The Red Wing 08 - 09 Season Officially Begins

Looks like the break helped. we won the "old-fashioned" way! DEFENSE and HOSSA. They better start thinking about a long-term deal for him. He fits in beautifully with the Wings, underrated defensive player, too.

Looks like the break helped. we won the "old-fashioned" way! DEFENSE and HOSSA. They better start thinking about a long-term deal for him. He fits in beautifully with the Wings, underrated defensive player, too.

Holland started working on an extension for Hossa as soon as the rest of the Wings were signed for the current year.
That was the plan all along, sign who you had to, to start the season and then rework a contract for Hossa, I see no reason to expect him to not be here for awhile.

Jimbo

Money could be the reason. We can't afford what other teams will be offering, and like you said, we've got other players who have expiring contracts. I don't see a $10M per contract forth-coming for Mr. Hossa, which is what other teams surely will be offering.

Money could be the reason. We can't afford what other teams will be offering, and like you said, we've got other players who have expiring contracts. I don't see a $10M per contract forth-coming for Mr. Hossa, which is what other teams surely will be offering.

Well, he came here to win a cup and he already took less than he could have got ...
I think he'll sign a reasonable contract to stay here, soon.

Lindstrom has the highest contract I think, maybe Z, but I think they are only about 8 M.

Jimbo

Lindstrom, by a mile.

I think Lindstrom is only at 8 this year.
It's a great advantage for the Wings to be able to have a star like Lindstrom make only 8 and the others know that , that sets the standard, all others will be under that.
They know it coming in so if they want to play here they will take less than what they can get else where.
Wonder how long that will continue to work ?

How many games (Wings) do you get to in a typical year ?

Jimbo

Well, he came here to win a cup and he already took less than he could have got ...
I think he'll sign a reasonable contract to stay here, soon.

Lindstrom has the highest contract I think, maybe Z, but I think they are only about 8 M.

Jimbo

I was watching HNIC's Hot Stove last night and one of the guys on it said that the Wings was talking to Z and were looking at least 10 years.
I don't think he said for how much. He also said the talks were in a very active state.
With the cap I don't see how the Wings sign both Z and Hosa there are going be some changes in Wings land next year.

I think Lindstrom is only at 8 this year.
It's a great advantage for the Wings to be able to have a star like Lindstrom make only 8 and the others know that , that sets the standard, all others will be under that.
They know it coming in so if they want to play here they will take less than what they can get else where.
Wonder how long that will continue to work ?

How many games (Wings) do you get to in a typical year ?

Jimbo

Maybe a dozen. They're usually free-be's. I can't afford to go if I'm paying.

ore on Z

From the hockey Buzz.

Latest on Zetterberg talks
Contract talks may be heating up between Henrik Zetterberg and the Red Wings. Both camps have made counteroffers and we're talking long-term deal, anywhere from seven to 10 years in length. Agent Marc Levine and GM Ken Holland met two weeks ago and then spoke again this past Wednesday. They plan to pick up the conversation again this week.

Zetterberg could easily get $9 million to $10 million a year on the open market after July 1, but he won't get that in Detroit. He's got to take less to stay in Detroit. The choice is, do you want win championships with the Wings or make lot of dough elsewhere?

I think the sweet spot is anywhere from $7 million to $8 million a season.

From the hockey Buzz.

Latest on Zetterberg talks
Contract talks may be heating up between Henrik Zetterberg and the Red Wings. Both camps have made counteroffers and we're talking long-term deal, anywhere from seven to 10 years in length. Agent Marc Levine and GM Ken Holland met two weeks ago and then spoke again this past Wednesday. They plan to pick up the conversation again this week.

Zetterberg could easily get $9 million to $10 million a year on the open market after July 1, but he won't get that in Detroit. He's got to take less to stay in Detroit. The choice is, do you want win championships with the Wings or make lot of dough elsewhere?

I think the sweet spot is anywhere from $7 million to $8 million a season.

It would not surprise me to see Z go over what Lindstrom makes, thus setting a new bar .... Then Lindstrom would get a boost at his next contract extension.

Jimbo

If Satan's Dead Things were in the Pacific instead of the weakest division in hockey (Blue Jackets are in 2nd place!) it's be a different story. What was the score when the dead wings played the Sharks? Oh yeah, 4-2 Sharks!

It would not surprise me to see Z go over what Lindstrom makes, thus setting a new bar .... Then Lindstrom would get a boost at his next contract extension.

Jimbo

You cna count on Zetty becoming the highest paid Wing. As for Lindstrom, his next contract will probably remain around where it is now. Isn't he 38? I don't think he plans on sticking around as long as Chelios has. He has spoke often about how he wants to take his family back to Sweden.

You cna count on Zetty becoming the highest paid Wing. As for Lindstrom, his next contract will probably remain around where it is now. Isn't he 38? I don't think he plans on sticking around as long as Chelios has. He has spoke often about how he wants to take his family back to Sweden.

He's talked about wanting to go back home for 10 years now, the money keeps him here and his family likes it here, particularly the kids.

According to NCAA college basketball prices, there is no recession!

CBS Could lose the NCAA Tournament after 2010

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)