thinking of switching to direct from dish...few questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

davec53

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
well, i have dish now, and i have a dvr 522 box. however, i recently purchased a new hdtv, and so i'm ready to see what it can do.

i was going to upgrade to the new dish 622 dvr, but was told that i would have to purchase the receiver, as i did not qualify for the lease (past year was kind of rough on the finances, so i had a few late payments, and even a couple of temporary disconnects...my fault, i admit).

well, i don't want to shell out $800 for the ability to get like 25 high def channels, which would not even include the big 4 (nbc,cbs,abc,fox), which makes up a majority of the tv i watch. i live in an area where there is NO WAY i'm getting any signal OTA, but from what i've read, dish still isn't willing to grant those customers like myself the ability to get distant hd feeds.

directv, however, will allow me to get the distant feeds, AND, i can get installed and up and running for free on Direct, if i don't want the Tivo, which i kind of do.

here are the questions...

1. will directv allow you to have BOTH the HD distant feeds AND still provide you with your locals in SD, or do you have to choose? (meaning, would they let me have NY HD feeds, as well as Lexington, KY feeds in SD). i can't seem to find anything to answer that.

2. the HD tivo looks nice, except for not being able to output to a second tv (have gotten hooked on that feature of the 522!). i am seeing mentions of DTV's upgraded receivers that are coming down the line, but does anyone have any specifics about whether they might include 2-tv outputs, or when they might start to show up?

3. programming. the best i can tell, the only differences between dish and direct's offerings right now are the Voom channels on Dish, as well as the HD-TNT. what are direct tv's plans for adding more HD channels? from reading on here, it seems that they are going to be adding content, but many of you don't seem satisfied with what's being planned, so i was wondering if you could bring me up to speed.

Thanks so much, and i look forward to hearing from you!

davec53 said:
here are the questions...

1. will directv allow you to have BOTH the HD distant feeds AND still provide you with your locals in SD, or do you have to choose? (meaning, would they let me have NY HD feeds, as well as Lexington, KY feeds in SD). i can't seem to find anything to answer that.

2. the HD tivo looks nice, except for not being able to output to a second tv (have gotten hooked on that feature of the 522!). i am seeing mentions of DTV's upgraded receivers that are coming down the line, but does anyone have any specifics about whether they might include 2-tv outputs, or when they might start to show up?

3. programming. the best i can tell, the only differences between dish and direct's offerings right now are the Voom channels on Dish, as well as the HD-TNT. what are direct tv's plans for adding more HD channels? from reading on here, it seems that they are going to be adding content, but many of you don't seem satisfied with what's being planned, so i was wondering if you could bring me up to speed.

Thanks so much, and i look forward to hearing from you!

This info is good through the end of Feb as I have no idea what the new lease program is all about starting March 1 but have a feeling it just means it will cost more to own.

1. I'm no expert on waivers but do you meet directvs requirements on their website for waivers? http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressForm.aspx

I'm sure if you qualify on the web site, you can get NY HD in while keeping your locals. If it says no, then you can still try but nothing guaranteed of course. I hear they are getting really strict with waivers.
Also make sure you check the note on this page http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/see/LocalChannels_markets.jsp as I'm not sure but think you'd need the triple lnb for your locals. Check into that to be sure you know what you are doing.

2. I doubt directv will do dual independent outputs anytime soon (i had no idea dish did this..wild). If it's not on the new H20, doubt it would be on the more sophisticated upcoming DVR...but that's just guessing until this comes out of course

3 with no OTA and without waivers, the HDtivo is a waste of money for you unless you like their 11 dollar package or SHO/HBO (or I think they have 1 ppv HD also). I"m betting that all new HD channels (whenever that will be) will be mpeg4 and thus the HDtivo would not receive them. I love the HDtivo because I DO get OTA but without it, it would just be additional storage for me and resolving triple conflicts.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts