This is sad

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm going over to an x c-band installer's this weekend to get the 7 footer he gave me. As this will be a spare, HDFAN's post has my wheels turning....
I've even got the 91xg.......
Now maybe I'll get Syracuse !!!!
Heh Heh .....

While I don't doubt that the setup in the OP's pictures probably work, it really seems to me that the antenna would probably work better if it didn't have the big reflector, and it doesn't need the yagi like directors. All it really needs is the driven element. The multiple elements in the TV antenna inside the dish aren't really doing anything. They are looking only at signal that is blocked by the reflector. The signal that's reflected by the dish will be focused at the driven element, and the directors won't see it. Also the reflector is blocking signal that could be going to the driven element.
Anyway, it looks neat, but the big uhf antenna seems to detrimental if you're using the big dish to reflect the signal.

While I don't doubt that the setup in the OP's pictures probably work, it really seems to me that the antenna would probably work better if it didn't have the big reflector, and it doesn't need the yagi like directors. All it really needs is the driven element. The multiple elements in the TV antenna inside the dish aren't really doing anything. They are looking only at signal that is blocked by the reflector. The signal that's reflected by the dish will be focused at the driven element, and the directors won't see it. Also the reflector is blocking signal that could be going to the driven element.
Anyway, it looks neat, but the big uhf antenna seems to detrimental if you're using the big dish to reflect the signal.

All that's needed is a bowtie (driven) and a small back reflector screen behind it. Some people don't understand antenna theory.

Ok,
I couldn't resist.
I drug up an old not so true Kaultronics perforated dish I had lying down in the back yard staged with other stuff for fall cleanup.
I found a piece of square aluminum tubing from an old tv antenna, and made a modified 91 xg. This consisted the reflector and DE. I then measured the focal point of the dish and cut the boom of the new Wylie Coyote antenna to put the DE at the focal point. I stood it up and pointed it toward Syracuse and did a scan. I'M HERE TO TELL YOU IT WORKED !!!! Yes I'm am shouting..... It all boils down to capture area!
I scanned in another channel at 60% and the 2 that I received on the Grey Hoverman wnet from 50 to 90%. More when I get the straight dish from the installer.
I'm off to the camp site.
TTYL
Joe

I'm sure surface area has allot to do with gain just like with c band. The old 7 foot parabolic UHF antennas kicked butt. A 20 foot would probably do serious damage. The problem is to get something that big high in the air and secured is the problem.

The problem is to get something that big high in the air and secured is the problem.
Can you imagine, a 10 foot C-band dish at the top of a 60ft tower....:eek:
I'd be afraid to stand anywhere within 50 feet of that thing!
And if an electrical storm heads your way, ya' better disconnect the coax, and throw it OUT the window...as far away from the house as possible!!! :eek:

Can you imagine, a 10 foot C-band dish at the top of a 60ft tower....:eek:
It would be wicked if that thing toppled. :eek: If the tower was massive it would hold it though. :)

I'd be afraid to stand anywhere within 50 feet of that thing!
And if an electrical storm heads your way, ya' better disconnect the coax, and throw it OUT the window...as far away from the house as possible!!! :eek:

May as well dig a hole and bury the coax :D

I found a piece of square aluminum tubing from an old tv antenna, and made a modified 91 xg. This consisted the reflector and DE. I then measured the focal point of the dish and cut the boom of the new Wylie Coyote antenna to put the DE at the focal point. I stood it up and pointed it toward Syracuse and did a scan.

:confused: Please explain the "modified 91 xg" and the "DE" for us sleepy people or post a picture!!! I am curious on how far are you from Syracuse and how high did you mount the thing??? :confused:

up by our cabin I see a bunch of them on bars & hotels. At the time the only TV stations around there were low powered translator stations you see 2 or 3 of them set up (since the translator stations were in different directions)

next time I'm up there I'll take a couple pics

and forgot to take my camera with :(
saw one of the antennas on a hotel.....aimed towards where the translator stations were (they have since been turned off a couple years ago)
wonder if they need that antenna??? ;)

and forgot to take my camera with :(
saw one of the antennas on a hotel.....aimed towards where the translator stations were (they have since been turned off a couple years ago)
wonder if they need that antenna??? ;)

Hey Ice, if they don't need it and are willing to give it up grab it. DXing OTA is allot of fun too. With digital and HD OTA now it's even more fun. :D

DishmanDan,
Basically, I removed the oven rack type reflectors and the driven element (where the coax attaches) from the antenna boom. I then measured the distance from the reflector to the driven element and mounted them on a new piece of tubing.
I am in Norwich, about 65 miles from Syracuse as the CGS Hawk flies.
The system is ground mounted because in my location that is the only place on my property these transmissions are receivable. If I place the Grey-Hoverman on the roof I actually lose them.

saw a couple today when out traveling

Went to MN Vikings training camp in Mankato (about 75 miles SW of Minneapolis) and saw one on an apartment complex

It was aimed SW which meant it was aimed at a translator station setup for the rest of the Minneapolis stations

got some pics. Couple folks looked at me weird as I was taking pictures :)
The dish in the 2nd pic I **Think** was for DirecTV...looked like a 30" dish

Attachments

• 100_0327.jpg
    100_0327.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_0328.jpg
    100_0328.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_0329.jpg
    100_0329.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 142
Hey Ice !
How are ya??
Nice pics. I see it has twin "bow ties"
I am picking the 7 footer tomorrow, so i have to re-think the 91 xg.
Later....

thanks. Basically I pulled into the parking lot, leaned out the window of the truck and took the pics :)

in and out in 30 seconds :D

There was another building that had one on it too. What was interesting is that other complex has only been up for a year or so....so they somehow were able to get one of those antennas.

By the way...the Mankato market only has one TV station, KEYC 12 CBS, so that is why they have to resort to using these antennas to aim at a translator cluster about 30 miles away. The translator cluster is owned by a electrical co-op and they pipe in all the Minneapolis stations. KEYC added Fox to a subchannel a couple years ago so now non-cable/satellite folks have 2 networks now :)

Aiming a OTA BUD

Ok,
I couldn't resist.
I drug up an old not so true Kaultronics perforated dish I had lying down in the back yard staged with other stuff for fall cleanup.
I found a piece of square aluminum tubing from an old tv antenna, and made a modified 91 xg. This consisted the reflector and DE. I then measured the focal point of the dish and cut the boom of the new Wylie Coyote antenna to put the DE at the focal point. I stood it up and pointed it toward Syracuse and did a scan. I'M HERE TO TELL YOU IT WORKED !!!! Yes I'm am shouting..... It all boils down to capture area!
I scanned in another channel at 60% and the 2 that I received on the Grey Hoverman wnet from 50 to 90%. More when I get the straight dish from the installer.
I'm off to the camp site.
TTYL
Joe

Would this thing have to mounted so that it is pointing horizontally? :confused:

Does the height affect the performance, like when mounting a regular OTA antenna, a couple feet up or down will catch a strong signal or a weak signal? (Is it real fussy???) :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts