TheList

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The HD demo channel on 61.5 is not encrypted. It's pure FTA MPEG2 HD video.

8PSK which 99% of the boxes canot get. I think unless its QPSK we shouldn't list it

what's next...listing 4DTV channels too?? (I'm thinking NO...the list is for MPEG2 QPSK signals)

If you would be able to send me a Channel Master list with it or other 8PSK channels that can be added to TheList I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

I dont think that is a good idea for the reason I listed above. 99% of the boxes cannot pick up 8PSK...only QPSK

I thought the list was to be friendly for newbies. If we start posting other formats it will only confuse them :)

I dont think that is a good idea for the reason I listed above. 99% of the boxes cannot pick up 8PSK...only QPSK

I thought the list was to be friendly for newbies. If we start posting other formats it will only confuse them :)

I agree.... if you've got an 8PSK device you probably not going to consult this list for feeds.

Keep it simple and to the point for the standard STB folks.

Hey, I can't think of a better group of people to put together "The List". I'll be using it and comparing it to what I now have in my channel list. Thanks

What is 8PSK?

I am relatively new, so maybe my questions will affect how you approach the list.

The Coolsat 8000 has an entry titled "Modulation" for manual scans and one modulation is 8SPK. I also see there are channels listed in Lyngat as in 8SPK.

So,what is 8SPK? Are 8SPK channels FTA or encrypted? If the channels are FTA, can the Coolsat 8000 get them by itself (or what is needed as a supplement to the receiver to get them)?

If the last two answers are "FTA" and "YES," respectively, then maybe the charts should list these scannels with a link explaining what 8SPK.

If it is a form of encryption, then leave them out.

And,if additional equipment is needed,t hen an explanation of that equipment would help.

I am relatively new, so maybe my questions will affect how you approach the list.

The Coolsat 8000 has an entry titled "Modulation" for manual scans and one modulation is 8SPK. I also see there are channels listed in Lyngat as in 8SPK.

So,what is 8SPK? Are 8SPK channels FTA or encrypted? If the channels are FTA, can the Coolsat 8000 get them by itself (or what is needed as a supplement to the receiver to get them)?

If the last two answers are "FTA" and "YES," respectively, then maybe the charts should list these scannels with a link explaining what 8SPK.

If it is a form of encryption, then leave them out.

And,if additional equipment is needed,t hen an explanation of that equipment would help.

I believe that is for DVB-S2 8PSK. Not turbo coded 8PSK.

8PSK signals can be both encrypted and not encrypted. 8PSK is a signal modulation scheme, it has nothing to do with compression scheme or encryption schemes.

any way to have a master list so people can see all channels on all KU satellites? I know it sounds like a lot but when I am working on my dish I print out a list that I have from Global-cm and it lists all the channels by satellite. Just a thought :)

I will look into that after a few other things need to be done.

As of right now if I list everything Ku and C band and look at the print preview it is around 76 pages, I will see if I can come up with a plain text mode.

Huh?

"I believe that is for DVB-S2 8PSK. Not turbo coded 8PSK. "

I do not know what that means. Should I try to scan in 8SPK channels with my Coolsat 8000? Will it work?

Digiblur: Your LSU Tigers look really strong this year.

The 8000 won't scan in a 8PSK transponder on this side of the pond. Tried that with the demo HD channel on 61.5
In Europe they use 8PSK but in a format that the 8000 can decode.

I will look into that after a few other things need to be done.

As of right now if I list everything Ku and C band and look at the print preview it is around 76 pages, I will see if I can come up with a plain text mode.

that would be awesome :)
or even a C-Band and KU list separate

could we mark "circular" ?

TheList is really a great feature for all of us FTA hobbist! :)
I notice that on both Ku and C band listings each give a idea of what dish size is required to get those channels.
How about going a little further: Giving a viewer a ideal of what kind of LNBF is needed since there's C band, Ku, and Universal types to consider. That, I think, would give everyone knowledge of the LNBFs to use.
I was looking at The List and about to post that Circular/Linear might be a good label to put on some of the entries.
Or maybe just circular, as the opposite is assumed.
Obviously, I support MrFTAman's suggestions, as well.

Later on, maybe some indication for either hard-to-get stations, or super-easy-to-get stations might be encouraging.
Say, something like:
- 20" dish might work
- 30" dish
- 48" dish recommended

I suppose the same could be done for the C-band section, noting which can be received on 4' dishes, 6' dishes, run-of-the-mill 8' dishes, and which require massive dishes.

I was looking at The List and about to post that Circular/Linear might be a good label to put on some of the entries.
Or maybe just circular, as the opposite is assumed.
Obviously, I support MrFTAman's suggestions, as well.

Later on, maybe some indication for either hard-to-get stations, or super-easy-to-get stations might be encouraging.
Say, something like:
- 20" dish might work
- 30" dish
- 48" dish recommended

I suppose the same could be done for the C-band section, noting which can be received on 4' dishes, 6' dishes, run-of-the.. -mill 8' dishes, and which require massive dishes.
Good idea as some signals require progressively bigger dishes.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will fix the circular polarization a little bit later today.

For the dish size we will figure out what the best way to give that information.

Thanks.

I changed the way TheList displays circular polarizations to: (R/V) or (L/H).

If anyone can think of a better way to display it, please let me know, some examples could be:

1. (R/V) or (L/H)
2. (R|V) or (L|H)
3. (R) or (L)
4. R or L

Also what receivers require R/L vs. V/H? I guess it makes it easier for people to know it requires a different LNB.

I will work on something for that too.

I am sorry for the lack of information on the DISH Network and Bell ExpressVu satellites the reason we have decided not to display information is to keep hackers away from here, information for those will soon be available in another format for subscribers.

attaboy !

I changed the way TheList displays circular polarizations to: (R/V) or (L/H).
. . .
I am sorry for the lack of information on the DISH Network and Bell ExpressVu satellites the reason we have decided not to display information is to keep hackers away from here, information for those will soon be available in another format for subscribers.
. . .
For the dish size we will figure out what the best way to give that information.
I think that way to display circular is probably the best ya have listed.
Then for regular, maybe just V & H. (?)
Not sure it's worth fighting over, though. :)

Apparently the changes haven't taken affect, so I'll check back later.
Whatever you come up with will be dandy.

I believe you have the right balance of info on the Dish and BEV birds right now.
If you really wanted to expand, I'd limit it to just a list of transponders, but not detail what's on them if they're encrypted.
There is already a detailed list published for Dish, but I haven't seen quite the same for BEV.
The comment about keeping it separate does sound like a good way to go.

As for dish size (and I would hardly put that at the top of my to-do list), I have a novel idea. :cool:
How 'bout three different Icon sizes? (and/or styles)

Keep up the good work! - :up

Apparently the changes haven't taken affect, so I'll check back later.

I changed it this morning right after my post, it is working here, I see under the 110.0°W EchoStar 8.6 Ku satellite - 12240 (L/H) 20000.

There is already a detailed list published for Dish, but I haven't seen quite the same for BEV.

We will have information for Dish, BEV, and DirecTV.

could you make it any more obvious?

I still had the FireFox tab open since this morning , so I looked at The List again without refreshing it.
I see now your H/V/L/R info! - :rolleyes:
...something about the forest and the trees, maybe? :eek:
I'd totally missed it... but I totally like it!

Oh, and if you're gonna do DirecTV, maybe you can find the Ka band stuff.
Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts