Tigers vs Cardinals in world series

You're right, I have a 1971 ball with Aurellio on it. My prize possession though is one of the old green padded field seats from the original Briggs Stadium. I hope the Tigers go all the way. The city could use it!!!

Paul Wozniak said:
Jimbos, I'm showing my age, In 1968 3rd base would have been Don Wert, SS was Ray Oyler, until the series, when Kaline came back from injury, and Mayo Smith wanted him in the lineup. Smith put Mickey Stanley in at short, so he could play Kaline. Talk about big ones! At any rate it paid off. Ed Brinkman was in the lineup in 1972. He was aquired in the trade that sent McLain to the Senators. Dick McCauliff was the 2nd baseman in 1968 and 1972. Also, Rodriguez came in the previously mentioned trade. I believe the trade was made in 1971, but don't quote me. The senators also through in some pitcher named Hannah and somr other player, but I relly can't remember who that was . Congratulations TIGERS. Lets hope we'll party like it's 1968.

Yeah, Sparky's great. He lives by me in Thousand Oaks, California. When they dedicated the Sparky Anderson Field at Cal Lutheran in Thousand Oaks this past year, Ernie Harwell was one of the guest speakers. It was awesome.

Jimbos said:
Ya I remember the song for sure...
I remember the "Bless you Boys " as well..... Good old Sparky, he was great, I also watched Sparky while he was in Cincy too, I was a big red machine fan also satrting around '70, Rose, Bench, Perez and company ....
Oh those too were the days :hatsoff:

GO get'em Tigers !!!!

Jimbo

Iceberg said:
why does this say "clinched AL Central"?

They havent clinched it yet...just a playoff spot :)
Good point Iceberg,
I suppose they just jumped the gun a bit, they have clinched a playoff spot (as you mentioned) and that is a huge thing for a team that has not been in the playofs since what '68 ???
Yes I know... , '87 I think.

What is the magic number for the division, I thought I had heard it was 2, but I am not sure.
IF thats the case, it could be clinched tonight or tommorow.

edit:
My mistake, the Magic Number is 5

Jimbo

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I read in the News yesterday that the Magic # is 5 for the division.
Is it wrong that I'm kinda hoping the last two games will mean something, since I have tickets? :p

Jimbos said:
Good point Iceberg,
I suppose they just jumped the gun a bit, they have clinched a playoff spot (as you mentioned) and that is a huge thing for a team that has not been in the playofs since what '68 ???
Yes I know... , '87 I think.

What is the magic number for the division, I thought I had heard it was 2, but I am not sure.
IF thats the case, it could be clinched tonight or tommorow.

Jimbo
world series champions 1984 over the padres! oh how quickly you fickel fans forget! LOL

Iceberg said:
why does this say "clinched AL Central"?

They havent clinched it yet...just a playoff spot :)

Yeah that was me... :D Both The Twins and Tigers in the playoffs....Does the division matters at this point? (probably for home field) :D Were the White Sox a 2005 Fluke?

Well, maybe next year for the Rangers.

Us not pitching well is really starting to get old.

Sean Mota said:
Yeah that was me... :D Both The Twins and Tigers in the playoffs....Does the division matters at this point? (probably for home field) :D Were the White Sox a 2005 Fluke?

yes it does because the wild card cant play the division winner of the same division. So pretty much the wild card plays the Yankees

Iceberg said:
yes it does because the wild card cant play the division winner of the same division. So pretty much the wild card plays the Yankees

Yeah, I think The Twins want to get away from the Yanks on the first round.

Sean Mota said:
Yeah, I think The Twins want to get away from the Yanks on the first round.

not necessarily. Yes the Yankees are "The Yankees" but the Twins have proven they can beat anyone this year (and sadly lose to teams like KC & TB)

But giving them home field by winning the Central would help greatly :)

TheTimm said:
I'm pretty sure I read in the News yesterday that the Magic # is 5 for the division.
Is it wrong that I'm kinda hoping the last two games will mean something, since I have tickets? :p
You are correct, I was mistaken, the 2 I heard may have been for the playoffs from a few days ago.

Jimbo

Iceberg said:
not necessarily. Yes the Yankees are "The Yankees" but the Twins have proven they can beat anyone this year (and sadly lose to teams like KC & TB)

But giving them home field by winning the Central would help greatly :)

The Yankees were also swept by TB this year.

Oh my, we have a winning streak going! Twinkies are matching us blow for blow, though. Riffjam thanks for reminding me about Joe Coleman. How could I have forgotten (Oh yeah, I'm old) that guy had a great year in1972. GO TIGERS! Off the subject, you would think all the local sucess, (Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings) would have rubbed off on the pathetic Lions. What will it take to get Matt Millen fired?

Talk about memories !!!
FSN-D just did a little bit with Ernie Harwell interviewing George Kell talking about how Kell came to the broadcast booth.
Talk about two classy guys.
I always loved listening to Ernie and George with his southern draw....
I use to listen to them when I was a kid with the transister radio for late night games
Remember asking for more 9volt batteries from Mom and Dad

Also enjoyed listening to Marty Breneman and Joe Nuxhall as well ,
That was along ways to pick up 700 WLW on my transister as well

Man talk about memories

Those were my favorite Announcers !!!

Jimbo

Tigers fall behind tonight 6-0 against Toronto, comeback falls short and they lose 6-4, but the Twins also got beat by KC
Tigers Magic Number drops to 3.

Thank You K.C.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts