The next generation of D* receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Warren C

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Wantagh, NY
With all of the lack of news regarding the HMC and HD DVR I feel that this is what we have to look forward to from D*. These are ways that Rupert and Co. can help their bottom line.

The next gen boxes will not have a remote, you have to get up to change the channels.

Forget about all of the fancy hook-ups on the back, IE. component, VGA, HDMI. The picture quality has been steadily going downhill. They are going to go back to just an RF connection.

These are just a few of the enhancements we have to look forward to. I was really looking forward to some big announcements from CES. I really shouldn't be surprised that nothing new is coming, just smoke and mirrors.

At least there is no exciting news from the Dish camp either. Maybe the two camps are in collusion

warren,

im not understanding. the HMC would be an upgrade and how many subs would want them? same as the RF remote. im just saying they are important , to a FEW subs. they are busy feeding the masses. surely you dont think ALL the subs are going to get the HMC?? 90% will get the basic IRDs.

Dragon,

I was being sarcastic. The way D* has been going recently, they are working backwards. The rf connection on the back that I was referring to is the connection that hooks up to the TV with a coax cable instead of component, HDMI, VGA, etc.. My remark about the remote meant that they won't include one, and you have to go to the box to change channels.

They had a great product w/Tivo and blew that for an inferior product in the R-15.

I feel the same way Warren, it's dissapointing about the major lack of HD news in D*s camp. However I think E* offered a lot, they are rolling out new mpeg 4 boxes and they are saying the already have a mpeg 4 HD DVR to go along with it + the new mpeg 4 HD national & voom channels + HD LIL to what the top 50 markets or so. That seems pretty good to me and we were the ones (D* subscribers) that launched 2 new state of the art satellites this year and still have nothing to show for them and apparently D* has no plans for them except HD LIL to most of the markets that probably already get the national HD feeds out of NY or LA.

i really hope you dont think that directv will be offering the voom package in this lifetime??

i really think and hope with news corp owning 20th century fox studios that they would offer their own programming, along with all MAJOR fox sports in HD real soon.

I for one am not worried about, not do I buy into, all the press release horn blowing done at CES on in the media. Sure some of the things look pretty and create chatter. I want to see GOOD hardware on the retail shelf and GOOD channels on the menu. NAND right now, no one has done anything; at least DirecTV has spent many millions putting birds up. Goods things will come.

charper1 said:
I for one am not worried about, not do I buy into, all the press release horn blowing done at CES on in the media. Sure some of the things look pretty and create chatter. I want to see GOOD hardware on the retail shelf and GOOD channels on the menu. NAND right now, no one has done anything; at least DirecTV has spent many millions putting birds up. Goods things will come.

charper,

we dont see eye to eye a lot , but, k. rupert didnt spend all that cash getting those birds up there for nothing! now i hear that spaceway 3 and 4 are going to start a bidding war between hughes network systems and directv. yes boeing is almost done building them.....if directv has no plans, why do they want them??

give him a year and murdock will have dish in a full court press, charlie will sell and then redstone and murdock will battle until the death:eek: the end of the world is near:rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)