This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

The "New" DirecTV HD DVR coming out soon!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mr_rua

Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
I called customer retention on Saturday (07/08/2006) trying to get a HD DVR (no MPEG 4 support) for cheap and this is what I found out. According to the CSR, production of the new HD DVR (w/ MPEG 4 support) has began. However they will not offer the new HD DVR until early Fall 2006 because:

1. Have not produced enough units for mass release
  2. Need to train the installers on the new unit

I can only hope that the CSR is right and the new HD DVR units will be out Fall 2006, but I'm not holding my breath. Reason I say that is, I called customer retention early June 2006 and I was told the new HD DVR would be offered by the end of July 2006. And from the looks of various posts, this "new" HD DVR was suppose to come out a long time ago.

At this rate we won't see the new HD DVR until Summer 2007.

Ciao!

"supposed to come out a long time ago"? According to who? A CSR? An installer? Maybe according to them.

From an official D* press release? Nope.

I don't understand why people keep assuming just because they heard it through the grapevine, it has to be true and that any deviation from said rumor is a failure of the company. From everything I've read about the HR20, D* has never said officially when they expect to release it.

Just sit back and relax, go enjoy the outdoors while the weather is still good. There are far more important things in life than television The HR20 will be available hopefully sooner than later.

Actually the HR20-250 was originally talked about at the CES show last January, original release date was projected to be End of 2nd quarter, I believe.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Actually the HR20-250 was originally talked about at the CES show last January, original release date was projected to be End of 2nd quarter, I believe.

Jimbo

hey jimbo isnt it the Hr20-700?

If you go to D*s web site and select Order HD-DVR, you get the infamous "The page cannot be displayed". Also if you go to your account and select "Upgrade Equipment", you get the same thing, instead of the upgrade equipment page.

You're absolutely right. I just posted on the HDMI V1.3 output. Unless you're absolutely desperate and have to have HD, wait until Summer of 2007. By then, we should have:

150 National HD Channels (Including Regional Sport Channels in HD)
HD DVR
HD Receiver Box W/HDMI V.1.3 & 1080p output.
TV's that will support 1080p input w/HDMI V.1.3 connects

I'm not upgrading to HD until then. I'm not buying a HD TV until then as
the HD TV's won't have HDMI V1.3 until Spring of 07. I'm not buying a
Blu-Ray Disc player until then as those won't be upgraded with HDMI V.1.3
until Spring of 07. And I won't get my AT9 Dish until next year as well.

Like all of the rest of you, I really got excited about all of new technology
and wanted to upgrade. But I'm glad I've waited and will wait until next
year. Enough of this hand-wringing about D* and the equipment.

Wait it out.

stuart628 said:
hey jimbo isnt it the Hr20-700?
I guess it could be, I would guess the 700 stands for the manufacture ....
I figured the -250 as I have seen it posted, was for the size of the hard drive, Someone correct me on this if this is the case, It's possible that they have not decided on the HD size, I actually hope that it is much larger.

Jimbo

The -250 has never been tagged "official" to the HR20

That was a forum based addition to the model number.

HR20-700 is the official number for the first HR20's off the line.

700 is the manufacturer code, and corresponds to PACE

I'm not upgrading to HD until then. I'm not buying a HD TV until then as
the HD TV's won't have HDMI V1.3 until Spring of 07. I'm not buying a
Blu-Ray Disc player until then as those won't be upgraded with HDMI V.1.3
until Spring of 07. And I won't get my AT9 Dish until next year as well.

Like all of the rest of you, I really got excited about all of new technology
and wanted to upgrade. But I'm glad I've waited and will wait until next
year. Enough of this hand-wringing about D* and the equipment.

Wait it out.[/QUOTE]

Ohhh Podman, my family and I have enjoyed countless hours of HD entertainment over the last year and a half. Hey I am not saying don't wait, but with the NFL, MLB etc...on 108" screen in my den with the kids was and is as they say..."Priceless"!

Ohhh Podman, hey to each his own but...I sure have enjoyed the last year and a half of the NFL, College Football, etc...in HD on my 108" screen in the den with the kids! As they say..."Priceless"!

After watching the premiere Season of "Prison Break", the final Season of "Arrested Development", and a good share of the NFL Season in HD last year and this year, I'm glad I didn't wait.

Trying to stay one step ahead of technology is a fruitless endeavor.

I've been watching tons of HD since late 2001 (nearly five years now). The waiting game can literally last forever for that perfect moment. The perfect time to buy never comes. Get in now and enjoy the vast array of programming out there.

Bob

stuart628 said:
lou_do as of 11:04 both pages show for me

I was in a hotel room using their wireless Internet when I was getting that message. They had a lot of things blocked by their firewall, that must of been one of them. The hotel had D*, and I found I got that message on several D* pages. Home today and got it OK.

ebonovic said:
The -250 has never been tagged "official" to the HR20

That was a forum based addition to the model number.

HR20-700 is the official number for the first HR20's off the line.

700 is the manufacturer code, and corresponds to PACE
Thanks ebonovic,

I did not know for sure...

My question is, who is PACE and what do we know about them ?

jimbo

Considering it means no more Tivo, I have to admit I'm not looking forward to the new box. I have an R15 in the bedroom, and absolutely hate it...

scottie_h said:
Considering it means no more Tivo, I have to admit I'm not looking forward to the new box. I have an R15 in the bedroom, and absolutely hate it...

Why do you hate it ?
Because it's not a TIVO or because you have not become comfortable with it or don't like the software ?

Curios, just want your opinion.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Why do you hate it ?
Because it's not a TIVO or because you have not become comfortable with it or don't like the software ?

Curios, just want your opinion.

Jimbo

well considering the directv claims you have A SERIES LINK, which can only record 1 show on 1 channel, and is not tied to a series, it is limited to 1 channel, which is utter garbage and bull$hit

the fact no search ability,

the fact you have to babysit the thing every day, have reset it ten times more than eny dvr,

and it is unrelaible in recording shows,

has very little info on the tv shows, and on and on and on,

for a dvr been developed and in use for 2 years combined, this thing is an utter failure, no matter what spin p[eople try to say it is good,

of course if directv had more than 10 people working on it, perhaps we could get a box better

Status
Please reply by conversation.