The 622 is a piece of junk.

Annie2005

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
California
All I have had is problems. First, try recording a program and watching another on TV1. all fine OK? yeah, until someone trys to watch on TV2 and can't switch the channel. Then just try on TV1 to set ONE program to record in 5 minutes. It doesn't give you a choice to record on TV1 or 2. So i guess it picks 1. Want to change the channel? no way! you have to stop recording to change channels. Had to switch TV2 to a TV no one watches so I wouldn't have the first problem of interferring with TV2 watching. But doesn't solve all the other problems. Was recording two shows, started watching one and decided to watch the other. wouldn't let me change channels. Tried stopping the recording of the first show. It wouldn't let me stop recording or delete. Kept saying recording in action wait til later. No way you can choose to watch the other show.If you start taping a live show, you can pick TV2 and then change the channel, but not if the show before is still taping and if you start on TV1, forget it you can't change the channel without stopping the recording. It's a pain in the neck. And:mad: then there is all the audio problems. First the sound went out when I backed up the show with the 10 second backup. I was trying to hear something I missed so no luck there. Then I recorded a show. I had watched the beginning and then turned off TV and went to bed. When I went to watch the show there was no sound at all. Not even the part I had heard when I was watching. Then the sound on FOX went in and out and I missed most of House. And then it went out of sync. Same thing next night. If it does it during 24, I am throwing it out the window and getting TiVo.

Please read this only after cooling down. :)

As far as all of your TV1/TV2/recording two shows/changing channels issues, you said too many things to answer in one post. But it sounds as though you need to read through the manual a bit and understand the items below as it can do everything you said without any issues, assuming you understand how. Read up on....

1) TV1 vs TV2
2) Dual mode vs Single mode
3) Record Plus

As for your audio issues, many people have been experiencing problems with Fox in the last week so I think it is a network issue. The problems were with the exact shows you mentioned.

Once you grasp all of that I think you'll be happier with your 622 (but yes it is not perfect and does have some problems)

Can't be a network problem, because my other TV with a DVR 510 was having no problems at all. I've read tha manual over and over. Just tried to set a show to tape 10 minutes before 9:00. It set it a TV1, didn't give me a choice of TV2. Naturally when I tried to watch another channel it wouldn't let me change. Maybe somethig is wrong with the box.

Yeah it could be something wrong with the box. Call Dish and let them know, and see if they will send you a replacement.

What he said. :) The problem is lack of understanding of the capabilities of the receiver.

The receiver allows you to play up to two recordings at once while recording two satellite channels and one over the air HD channel at the same time. Play 2/Record 3 at one time. Now whether you use 1 or 2 TVs, the capability does not change. You can still watch/record only two satellite channels at the same time.

You can use the unit as two one tuner receivers in one box with an over the air TV recorder attached to one of them. Or you can use it as a dual tuner receiver with an over the air TV recorder.

In dual mode (running two TVs independently as if this one unit were two receivers in one) and record plus feature turned off:

TV1 can - >
watch one satellite channel while recording one OTA Digital channel
Watch one OTA Digital channel while recording a satellite channel
Watch a recording while recording a satellite channel AND/or a digital OTA channel

TV2 can- >
Watch a satellite channel
Watch a recording while recording satellite channel

If TV Plus is enabled, you can use the TV1 and TV2 tuners to either watch or record another satellite channel, but it is the same thing as moving the other TV set to where you are. It does not add another tuner to the receiver.

So it sounds like to me that you are trying to use the 622 as if it were a three or four satellite tuner receiver when in fact it only has 2 tuners+OTA Digital tuner.

See ya
Tony

As to stopping the recording problem while your were playing back the recording, it may have to do with the TV1/TV2 confusion. If you have a recording playing back, paused or in some state other than "ended" (say you pause do anything else before imediately trying to delete the recodting) and you try to delete it, it wont let you. This is a "safety feature" for true dual mode use. You don't one whoever is using TV1 to delete a recording some one is watching on TV2. The "wait til later" message is telling you the other TV is using the recording right now. I found all you need to do is go back to the DVR menu, start the playback. Stop it and delete it then.

It all seems to be operator malfunction right now.

See ya
Tony

And by the time you've done that, you've missed the whole beginning of the show.
Yes, TV1 can watch a channel, TV2 can watch a channel, But I cannot pick one of the two to watch, I can only watch one of them and if I try to switch to watch the other, it won't let me. It may be designed that way but it is poorly designed. TiVo does not work like that. And if only one show is recording and nothing else going on, I can't change the channel unless it is recording on Tv2 which I had no choice of unless starting recording live. I don't see what else I could do.

If you enable Record Plus on TV2, you would not be having some of these problems. Keep reading the manual...it's all there.

Ofcourse TiVo is not like the 622. It's similar, but it's not TiVo. I have ran into quite a few people lately that have been switching from D* Dual Tuner Single output TiVo units and they are thinking the 622, or even a 625 works exactly the same.

As mentioned, this sounds like operator error.

It sounds to me as if you would rather have the 622 in single mode, however doing so will pretty much eliminate TV2 requiring you to get another reciever... I think you'd be much happier this way.

I usually have both my 622's set to single .. so the main user can switch channels even though something is recording.. when we have company staying the in the other bedroom I turn on dual mode, but with the understanding we can't change channels when it's recording..

Folks need to realize that, if they want to use the 622 in dual mode, they have 2 independent sat. receivers in one box! No PIP, no real "record one while watching another". If you want this kind of capability, you've got to do single mode. (I've, literally, never had my 622 in dual mode).

This one feature of E*'s new receivers must cause more discontent/CSR calls than any other.....

TiVo does not work like that. And if only one show is recording and nothing else going on, I can't change the channel unless it is recording on Tv2 which I had no choice of unless starting recording live. I don't see what else I could do.

How many TVs were connected to your Tivo....one? The two TVs connected is causing your confusion.

So either spend some more time with the manual and understand exactly what it does or disconnect TV2, set the 622 to Single mode, and get a separate box for your other TV. Then it will behave more like your Tivo.

Some installers are giving bad information on dual tuner DVR's too.

My parents (both in their late 60's) do a lot of recording while watching stuff on 2 different TV's, so I knew they would not like the functionality offered by one dual tuner DVR (that is, the 2nd tuner would be used for recording, limiting what could be watched on the 2nd TV). So I told them to request a 2nd receiver for the other TV when they put the order through.

But the installer got there and told them they could record 1 or 2 shows on each TV and still watch something totally different, all with the 1 dual tuner DVR.

Worse yet, because of the way their previous cable was installed, put the unit in the basement by the least watched TV making it TV1 and their main TV TV2 (which also limited their hookups to the least desirable for sound and picture quality on their main TV...which was TV2).

Basically, he did what was easiest for himself. Of course they hated it.

So I told them to call them back out and install it as ordered. Same guy came out, made some configuration changes in the menu, said it was all possible now. Of course it wasn't, so I told them to once again call them out and put in the extra receiver (after moving the DVR up to the main TV). By this point DISH said since they didn't get it with the initial install it would cost them $99.

Finally after some arguing over that's what they requested on the initial install but the installer talked them out of it...they got it.

After I went over and switched out the connections (coax for S-Video and RCA cables) for better picture and sound...they absolutely love it.

My point being...some installers in a hurry or not knowing what they're talking about are not doing Dish any favors by talking the customer out of things they really need, then hooking them up cheaply (there's certainly a picture quality difference in S-Video over coax; and I don't even think coax gives stereo sound, so the RCA cables improved the audio as well).

On a similar note...I have a 622 and love it, despite the occasional reboot...and the heat it produces (which is causing me to install a fan in my cabinet since right now I'm forced to leave the door open which is an eyesore).

:haha Or several of us could compete to stand outside the window! Throw me something, Mister! :wave

Actually, there is a problem selecting which channel you want to watch when recording two satellite programs. When in single mode, if you're on one, and want to go to the other, IIRC you have to go thru PIP. Not elegant. Screen should just appear and let you select which to watch. e.g.-

You are recording with both satellite tuners.
Use your up/down buttons to select from the below:

1. Continue watching channel X, currently being recorded.
2. Switch to watching channel Y, currently being recorded.
3. Stop recording channel X to watch another channel.
4. Stop recording channel Y to watch another channel.

Folks need to realize that, if they want to use the 622 in dual mode, they have 2 independent sat. receivers in one box! No PIP, no real "record one while watching another". If you want this kind of capability, you've got to do single mode. (I've, literally, never had my 622 in dual mode).

This one feature of E*'s new receivers must cause more discontent/CSR calls than any other.....

I have the vip 622 in Dual Mode and record off Turner 2 all the time.
Menu > 8 > 6 > Enable > TV2 > Done

Actually, there is a problem selecting which channel you want to watch when recording two satellite programs. When in single mode, if you're on one, and want to go to the other, IIRC you have to go thru PIP. Not elegant. Screen should just appear and let you select which to watch. e.g.-

You are recording with both satellite tuners.
Use your up/down buttons to select from the below:

1. Continue watching channel X, currently being recorded.
2. Switch to watching channel Y, currently being recorded.
3. Stop recording channel X to watch another channel.
4. Stop recording channel Y to watch another channel.

Why not just go into your recordings and select the one you want to watch.

All I have had is problems. First, try recording a program and watching another on TV1. all fine OK? yeah, until someone trys to watch on TV2 and can't switch the channel.

Are you in Single Mode or Dual Mode. The Right front panel swings out to reveil the mode change button (Dual Mode, the 2nd yellow led from left will be lit)

In Dual Mode it's no different then havng two single turner DVR 510's in one box.
But by using "Record Plus", you can force a recording on Turner2
Menu > 8 > 6 Enable > TV2 > Done

Normally in Dual Mode "Record Plus" is Disabled

Then just try on TV1 to set ONE program to record in 5 minutes. It doesn't give you a choice to record on TV1 or 2. So i guess it picks 1. Want to

If "Record Plus" is enabled to TV2 it will give TV1 or TV2 choice.

first show. It wouldn't let me stop recording or delete. Kept saying recording in action wait til later. No way you can choose to watch the other show.If you start taping a live show, you can pick TV2 and then change the channel, but not if th

If the recording was started manually, stoping a Turner2/TV2 recording that's a problem in Dual Mode, but if the recording was started from a guide timer. This will stop the recordng
Menu > 7 > Timers > pick choice > Delete

e show before is still taping and if you start on TV1, forget it you can't change the channel without stopping the recording. It's a pain in the neck. And:mad: then there is all the audio problems. First the sound went out when I backed up the show with the 10 second backup. I was trying to hear something I missed so no luck there. Then I recorded a show. I had watched the beginning and then turned off TV and went to bed. When I went to watch the show there was no sound at all. Not even the part I had heard when I was watching. Then the sound on FOX went in and out and I missed most of House. And then it went out of sync. Same thing next night. If it does it during 24, I am throwing it out the window and getting TiVo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)