The NEW iPhone 4S Discussion

Has anyone who preordered a 4S from AT&T on 10/7 gotten their phones sent yet?

Thought I was making sure I was in the first batch by preordering, but t now looks like it was a sucker bet.... Was trying to avoid the lines, but I guess there is no other way in the future unless you want to wait a month.....

Has anyone who preordered a 4S from AT&T on 10/7 gotten their phones sent yet?

Thought I was making sure I was in the first batch by preordering, but t now looks like it was a sucker bet.... Was trying to avoid the lines, but I guess there is no other way in the future unless you want to wait a month.....

Yes. Got it last Friday.

Did you order it from an AT&T store or another retailer (ie. Best Buy, Apple, etc.). Trying to figure out why ordering it the day preorders were available has me waiting 3-4 weeks to get it.

Did you guys know that Siri will still allow access even if your phone is locked/passcoded??

I was just reading about that. Apple does have an option to turn Siri off if you passcode your phone, but I think they should allow an option to turn off Siri if you have your phone locked too.

Neutron said:
Did you guys know that Siri will still allow access even if your phone is locked/passcoded??

I was just reading about that. Apple does have an option to turn Siri off if you passcode your phone, but I think they should allow an option to turn off Siri if you have your phone locked too.

What benefit would this be? Locked but not passcoded phones are unlockable with a swipe. Having Siri active in that instance does not pose a security risk as merely being locked does not secure the phone. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

What benefit would this be? Locked but not passcoded phones are unlockable with a swipe. Having Siri active in that instance does not pose a security risk as merely being locked does not secure the phone. Am I missing something?

Agreed. Not a big deal. Yeah, it can make an appointment for you or maybe send a text, but it can't launch other programs or hijack your iPhone.

Just not seeing the problem.

Agreed. Not a big deal. Yeah, it can make an appointment for you or maybe send a text, but it can't launch other programs or hijack your iPhone.

Just not seeing the problem.

Even if it's locked, with SIRI you can see contacts, make phone calls and send texts and emails. I turned off that feature.

AKGolf said:
I should have added that Siri allows that even if it's locked and requires a passcode.

Yes. You can turn that off. Neutron said he wished he had the option of doing that for when the phone is locked without a passcode. I'm saying that I don't see the point for that option since a lack of passcode protection means that a person has full access to the phone with a swipe of the unlock button. Making Siri's access no additional risk.

Yes. You can turn that off. Neutron said he wished he had the option of doing that for when the phone is locked without a passcode. I'm saying that I don't see the point for that option since a lack of passcode protection means that a person has full access to the phone with a swipe of the unlock button. Making Siri's access no additional risk.

I agree. If you don't passcode lock your phone that's actually a nice feature.

I agree. If you don't passcode lock your phone that's actually a nice feature.

I passlock my phone, but have it set for 30 minutes before the password kicks in. Yeah, if I lose the phone, I am at risk for up to 30 minutes, but after that there is at least a deterrent factor.

I found I can use the Voice Control of my iPhone 4 (not Siri) when I have my phone in my pocket and I'm driving in my Sync-equipped Milan. The music coming through my car's speakers fades out and I hear the "did-dit" prompt. At that point I can ask my phone (via the hands-free mic in the rear-view mirror) to play music or a playlist (which is usually all I need to do via Bluetooth).

I bet Siri is accessible in the same way, but when connected to cellular network, should be able to answer queries. Anyway, my point is that the screen is locked and I want it to respond to Voice Commands. If the iPhone is locked via a pass code I can see that Siri would be a way to gain access to your contacts without authenticating. However, since Siri can be deactivated in that mode, it isn't a big deal. Apple's fault was in picking a default setting that erred on helpfulness instead of security.

So, I shot some video last night of my kid rehearsing at the local "Rock School" (he is taking a course in rock performance). Anyways, I used the 4S to shoot video of a song they did (and which my kid wrote). The lighting in the room was pretty bad, and the acoustics - with the brick walls - weren't great - but I was really impressed with the video quality. I uploaded it to youtube (and so you can only see it in 720p and not 1080p), but for video coming from a phone, I have to say I was pretty impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read on USA Today (sorry using the app and couldn't copy) that people are having problems with battery life on the 4s. Some reporting 15% drop in an hour in standby mode. mine has had no problem at all. I did report that once I upgraded to iOS 5.0 that my 3Gs battery went down the drain.

I have read the same thing, but havent noticed it on mine at all. Battery life seems comparable to the 4 I had. Both have been great.

Some people are reporting better battery life after turning off time zone setting.

Settings->Locations Services->System Services->Setting Time Zone

If true I expect a software update will fix the problem.

Some people are reporting better battery life after turning off time zone setting.

Settings->Locations Services->System Services->Setting Time Zone

If true I expect a software update will fix the problem.

I turned it off yesterday. Was not really having problems, BUT right now my phone has been uncharged since 7am, and I am at 93%. I also have email on Fetch rather than Push.

Two weeks in, the phone is still "insanely great" :D -- it does everything I want, its buttery smooth ;) and it just works. It really works -- the apps are smooth, no kludgy response time, I find the keyboard easy to use (SHOCKING -- as I was afraid I would hate it - and I never liked it on the iPod touch much), and I don't miss the larger screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)