The most telling sign I've seen so far regarding Voom's fate?

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
The most telling sign I've seen so far regarding Voom's fate!

Just speculation, but....

There's a store called Brandsmart that has been offering a 300.00 Voom rebate with the purchase of a big-screen HDTV for the past couple of months.

As of today, they have stopped this rebate offer.

lostcause said:
Just speculation, but....

There's a store called Brandsmart that has been offering a 300.00 Voom rebate with the purchase of a big-screen HDTV for the past couple of months.

As of today, they have stopped this rebate offer.

Ehhh... I see it as a sign of maybe the offer expired? I really do not see the Grim Reaper clutching the offer in his hand going to Voom's door. :)

Indy said:
Ehhh... I see it as a sign of maybe the offer expired? I really do not see the Grim Reaper clutching the offer in his hand going to Voom's door. :)

They've had this offer going on for at least 4 or 5 months now....

Brandsmart puts out their sale flyers on Tuesdays and Fridays (or roughly around there). So, you think it's only coincidence that the first flyer to be put out after the announced sale of Voom's satellite(not to mention the article that specifically said voom was shutting down), no longer has the voom rebate??

Personally that sounds like a mighty big coincidence to me.....

It will be a lot easy to know if someone could get a hold of a flyer and look at the expiration date. Better yet why not stop by the store and ask since their website states that they do not provide information over the phone or online about products.

Sean, I know this store well. There has never been an expiration date on this rebate offer...it was a promo they have had ongoing for months and months...they used to have a similar deal with directv, but when voom came out apparently voom made a deal with this store to promote HD.

This was a huge marketing tool for this store, as it allowed them to advertise the TVs at 300.00 lower than their actual price, after factoring in the rebate if the customer signed up for a 6 month voom contract.

lostcause said:
Sean, I know this store well. There has never been an expiration date on this rebate offer...it was a promo they have had ongoing for months and months...they used to have a similar deal with directv, but when voom came out apparently voom made a deal with this store to promote HD.

This was a huge marketing tool for this store, as it allowed them to advertise the TVs at 300.00 lower than their actual price, after factoring in the rebate if the customer signed up for a 6 month voom contract.

This could just be the store's way of avoiding possible legal action from customers if Voom does go down. Every store knows how quick customers resort to lawsuits when things go bad. Doesn't exactly mean they know any thing more than we do.

Aldous said:
This could just be the store's way of avoiding possible legal action from customers if Voom does go down. Every store knows how quick customers resort to lawsuits when things go bad. Doesn't exactly mean they know any thing more than we do.

I'm not saying the store knows anything more than we do. The way the offer was set up, according to the people at the store I spoke to about it was that Voom would give the store 300.00 for each voom customer they signed up (of course I may be completely wrong about this...but it's how it was explained to me by the store people).

What I'm saying is that it looks to me as if voom will no longer give the store anything to sign up new customers. It doesn't matter if the store knows or doesn't know why voom is cancelling this promo.

I suppose it could be nothing, but it's just too big of a coincidence for me.

Aldous said:
They could also be protecting their bottom line. They probably get a kickback from VOOM for each set they sell with that promo. If VOOM goes away, they don't get paid.

mdonnelly said:
They could also be protecting their bottom line. They probably get a kickback from VOOM for each set they sell with that promo. If VOOM goes away, they don't get paid.

Exactly my point. It could either be that the store knows something, or that voom simply told them "that's it, no more rebates..."

My guess is the latter. Voom just told them their promo is done.

And yes, they DO get a kickback from voom. That's how the rebate deal was structured.

lostcause said:
Exactly my point. It could either be that the store knows something, or that voom simply told them "that's it, no more rebates..."

And yes, they DO get a kickback from voom. That's how the rebate deal was structured.
hehe - I guess we both hit the submit button at the same time. :)

What if it was NOT a Voom promotion. What if it was a store promotion. You buy a HDTV from me, and I will set you up with the best HD content provider available, Voom, a offer valued at $300.00. Now that Voom may go away, they would be wise not to offer something that may not continue to be an asset to there customers or they may not be able to purchase for them in the near future.

Just a thought....

I will try to pass by Brandsmart tonight, and post back any information. If i run late at work, I will go tomorrow at lunch time and check things out.

By the way, a Voom installer is coming by my house tomorrow to upgrade my satellite dish. I will find a thread, amongst the many, to post any new information I learn from the installer, or if the installation does not occur.

lostcause said:

Sorry, I realize I didn't really explain very well what I meant. What I was saying is that they probably heard the rumors like us and responded by discontinuing the offer. Not offering the rebate doesn't mean that Voom told them no more rebates. Voom could still be offering it to them, but they are affraid that Voom will stop transmitting, and the customer will say they bought the TV for the content. So the customer goes after the store as well as Voom for the money they spent. So the stores owner(s) or legal people told them to just end the offer.

SactoCal said:
What if it was NOT a Voom promotion. What if it was a store promotion. You buy a HDTV from me, and I will set you up with the best HD content provider available, Voom, a offer valued at $300.00. Now that Voom may go away, they would be wise not to offer something that may not continue to be an asset to there customers or they may not be able to purchase for them in the near future.

Just a thought....

When I bought my TV there in May, I recieved a $500 mail in rebate, which I just cashed last week. It should have been paid in 8 to 10 weeks, but I had to make a few calls to ensure that I recieved it. The $500 was paid by Voom. . . not Brandsmart.

Even more telling is that VOOM is completely off their website. No mention of Voom under company listings anymore (even tried looking for RainbowDBS)
When you search the site for VOOM nothing comes up.
I wonder if they ended their relationship with VOOM?

rtt2 said:
Even more telling is that VOOM is completely off their website. No mention of Voom under company listings anymore (even tried looking for RainbowDBS)
When you search the site for VOOM nothing comes up.
I wonder if they ended their relationship with VOOM?
Look under "Corporate Info -> Programming -> Rainbow Media".

I'm telling you....although several people don't believe me, this is a sign.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts