Thank YOU...

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
I wish to vent. With Enigma2 study, it requires dealing with European forums. People are RUDE, people are short and critical. I am a very knowledgeable person that is quite capable. I am very happy with reading documentation and working it out myself, but this information is rarely available or not easily found. So, i post into various threads trying to get help, and people talk down to you and criticize you if you don't frame the question correctly, or if you provide information that they believe isn't relevant or they feel like you haven't done your due diligence. Well, its hard to do due diligence when you cannot find literature, and no one is forthcoming.

Its quite annoying and frustrating. I have NEVER run into that here. I just wish i could get the information i need on this side of the pond.

I am running a DreamOS. I have a very old EPGimport plugin im using.. I found another EPGimport that is actively maintained, and thought it would be a good idea if i could update my EPGimport to utilize a newer actively maintained plugin by Dorik1972. The little comments give the impression that it is backwards compatible, but when i attempt to run the plugin with my current config files, it crashes or imports 0 events. I am trying to figure out why, as the internal error logs are not helping me to point out where the issues are.

SO, I just wanted to send out a thanks to the great people here in the FTA threads. There is too much turmoil in the world for people to argue and pick a fight when all i am trying to do is expand my knowledge and improve the community as a whole...

I'm compelled to reply. In dealing with offshore forums which are largely European. Yes. There are members who are arrogant. To drop a few names. Jens from linuxsat-support is a very cool dude who gave me the most help of anyone when I brought my dish out of mothballs. Very patient and informative. Another guy there pushed PurE2 like it was sliced bread. Very disrespectful and nationalistic. He faded away.
Another site has a programmer who is giving me tips and a bit of patient tutorials for multicasting. Which I believe is the next era of FTA since chipsets that are in current receivers like the Mio are dated and codecs needed for the next gen broadcasts (like NASA pulled some months back) are hard coded in the receivers.

So. Slowly. Like using the webif to bounce content to VLC. I'm finding that I can duplicate what a TBS card can do and emulate what CATV/ISP is doing with IPTV as they slowly migrate from cable boxes to streaming devices.
Anyhoo. European forums largely believe that how we receive sat signals on our receivers is entirely different from those received in the CONUS compared to "there".

A few of the cool guys on the other forums have taught me a lot about using dvbsnoop, Linux console commands and scripts. With a 'try this and tell me how it works'......'and get back to me' bit of interest. Big BIG thanks to them.
Very much so like EB has done from time to time. Perhaps its the wording and how the question is presented. Or just grabbing the interest of the right dude. And ignoring the buttholes.

As far as a nicely populated and updated EPG goes. I'd love to have that. I know it was relatively easy using Mediaportal and EPG Buddy to parse and format an EPG with data from TV Guide.
Getting it into my receiver is another animal. No dice.
I would love to find a link to a step by step instructional to get an EPG on my Mio. So far info is scattered and in the experimental stage. Unless things have changed.

Sorry. I've been in the same situations also. I enjoy helping and perhaps bringing light to those who have difficulties. But I sure as hell don't know it all.

I have found some good people abroad too, but they are hard to surface...

Ill give you an example. Here someone creates a brand new account, and i see some of them post a unspecific question and people on here sincerely try and help. Take that same scenario to other forums and people criticize you saying this question has already been answered should you have taken the time to read the forums. - But, i also know from doing many searches, sometimes you cannot figure out the right combination of search words to yield you what you are looking for... It takes someone familiar with the forum to give you a heads up or point you in the right direction.

I do have a fully functional EPG on my STB, but.... It is not yet user friendly for the average user to setup. My questioning abroad was in attempts to find a EPGimport plugin that worked in both IPK and DEB installations and create a more user friendly situation. Right now, i have to use two different plugins for various STB's. I came to find out that the plugin they advertise as working on DreamOS, in fact gives the error i was getting and does not work on a DreamOs if it utilizes a tuner...

My hardest time with the EPG is figuring out all the illegal characters and changing them to what is compatible with what E2 EPG supports. Example the ' & ' or the ' < ' key etc etc. I attempted to find that on the internet to no avail.... If you let an illegal character through, it can crash the EPGimport or just abort the current import. It can be hit or miss figuring out when/why it fails.

Reactions: arlo and c-spand