The "new" iPad Announcement / Discussion Thread

I currently have an iPad1 and am looking to replace it eventually as the processing power is not all that good. Even though I will be replacing it I do not need to do so the day the newest iPad comes out. If I can wait 2 years, then I can certainly wait a few more months until all of the hype dies down.

This is one thing Apple is really really good at, marketing. I have not seen a single company as successful as Apple at building such demand for the instantaneous need for the latest and greatest product. They upgrade each product just enough to make many want the upgrade, but still leaving more in order for them to want the next upgrade as well. I may even wait until the next iPad comes out to upgrade.

I am still on a 3GS phone as well. I have yet to get the 4 or the 4s. I will wait until the 5 comes out to see if it is worthy of an upgrade. As long as my phone is still working I may not replace it until the iPhone 6 or 7 comes out, and when I do upgrade I may get the previous generation for less money.

Last edited:
I am slightly annoyed that they didn't upgrade and put stereo speakers in. I mean they're obviously pushing this to be a portable entertainment system and giving it just one speaker seems like a baffling oversight. Don't get me wrong, the current speaker isn't horrible, but it definitely could use some improvement.

I am slightly annoyed that they didn't upgrade and put stereo speakers in. I mean they're obviously pushing this to be a portable entertainment system and giving it just one speaker seems like a baffling oversight. Don't get me wrong, the current speaker isn't horrible, but it definitely could use some improvement.
That is part of leaving you wanting more so you go and buy the next iPad. A very good marketing strategy. This is one reason why Apple has become very successful. This and building some really good quality products that are simple to use and work without very many issues.

Last edited:
I think there are A ton of accessories that you can buy that will add stereo speakers...apple has some of the best accessories there are...I know you have to buy more but it gives you options.

Ilya said:
New in iOS 5.1:

[*]Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
[*]Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
[*]Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
[*]Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
[*]Redesigned Camera app for iPad
[*]Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
[*]Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
[*]Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad
[*]Updated AT&T network indicator
[*]Addresses bugs affecting battery life
[*]Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls

I noticed after the 5.1 update was installed on my iPhone 4S that it now shows I am using their 4G network. I wonder if AT&T will start marketing them as a 4G device?

I think the sound is not half bad from the external speakers it has. Surprisingly so.

I got the new Apple TV software installed. More iOS-like, and it seems to be faster, but most important - it works. I love that the movie's I had digital copies of show up as purchased films. And the PQ on the 1080p HDTV (even though it is pushing out 720p) looks very good. I fired up LOTR: Fellowship Extended Edition, and The Dark Knight. Both looked great.

Also noticed purchased movies now show up in iTunes. That is very nice.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

have you noticed a TON better battery life? I streamed music all the way home (20 minute drive) from work and took a phone call and when I got home I was still at 100%, didnt plug in at all last night and woke up to 81% battery...to me that is incredible with the amount of emails and things I Have polling.

I noticed after the 5.1 update was installed on my iPhone 4S that it now shows I am using their 4G network. I wonder if AT&T will start marketing them as a 4G device?

That is an AT&T-only glitch. Pretty funny. VZW still shows 3G.

have you noticed a TON better battery life? I streamed music all the way home (20 minute drive) from work and took a phone call and when I got home I was still at 100%, didnt plug in at all last night and woke up to 81% battery...to me that is incredible with the amount of emails and things I Have polling.

Haven't had time to play with it much.

rockymtnhigh said:
That is an AT&T-only glitch. Pretty funny. VZW still shows 3G.

I am not sure it is a glitch as the iPhone 4S is on the HSPA+ network that AT&T is calling 4G on many of there devices.

I guess I get to pass on this one as well. My wife (who is 8 months pregnant) said we don't need another gadget in the house....

I guess I get to pass on this one as well. My wife (who is 8 months pregnant) said we don't need another gadget in the house....
Yeah my 7 month pregnant wife had a similar attitude until I told her she could have my iPad 2. Then she went from "You bought the new iPad without consulting with me first?!" to "Okay show me how to get the keyboard working with it (the iPad 2.)"

Now we need to find a way to unload her crappy Toshiba Thrive..

JAG72 said:
I am not sure it is a glitch as the iPhone 4S is on the HSPA+ network that AT&T is calling 4G on many of there devices.

I have it too after the 5.1 update. Speed Test app says I'm still 3G. LOL

Yeah I think they're just using the fauxG methodology. After all they have 4G and 4G LTE. My Skyrocket says 4G all the time even though it's just HSPA+. I've only seen it say LTE once and that was when I was using it as a navigation system and I was driving through NY..

AT&T and T-Mobile have been referring to HSPA+ as "4G" for awhile now. And the ITU seems to be ok with that. So, I guess, Apple has decided to accept that definition too, especially with all that pressure to come out with a 4G version of the iPhone. That should confuse consumers enough to buy Apple some time! ;)

I don't think AT&T was the first to use the watered down definition to cover a multitude of sins. Just had to react, for competitive reasons.

I got confirmation several hours after I ordered. Still on for a 3/15 delivery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts