The MLB Network starts Jan. 1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Is this channel going to be available to everybody?

The MLB Network is scheduled to launch on January 1, 2009, at which time it will be delivered to approximately 50 million homes based on its estimates from current distribution agreements with DirecTV, Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Cablevision Systems Corporation, Charter Communications Holdings LLC and over 25 other smaller cable operators (collectively called “Affiliates”). Based upon the number of homes in which it will be available, The MLB Network is expected to have the most successful launch of a new cable network in television history.

^ And anyone who subscribes to Extra Innings.

The MLB Network is scheduled to launch on January 1, 2009, at which time it will be delivered to approximately 50 million homes based on its estimates from current distribution agreements with DirecTV, Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Cablevision Systems Corporation, Charter Communications Holdings LLC and over 25 other smaller cable operators (collectively called “Affiliates”). Based upon the number of homes in which it will be available, The MLB Network is expected to have the most successful launch of a new cable network in television history.

^ And anyone who subscribes to Extra Innings.

So if you don't have extra innings you don't get it. Well that blows.

MLB Network has hired Hazel Mae, Matt Vesgharian, Harold Reynolds and Al Leiter. I'm sure I'm missing a few but Reynolds is good and so is Leiter. Leiter is still going to be on YES.

Still no word about what they are actually going to show on the network. They said they were going to show a studio show, classic games and the WBC. I wish they would elaborate.

Hazel Mae did a great job with the Sox broadcasts on NESN. She'll make a fine addition to the MLB Network team.

HM.jpg

Is there even the slightest chance Dish will relent and pay the e(deleted) price for rights to carry MLB channel and or MLB Extra Innings? Please strike the e word I used in the previous sentence. I don't want to start a war of words. I just want MLB without the hassle of changing to Direct or God forbid cable.

Is there even the slightest chance Dish will relent and pay the e(deleted) price for rights to carry MLB channel and or MLB Extra Innings? Please strike the e word I used in the previous sentence. I don't want to start a war of words. I just want MLB without the hassle of changing to Direct or God forbid cable.

I doubt DISH will get into the MLB this year, they balked at it last year and I don't see any reason this year would be any different.

MLB Network Adds Another Analyst

This press release is far less glamorous than the last one which announced the hirings of Vasgersian, Leiter, Reynolds, Kusnierek and Hazel Mae, but it's still another nice pickup for the newly formed network. MLB-N has add former MLB Pitcher, and Rays Broadcaster, Joe Magrane will join the team and be an analyst on the network's studio show....

Magrane will join the cast of MLB Tonight, the live, nightly studio show that will be the signature program of the new network, and Hot Stove, a live, nightly off-season studio show. All of the on-air personalities will appear on both shows,as well as other programming across MLB Network, which will launch on January 1, 2009, in approximately 50 million homes as the largest network debut in cable history.

“Bringing Joe into the fold continues our trend of hiring high caliber, versatile talent who weknow can be successful in a wide variety of roles,” said Tony Petitti, President and Chief Executive Officer of MLB Network. “Joe’s experience as a broadcaster and a player speaks for itself, and hispresence [sic] will clearly enrich our programming.”
Awful Announcing: MLB Network Adds Another Analyst

Is this channel going to be available to everybody?
Everybody who is willing to pay a digital cable box rental fee to their cable company.

Because, in my opinion, it's a virtual certainty that it won't be on analog expanded basic cable like ESPN is. Therefore, the cable co. will charge for the cable box in order for viewers to receive the channel.

If that is the case, MLB Network won't be available to me.

Update on the MLB Network and their new Studios:

mlb%2Bnetwork.jpg

SECAUCUS, N.J. – MLB Network today unveiled the designs and set details of the two studios at its Secaucus, NJ headquarters. Named to honor Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson, “Studio 3” and “Studio 42” total 15,200 square feet, including 9,600 square feet for Studio 42 alone. Every video display in both studios will be fully native HD, as will all video produced at the studios. MLB Network will launch on January 1, 2009, in approximately 50 million homes as the largest network debut in cable history.

Studio 3 will be the primary home of the live nightly studio show, MLB Tonight. Measuring 5,600 square feet, Studio 3 features 62 video displays, including a 30x7-foot rear projection screen, 108” and 103” monitors, as well as a Perceptive Pixel touch screen display, which will allow MLB Network personalities to interact with and change graphics and images on-screen. The studio will feature a desk that can rotate to various stations and includes six distinct broadcast areas, including a balcony, stat center, and interview area. The ceiling is ringed by backlit logos of all 30 MLB teams and the entire studio features lighting that can be altered to give it the feel of day or night.

Studio 42 measures 9,600 square feet, and will be used as a demonstration center by MLB Network’s on-air talent, which includes former players Al Leiter, Joe Magrane and Harold Reynolds. Studio 42 is designed to be a replica baseball field, featuring a half-scale infield made of field turf, measuring 45 feet from base to base and a pitcher’s mound 30 feet from home plate that can be moved back for more realistic demonstrations. The studio also features a replica outfield wall, complete with padding, brick designs, three different seating areas that can hold up to 173 people, and a 25-foot out-of-town scoreboard loosely modeled after the scoreboard at Citizen’s Bank Park in Philadelphia that will be updated in real-time.

Sounds fancy right? Well it looks even more spectacular in these photos that they released with the descriptions of both....

mlb%2Bnetwork%2Btwo.jpg

mlb%2Bnetwork%2Bone.jpg

Pretty, huh? The network is still looking launch on January 1st, and to about 50 million homes. They are also saying that the debut will be the largest in "cable television history and will be broadcast to more than 20 million homes than the previous high. The rumor is that they'll also be trying to acquire rights to Thursday night games, so they wouldn't be up against any other national broadcasts, and they would use studio analysts as announcers (the previous spot was said to be Saturdays).

See MLB did what the NFL should of done. Not charge a outreagous price for their network to get a wider coverage. Once the station gets established then they can work on higher rates. NFL was just to greedy.

Pretty, huh? The network is still looking launch on January 1st, and to about 50 million homes. They are also saying that the debut will be the largest in "cable television history and will be broadcast to more than 20 million homes than the previous high. The rumor is that they'll also be trying to acquire rights to Thursday night games, so they wouldn't be up against any other national broadcasts, and they would use studio analysts as announcers (the previous spot was said to be Saturdays).

Why not do both Thur and Sat nights? Two nights a week of live games would be a solid amount, as it is the live games that makes a sports network worthwhile. Couple that with a 1-2 nights of minor league games each week plus the requisite studio shows and classic games and you have a pretty solid broadcast lineup -- much better than the NFL Network and it's minimal live games.

Also, is there any word about international games? We know they'll carry some of the World Baseball Classic. But what about Japan or Korean league games? Or the Caribbean World Series? Or the domestic leagues that play into that (Mexico, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, etc.)?

See MLB did what the NFL should of done. Not charge a outreagous price for their network to get a wider coverage.

They did charge an outrageout price - the EI package carriage fee.

I bet when the complete list shows up, you'll see carriage on systems that have EI, and no carriage on those that don't have EI (largest: E*)

I'm hoping for mlb.tv carriage so I can maybe watch some of it in my annual mlb.tv subscription.

MLB Network: TV Schedule

Check out the schedule. What a shock!!! They are actually showing classic games. And not that 2 hr. water down crap that you see elsewhere. It seems like THE FULL GAMES!! Thank God. Maybe I'm wrong but this network looks pretty good so far just by reading the schedule. What do you think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts