TheList

Status
Please reply by conversation.

qwert1515

SatelliteGuys TheList
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
Los Angeles CA
Please let us know what you think about TheList, please also understand that we will have more channel information soon.

All suggestions are welcome.

The main goal of TheList is to make satellite information available in a easy to access way for all users.

The database that TheList uses was created by SatelliteGuys users scans.

Please follow the site rules and please do not talk about feeds or "HACK TALK" as Iceberg puts it ;).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Nice addition...

Who can add to the list?

Are there any rules about what is being added and not added? I know we've always gone by the if it's not on Lyngsat then we don't talk about it in public here. I'm curious to know if these rules still apply.

Nice addition...

Who can add to the list?

Are there any rules about what is being added and not added? I know we've always gone by the if it's not on Lyngsat then we don't talk about it in public here. I'm curious to know if these rules still apply.

Thanks.

The rules are basically the same as before, we can list channels that are always available, not the feeds.

If you find a feed on TheList that you do not think should be there please PM me.

The administration page will be ready soon and "selected" users will be able help keep the list up-to-date.

Excellant site!!!
I have a suggestion: At the bottom of the TheList sites, explain what PCR, audio PID, and video PID mean. I pretty much understand the PIDs but, I don't understand what PCR mean.
This suggestion would help the newbies when using TheList to program their FTA receivers.
Keep up the great work!!!

Thank you MrFTAMan,

I have edited TheList to show "(Video Pid - Video Packet ID) (Audio Pids - Audio Packet ID's) (PCR - Program Clock Reference)" at the bottom of each page.

I don't think this is the best way to give the information out since for example someone might not look all the way to the bottom of the page of 97 Degrees west, so we might have to move it to the top and organize it some how.

Thank you very much.

Nice list. I presume in the background mysql or other db is providing the info. What would be absolutely perfect is a downloadable .mdb version or a gzipped .sql file containing SQL instructions to recreate a local db in MySQL, or even a straight comma or tab separated list of the entries that would be suitable for import into Channel Master or other list that can be uploaded to a receiver.

Cool list... and cool idea. Hopefully you'll have someone assigned to keep it updated if tp info changes down the road. It's always frustrating to find some channel has changed their pids or something and you lose signal for a while and lyngsat is out of date.

Also, you might optionally want to direct folks to the station's website like lyngsat does... or, more importantly, direct folks to titan tv's listings. I don't know if you can hard code in links to titan tv listings for certain stations or not since you almost have to log in, but it might be doable? Would be cool to go to "the list" and click on a station name and automatically be dumped in to the lineup for that night on titan tv... but like I said, I'm not sure if that would be doable or not since they have the log in thingy... I don't know if that level of info is available without logging in over there.

I like mastermesh's ideas. TitanTV does allow you to link to a specific channel (if you know it's Id) without logging in (I just followed a link from Iceberg [I believe] yesterday).

I would love the ability to dump (even better! how about an xml request so that I could nightly schedule it?) all of the data into a format that could easily be processed into a format that could be used to build a channelmaster list directly. It'd be a dream come true if channelmaster could be automated as well, so that I could run a nightly program to dump this data, reformat it, and upload the list onto my receiver.

visually

The choice of bold-black and not-bold-red do well to differentiate the standard channels from the encrypted ones.
Would you consider a different color or brightness for the radio channels?
I was thinking regular-blue (or possibly regular-black), but that's just a first idea.

Edit: okay, 2nd idea here -
Bold black for TV, non-bold black for radio; bold red for encrypted TV, non-bold red for encrypted radio?
Again, just thinking out loud, here.

This probably depends on the user's CRT or LCD, but I don't find the bold-green Strong-Transponder label to be very eye-catching.
Not really a big deal.
It's there if ya look for it. :cool:

Oh, and if I need to spell it out for ya: G O O D . W O R K . ! :)

Thanks Iceberg for stickying the thread.

How would everyone like to be notified of updates?

I was thinking about placing a link on the front page to show the most recent updates, any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

More suggestions for TheList

TheList is really a great feature for all of us FTA hobbist! :)
I notice that on both Ku and C band listings each give a idea of what dish size is required to get those channels.
How about going a little further: Giving a viewer a ideal of what kind of LNBF is needed since there's C band, Ku, and Universal types to consider. That, I think, would give everyone knowledge of the LNBFs to use.
I notice that sometimes when a person posts something about certain satellites, someone would mention using a universal LNBF, or standard Ku LNBFs on other satellites, and of course C band LNBF to get the C band frequencies. I think this ideal would help clear up confusions on this issue.

Yes, excellent list. Thanks! Better than Lyngsat which perennially titillates us with the HD Demo channel on 61.5 when in fact it's not FTA. Your list doesn't include it at all. Which raises the following issue.
The rules are basically the same as before, we can list channels that are always available, not the feeds.
I am curious about the use of the term FTA on the satellite list page... You have included plenty of encrypted channels (from other providers than Dish), and even have an "encryption" column on all of these tables. Why not ditch the "FTA" acronym and just include all channels to be done with it? Or (much easier) why include any encryption column or encrypted channels from other providers?

okay, 2nd idea here -
Bold black for TV, non-bold black for radio; bold red for encrypted TV, non-bold red for encrypted radio?
An even better idea is to have a radio icon for the radio channels (rather than a TV icon for all channels). ;)

An even better idea is to have a radio icon for the radio channels (rather than a TV icon for all channels). ;)
Yea, this is sounding even better!
Black Radio icon for regular FTA, red Radio icon for encrypted (if you must list 'em).
Black TV for regular FTA, red TV for encrypted.
Green lightening bolt or tower symbol for Strong Transponder.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and thank you all for letting me know that the radio icon was not showing up, before the release of TheList I converted it to PHP and I forgot to change that.

(The radio icon shows up now)

The main reason the encrypted channels are listed is to help identify satellites. You can use the search to find satellites based on the channel information or any other information.

Yes, excellent list. Thanks! Better than Lyngsat which perennially titillates us with the HD Demo channel on 61.5 when in fact it's not FTA. Your list doesn't include it at all.

The reason it does not show up, is because it is encrypted on a Dish network bird, we are not listing encrypted channels on Dish network or Bell Vu Express birds.

Thank again.

Last edited:
If you would be able to send me a Channel Master list with it or other 8PSK channels that can be added to TheList I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)