Thinking about getting D and dropping cable ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gaw

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
I'm thinking about dropping cable. I have no experience at all with satellite tv. We have 3 tvs. Our main living room tv is a HDTV. The 2 other ones are not and are in bedrooms. My question is...with cable I only needed a dvr hd box for the hd signals on the HDTV. The other tvs just run off of the analog cable signals with no need for a box. If someone wanted to watch something on a "higher" channel, they would just watch on the hdtv. Can you do this with D, or do they HAVE to have a box? From what I'm researching, that would save me 12.00 per month on boxes. Thanks.

With DIRECTV, each independent viewing requires a box. DISH Network makes boxes that serve two TVs but not three.

since all channels on directv are digital you need a receiver to each TV that you want to watch different programming

With DIRECTV, each independent viewing requires a box. DISH Network makes boxes that serve two TVs but not three.

Dish VIP series can support two tvs however only the main set gets HD.

But first of all they charge per TUNER, not per box, so you'll still be paying more for equipment. Second, the way they do the dual view on the DVR sucks - if a timer goes off while you're watching something else, you're stuck either having to watch the recording or you have to cancel it. You can't 'send' it to the other tuner. It looks nice on paper but it is godawful in practice unless you live alone. I loathed it the whole two weeks I had Dish.

x9.99 [base package]
10.00 [DVR service+MultiRoom viewing]
12.00 [+2 boxes]

With this setup, You can get your HDDVR, HD, and a SD box. The HD box can watch whatever has been recorded on the HDDVR.

If you only get SD boxes though, you'll need to upgrade your receivers if you ever upgrade your TVs, not only having to pay more for the new boxes but also extending your contract for another 2 years from that point. You might be better off getting all HD equipment now, as a new customer.

But first of all they charge per TUNER, not per box, so you'll still be paying more for equipment. Second, the way they do the dual view on the DVR sucks - if a timer goes off while you're watching something else, you're stuck either having to watch the recording or you have to cancel it. You can't 'send' it to the other tuner. It looks nice on paper but it is godawful in practice unless you live alone. I loathed it the whole two weeks I had Dish.
You have the option with Dish if you need 3 rooms of HD DVRs you can get 3 Vip 612's

You can also have a 722 and 2 vip 612 if you want and its cost the same price per month $20.
And they function exactly the same as every other Dual tuner HD DVR!

And they do not charge per tuner, the fee's are for the boxes.

The most expensive receiver on your account is free.
If you have 2 Vip 722 the 2nd one cost $17 per month
If you have 2 Vip 612, the 2nd once cost $10 per month Both the 722 and and 612 have 2 tuners each.
Only diference is the 722 will do another room SD if you want.

I had a 722, 622, and a 612 and the 722 never saw dual mode once in my house.
And it also best anthing D* had called an HD DVR.:p

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.