The Dodgers Season is Over

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
It was a nice run while it lasted, but today is the day that will officially mark their season ending Mets-like demise. I predicted before the season started, even though every "expert" said they would finish in first, that the Dodgers would finish in 3rd and the Giants will win the division. Within 1 week from today the Rockies will be in first place and the Dodgers will never see that spot again.

In their last 22 games they went 8 - 14.

Reason for their demise:

1. Torre's poor managing of the pitching staff. Although the starters are capable of going more innings, Torry pulls them way to early. This had a detrimental effect on a sold bullpen that is now to tired and has no way of recuperating. He ruined many reliever arms in NY and he is doing the same here.
  2. The Dodgers inability to hit constantly
  3. Starters that do not know how to get out of jams because Torre never allows them to try
Anyway, it will soon be time for me to dust off my USC football gear to get ready for the college football season.

cooked-cardinal.jpg

It was a nice run while it lasted, but today is the day that will officially mark their season ending Mets-like demise. I predicted before the season started, even though every "expert" said they would finish in first, that the Dodgers would finish in 3rd and the Giants will win the division. Within 1 week from today the Rockies will be in first place and the Dodgers will never see that spot again.

In their last 22 games they went 8 - 14.

Reason for their demise:

1. Torre's poor managing of the pitching staff. Although the starters are capable of going more innings, Torry pulls them way to early. This had a detrimental effect on a sold bullpen that is now to tired and has no way of recuperating. He ruined many reliever arms in NY and he is doing the same here.
  2. The Dodgers inability to hit constantly
  3. Starters that do not know how to get out of jams because Torre never allows them to try
Anyway, it will soon be time for me to dust off my USC football gear to get ready for the college football season.

Bwahahahahahahhahahahahah! Have you gone duff amigo????? :confused::)

it's easy to be a fan when things are going good, but a true fan sticks it out. And yes I am dodgers fan also, but I will not abandon ship. yes, things are bad at the moment, but there is still many more games to play. but if you want to jump off, feel free. I am painfully bleeding dodger blue at the moment, but I will keep hope alive.

Way to abandon your team!

First you say the Giants are going to zoom by, then the Dodgers win two out of three.

Now, you're abandoning ship and declaring the division over.

Have you thought of the possibility that maybe, just maybe, the Rockies could fall apart in September?

P.S. When the Dodgers make the playoffs, you are NOT welcome on the bandwagon!

True fans stick it out, and you do NOT remind me of a true fan.

I can't wait to see you crawling back when the Rockies fall apart down the stretch.

This has nothing to do with being a fan. Trust me, I am a fan when they finish in first or in last. I am simply posting the time I believe the season officially turns for the worst and the reasons for it as well (namely Torre).

Don't get me wrong, as a fan I am rooting for them to succeed and will continue to watch each game hoping for the best. The realists in me knew before the season started that they were not going to finish in first.

Why today and not yesterday or a week from today? Perhaps because today's game was sort of symbolic of the whole season:

1. A pitcher dominating only to be taken out by an injury; symbolic of the season...early domination and put out prior to the end of the game (All indications are he is going to be just fine or I would not have posted this part).
  2. The opposing team pretty much giving them every opportunity to score and the Dodgers pretty much saying, "No thanks!"
  3. Mr. save blower, blowing yet another game late when it was one they should have locked up (symbolic of the season, early lead and blow it late). The blown saves have been injury related as well.

Way to abandon your team!

First you say the Giants are going to zoom by, then the Dodgers win two out of three.

Now, you're abandoning ship and declaring the division over.

Have you thought of the possibility that maybe, just maybe, the Rockies could fall apart in September?

P.S. When the Dodgers make the playoffs, you are NOT welcome on the bandwagon!

True fans stick it out, and you do NOT remind me of a true fan.

I can't wait to see you crawling back when the Rockies fall apart down the stretch.
I am anything but a band-wagoner and I did not abandon them. I am simply stating what I believe to be the truth. I am hoping I am wrong and will be rooting for them for the rest of the season.

IOW, as a fan of the Dodgers I will be rooting for them through the highs and lows and hope it doesn't happen. As a fan of baseball I am simply stating what I believe will happen, even though I don't want it to.

