thinking about fta being a new hobby, need advice .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gameplaya376

Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
i was thinking about getting into this mostly for the local channels in my area and what ever else i can get but new at this and am confused on what system to buy . here are 2 that i am considering because they are not too much $ and come with the dish , but im not sure if they are even worth it or which 1 is better . any advise on what 1 i should by (or whether i should get a different 1 than those 2) would be great . btw , im in the u.s. PA .]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5703658972&category=32847&sspagename=rvi:1:1

or

http://www.gateco-electronics.com/p...s_id=517&sid=e269f394bee513ff2425fa1ab35e8c1e

thanks ...

Fta

I've got the exact same setup as the first eBay auction, although I pieced it together from different sources. I paid about the same price though.

The 786v3 is okay, but you can't add satellites to it without a computer, and I can't get it to interface with mine, which sucks. For the price, it's a pretty good system.

You mentioned getting locals in your area...unless you live in an area that happens to be on one of the FTA satellites, you won't be able to get your local channels.

Locals are locals, same shows but of course the news will be from somewhere else, thats the deal with FTA, you take what you get. Look for a system with a blind search function and let it do the work for you, also make sure it has DiSEqC 1.2, as you MAY want to add a motor to it at some time to catch even more satellites.

ok , i am even concidering a pansat 2500a , but what can i expect to get with a pansat 2500a (or like reciever) and a 30in dish on a rotor ? i have been reading but im a bit confused with all the different bands and satalites . i am near pittsburgh , pa if that helps .

With a Ku band FTA system you can pick up all sorts of channels (see the FTA list on my website) you don't get C-band with a 30" dish. If you added a dbs LNB to the dish (uses a small bracket to be able to get two LNB on one dish) you can also pick up any DBS FTA channels that are in the clear say on Dishnetwork, these are clear channels so they are 110% legal, loads of channels, news and sports feeds, local channels, (not from your area) international channels,music, educational, religious........its a great project and a lot of fun setting one up.

digitalelegance said:
I've got the exact same setup as the first eBay auction, although I pieced it together from different sources. I paid about the same price though.

The 786v3 is okay, but you can't add satellites to it without a computer, and I can't get it to interface with mine, which sucks. For the price, it's a pretty good system.

You mentioned getting locals in your area...unless you live in an area that happens to be on one of the FTA satellites, you won't be able to get your local channels.

Seem to remember that some receivers use a serial null modem cable , instead of a straight serial cable ?

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)