of terminators on the switch ports - it WILL fry it! (the instructions that came with it will probably tell you this, as it does with the WB68 switches) If you want to put some kind of "caps" on the ports to protect them from dirt (outside), that's a good idea, but not terminators. (or cut the stinger out as the post above says)

And no, you CANNOT use the flex-ports f/OTA diplexing; those are ONLY for use w/the 72.5 &/or 95 dishes some people need f/locals or international prog.

But you do bring up a good point, though, since there are UHF stations that overlap into the frequency band of the Ka low dish signals. (hence why you CANNOT diplex before the b-band converters on the back of the receivers) I've never heard of any OTA stations interfearing w/these Ka signals & I would imagine if they DID, we would have heard about it on this board by now.

I'd just hook it up (sans those terminators) & you should have no problems with it.

If you want to diplex with your 3 LNB dish just put the diplexer on the out side of the switch for 3 TiVos you would only need 3 diplexers at the switch. I thought your TiVos were SD so they don't have NTSC tuners built in the OTA must be for connection to the TV.

They pull out easy with a needlenose pliers. I do it every day. Be carful and keep your fingers on the side of the cap, sometimes when the resister breakes in the middle comming out, they can be a little shap and slice into your finger. Something you only do once.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

So, terminator caps OK w/o stingers but altogether unnecessary.

Can't use unused ports for diplexing.

Cordially,
highhatsize

I have a box of the plastic caps that come with the switches. They keep the water out. I also learned on this site that the terminators will cook switches IF screwed in enough. The 3 x 4s etc, that are now referred to as legacy came with those terminators without instructions.............they were just tossed in the box.

You got the correct info..........good question.........the answer should have been presented long before a question was needed.

Joe

Great site

Wanted to express my appreciation for the existence of this website. Great forum. My esoteric questions are answered authoritatively.

Many thanks.

Cordially,
highhatsize

Received Zinwell WB616 w/danger messag

Dear dishrich et al.,

Just received my Zinwell WB616 from Solid Signal. With regard to terminator caps, the manufacturer included a separate warning on yellow, (i.e. eye-catching), paper that you should never use them. Following is the instructions that I received if you want to read them from the horse's mouth"

"IMPORTANT NOTICE

Only a multi-switch (3x4,etc) with an off-air, UHF/VHF input requires 75 ohm terminators on all un-connected outputs. This is to minimize ghosting on off-air analog TV reception or dropout of off-air digital signals.

A multi-sw with no off-air input (4x4, 4x8, 6x8, 6x16, etc.) does not require any terminators on the un-connected outputs. Under no circumstance an installer may put 75 ohm terminators on any un-connected inputs. To do so will cause the satellite receiver's input to short out. This causes system malfunction and the overheating of terminators."

Just for people like me, they follow the written instructions with diagrams of every multi-switch from 3x4 to 6x16 with red "exes" and the exclamation, "No!", over every unused port where a satellite tyro might think of putting one.

Apparently, they are only required on the unused output ports of the 3x4 multiswitch where there are two separate satellite leads and one off-air leading in, and four output ports, two of which are unused.

They are, the pictures make clear, NEVER NEVER NEVER used on unused input ports, and simply not required on output ports.

The WB616 came equipped with plastic dust cover caps on every one of the ports, including the AC power port, (23, to be exact), and they are what I will use on the unoccupied ports following installation.

- - -UNLESS- - -, and I insert this caveat because Zinwell seemed positively apoplectic at the notion that one would use a terminator cap on an input port, UNLESS someone here advises me that one shouldn't even put dust cover caps on input ports.

And so, the saga continues. I will let you know, after the new multiswitch is hooked up, whether the digitization issue is resolved. If not, I'll call in Crawford to take a look and let you know what he does. (Unless the solution is so embarrassingly simple-minded that I am too ashamed to post it.)

Muchas gracias,

alto sombrero de tamaño

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CSS on DTV

Don't change any programming package (fixed)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)