The next 2 universities being looked at for taking gifts/money: The U and Alabama!

Because you grew up not knowing the joy of pro football.

Im probably as close in distance to the Saints as many are to their in state team, and I still prefer the college game by a long shot.
Then I had the Falcons not much farther away.
Trust me, pro ball has as strong of a following here as anywhere, college is just much stronger. Maybe its because our college teams dont suck? Who knows? :D

Honestly, if you want to know the difference to me. Ive been to pro games, and ive been to college games.
Nearly every pro game ive been to, you go to the game, and there may be some tailgating going on, but the game is the event. You watch it, and you go home.

Any college game here is an all day, and sometimes the day before and after event. Tailgating is as big if not bigger than the game itself. In tuscaloosa, and the same is true on any SEC campus , there are more people outside the stadium watching around a grill and a bank of flat screens with HD sat service as there are in the stadium itself. You have the food vendors, the inflatable jumping houses, people selling anything you can imagine, the school buildings and shops are open to explore, and the Bryant Museum to get lost in for hours. Then there is the band.
When the game is over, yes some go home, but most hang around for the day if it was a daylight game and watch the late game on those same tvs while they grill burgers, ribs, chicken, you name it. Washing it all down with an ice cold beer.
Of course the party includes the fans of the team that you hopefully just beat. There is a little trash talk, but for the most part it is all in good fun, and when you leave (most likely to the hotel room that you booked in town, or to the RV that you have parked in the RV lot), you say goodbye to your new out of state friends, and hope to see them next year.

Its just a feeling with the tradition and pageantry that the pro game does not have IMO.

What I am waiting for is when the NCAA shows up in my beloved Dawg's town Athens. Any players named still in school will get the NCAA coming. Given Orson Charles in now at UGA, it might get interesting.

As for the situation, if what is being said is true, Miami needs the death penalty. Just like SMU they had major problems before and now its back. I feel bad for Salsa. OSU should get nailed as well. I don't care that the liar Tressel left, he was at the school when it happened. A co-worker, now good friend graduate from OSU, I told him yesterday they look clean compared to Miami.

Any one in big schools that don't think this is happening at your school is kidding yourself. I am sure things, maybe not be to the hooker and large cash exchange extent but it is likely happening at UGA along with all other big schools.

OK, I may have to take everything I said about Randy Shannon back and....

....direct it ALL to former athletic director Kirby Hocutt

The hate / hate relationship between former Miami Football Coach Randy Shannon and booster turned convicted Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro began in Shannon's first days as head coach at Miami.

Sources have told CaneSport that shortly after he was named to replace Larry Coker in 2007 that Shannon threatened his coaching staff with firings if they ever dealt with Shapiro and warned his players about Shapiro multiple times in team meetings during his four-year coaching tenure.

The warnings to players came when Shannon would have discussions about staying away from boosters and agents, talks that may have gone unheeded if any of the allegations being made to the NCAA and Federal Government by Shapiro prove to be true.

When asked by CaneSport to confirm the details provided by another source in attendance for Shannon's talks at the team meetings, a former Miami football staffer no longer employed by the school responded "Absolutely" when asked if he remembered Shannon specifically telling Miami players to stay away from Shapiro.

A source close to Shannon also told CaneSport that Shannon had "spies" around town who warned him that Shapiro was getting into problems throughout South Florida and was a booster that he needed to keep away from his players.

Shannon's rejection of Shapiro was a touchy issue for former athletic director Kirby Hocutt and individuals responsible for fund raising because Shannon refused to even talk to Shapiro, who for some time could be counted on to write big checks to the department.

Shapiro would constantly call anybody in the athletic department that would listen and launch into blistering, profanity-laced and racially-charged tirades at the perceived lack of respect he was being shown by the head coach.

Shannon declined comment on Shapiro or the active NCAA investigation, in which it is believed that he is not a principle figure.

CaneSport.com - Sources: Shannon warned team about Shapiro

meStevo said:
Guys on the local ESPN affiliate think he should leave Miami because of this and sit out a year and take over for Petrino when he retires.

ESPN is full of sh#@! Here they have, as you post, all their tools stating what Al Golden SHOULD DO before the investigation has been completed, then they televise "The U" 30 for 30.

So which one is it gonna be, hammer them with their "experts" or glorify them with THEIR documentary?!

I am slowly starting to take a very negative attitude on this.

ESPN is full of sh#@! Here they have, as you post, all their tools stating what Al Golden SHOULD DO before the investigation has been completed, then they televise "The U" 30 for 30.

So which one is it gonna be, hammer them with their "experts" or glorify them with THEIR documentary?!

I am slowly starting to take a very negative attitude on this.

The guys on my local affiliate make fun of the mothership all the time and think that Bristol is pretty bitter that 'some website' put 11 months of investigation into this and broke this story wide open and not them.

meStevo said:
The guys on my local affiliate make fun of the mothership all the time and think that Bristol is pretty bitter that 'some website' put 11 months of investigation into this and broke this story wide open and not them.

Bingo! You know, you and I have had our go arounds, but when your right... I gotta give the devil his due! ;-p

Some websites have been doing this stuff for a long time ....
Yahoo, TMZ ....

No doubt, Yahoo is the new investigative reporter sheriff.
If they show up on your campus steps, be very afraid.
Most bloggers run with rumors from message boards and can't be trusted.
Yahoo Sports is the real deal!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)