There is nothing to crawl back to because I never left in the first place. If I am wrong, which I hope I am, I will admit it. But that has nothing to do with me being a fan.

Fans don't have to be blind. They can still root for their team and accept what they believe to be reality as well (even if that reality is negative).

Let me put another perspective of this. As a die hard fan that follows every single aspect of the Dodgers I see things that many on here do not see.

Example, last year the D-Backs were running away with the west and everyone gave them the Division. Mark Grace was interviewed on Dodger radio when the D-Backs were still in first but slowly losing the lead and said, the D-Backs are done. Steiner was surprised. Grace said he is a huge fan of the D-Backs, works for the team, and as both does not want it to be true. He said I have to give you my honest opinion as someone around this team without my biased blinder on; this team does not have it to make it through the rest of the year.

Well, I don't work for them, but I do religiously follow them, and I too see things about this team that I must accept as reality. As a fan I hope I am wrong, but I cannot let my own bias blind what the reality I see. I will say the same that Grace said, "This team is done!"

Of course they can make some miraculous turnaround in which starters can dominate for 8 innings, or they make some big trade, but I don't see that happening. Sorry!

I now understand what you mean, DodgerKing.

I felt the same way about the Bills last year- they started 4-0 and 5-1, but after Trent Edwards got knocked out in Arizona and they lost to Miami, I felt the team was in trouble.

DK,

Do you not even think they'll make it into the playoffs?

P.S. That line drive into Kuroda's head last night brought back nightmares of Ishii to me!!!!:eek:

P.S.S. Quickly off topic...who will USC's starting QB be? Will Corp heal in time?

I didn't think they would make the playoffs before the season started. There good start was a very pleasant surprise. If they do it will because of how they started the season, not how they finished it.

As far as USC's QB, it will probably be Mitch Mustain

Even though the team looks tired, overworked, and finished, a big winning streak can change everything.

Please put together a big winning streak, Dodgers. Let's do 10 in a row starting now.

Torre's poor managing of the pitching staff. Although the starters are capable of going more innings, Torry pulls them way to early. This had a detrimental effect on a sold bullpen that is now to tired and has no way of recuperating. He ruined many reliever arms in NY and he is doing the same here.

Hmmmm.
Seems like Mariono is doing quite well, he pitched everyday for Torre

So one iron man is a way to show Torre doesn't overuse relievers?

Tell that to Steve Karsay, Chris Hammond, Paul Quantrill, Tom Gordon, Scott Proctor, Cory Wade, Ronald Belisario, and many more.

Google Torre and bullpen and see the number of articles claiming the same.

Teams go through bad stretches every season. To say the season is over, while still in first place by 4.5 games mind you, is ridiculous.

Granted, being in Chicago (and a White Sox fan at that) I can't say I watch many Dodgers games. However, I'm going to say Torre knows what he's doing more than we do. Four titles with plenty more playoff appearances (even with good talent in place) means something.

You could have the other extreme in having Dusty Baker and have your pitcher's arms fall off. Edinson Volquez was this season's casualty. Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, have been victims in the past. Short of Randy Wolf (who has had plenty of injury problems anyways), who has the experience of going deep time and time again?

Especially with the Dodgers having younger, still-developing talent, you want to see Billingsley and Kershaw pitch for 10 more years, right?

Even if the Dodgers should let the division lead go (they won't), the Wildcard currently comes out of that division.

Yes, there's still plenty of baseball left to make up or lose ground--but how many other teams would rather be in your spot than theirs?

Last edited:
So one iron man is a way to show Torre doesn't overuse relievers?

Tell that to Steve Karsay, Chris Hammond, Paul Quantrill, Tom Gordon, Scott Proctor, Cory Wade, Ronald Belisario, and many more.

Google Torre and bullpen and see the number of articles claiming the same.

Not a good one on that list :confused:

This is a great series matchup the next three days here in L.A. between division leaders....the Cards are in town!;) And the Cards just won a hard-fought, twice-delayed, come from behind game at home to pump them up!

And for another series the Dodgers will be facing an ace pitcher (or two) with their rookie call ups because of starting pitcher injuries AND Torres reluctance to allow his capable starters to pitch more innings. Can we say that the bullpen well get overused yet again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)