Time again - Weekend Projects?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here's a picture of the end result of my biggest weekend project I've tried so far. I had a buddy make me a 30' dish pole out of well-casing. I then attached the 10' unimesh dish to it. Had another buddy, who's dad owned a semi-sized wrecker to 'hoist' the thing in the air (at least to the point where two guys on the roof could grab hold of it and pull 'er against the side of the garage.

I then took two pieces of flat iron that I secured to the pole, ran lag-bolts through the outside wall of the garage and using very large wing nuts, seucured the bolts to the inside wall of the garage again using two pieces of flat iron.

Believe it or not, I had preset the elevation (I had installed other BUD's before) and 'eye-balled' the north/south axis so when it came time to peak the dish it only took a few minutes.

Advantage: no one would dare try and steal the dish.
Disadvantage: hard to remove snow (had to use roof rake poles)

p.s. I did this in 1991

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 133
Hey there Sikma,

I love it when people are creative. I am going to do much the same thing tomorrow morning.

A friend of mine and I put up the mount this morning eearly.

We put up a 12' pole, but the bottom of it is 8' off the ground, so the total height is 22' with the end sticking above the building just enough to clear the dish. I had another friend who owns a pipe and steel company make the mount out of well casing with 3' wide steel plates welded on 5' apart with 1/2" holes drilled through them with the corresponding holes through the wall with steel plates on the inside. The walls are 12" thick brick and concrete block. It took quite a while to drill the holes and we used a lift to put the mount in place. It is all bolted down now, and almost perfectly plumb.

I have several guys coming out early in the morning to help put the 10' mesh Winegard on it, and help me line it up. By this time tomorrow afternoon, I should be watching FTA.

I would send pictures, but my daughter has the camera in London and won't be home until next weekend.

I'll let everyone know tomorrow afternoon how it is going, and will post pictures next weekend.

Linuxman

Hey there iafirebuff!

Don't know how bullet proof it will be, but the next 60 - 80 mph wind that comes through here will tell the tale.

If it rips those plates through that wall, I'll be surprised, but you never know. Stranger things have happened. :)

I have my 10 ft c-band up again for another weekend project.I scanned in GDMX on a couple of channels.Anyone know what I am on ? I am guessing G4 or close.

holy sh*t sikma

hopefully no big winds come through :)

I've seen 10 footers bolted on a roof but never on a pole

well lets see what we've done so far (pictures later)

even though its only 88 out its pretty warm

Took my Dish500 off the roof and bolted that and a Dish300 to the mast of my TV antenna. I wanted to free up a mast on the roof (cant add anymore because the 6 footer needs its LOS). Peaked both satellites and wired that to my Dish 811 (now that I'm a sub again)

Put the 30" hotdish up where the Dish500 was. Have about 1/2" of clearance on the side between that dish and the StarChoice dish :)
Have no clue where its aimed right now (thats for tomorrow) and hooked 2 cables to the dual LNB.

Cleaned up a little bit of the wiring and left it for the day. An old friend is in town and we're going for dinner and then back to my house so I have to spend the next 3 hours cleaning up the house and making it look spiffy :)

pictures later

john green said:
I have my 10 ft c-band up again for another weekend project.I scanned in GDMX on a couple of channels.Anyone know what I am on ? I am guessing G4 or close.

G4R.. it's SD 4:2:2

Well I had to change the idea due to issues with the Dish receiver and the switch

Switched to DishPro. Swapped LNB's on the 61.5 dish, put a "I" adapter on the Dish500 so that can be peaked for 110 and put a DBS LNB on my G10 dish (with a handy 2 LNB adapter) and had to run new wiring from the switch to the house since the cable was only good for 1800MHZ (now I have stuff good for 2800)

so now its working fine :) I know this isn't really FTA related but it was a weekend project :)

1st picture is the 2 dish setup that's bolted to my TV antenna mast (110 on left, 61.5 on right) (the hole in the "I" adapter on the 110 dish was due to needing a hole in the adapter for an old project)
2nd picture is the 123/119 setup :)
3rd is the whole setup (110, 61.5, 123/119)
4th is a closeup of the 2 LNB bracket (needed a little modification)
5th is my 30" dish on the roof now (satellite spot unknown)
6th is the bracket to hold the 2 dishes to the mast :)

Attachments

• IM000842.JPG
    IM000842.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IM000841.JPG
    IM000841.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IM000840.JPG
    IM000840.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IM000839.JPG
    IM000839.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IM000838.JPG
    IM000838.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 104
  • IM000837.JPG
    IM000837.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 119
I originally had a mast to the tripod of the antenna setup but LOS issues (roof blocked it) so I moved it about a foot up from the tripod

WOW! Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceberg said:
Well I had to change the idea due to issues with the Dish receiver and the switch

Switched to DishPro. Swapped LNB's on the 61.5 dish, put a "I" adapter on the Dish500 so that can be peaked for 110 and put a DBS LNB on my G10 dish (with a handy 2 LNB adapter) and had to run new wiring from the switch to the house since the cable was only good for 1800MHZ (now I have stuff good for 2800)

so now its working fine :) I know this isn't really FTA related but it was a weekend project :)

1st picture is the 2 dish setup that's bolted to my TV antenna mast (110 on left, 61.5 on right) (the hole in the "I" adapter on the 110 dish was due to needing a hole in the adapter for an old project)
2nd picture is the 123/119 setup :)
3rd is the whole setup (110, 61.5, 123/119)
4th is a closeup of the 2 LNB bracket (needed a little modification)
5th is my 30" dish on the roof now (satellite spot unknown)
6th is the bracket to hold the 2 dishes to the mast :)

I still have not gone out and added teh 2nd lnb to my Primestar dish yet. Just got back from the tattoo parlor, as my wife got another tattoo so I watched :) gonna eat lunch then maybe to the lnb :)

Eastcoast said:
Well Iceberg I'm impressed and sure makes my single 1.2M look pretty lonely.

Dave

There's one more dish you can't see. In the picture of the SC dish and the dish that's aimed at the unknown, there is a motorized to the left of the SC dish

OK, here is my FTA project for the weekend... I just went outside and here are pics of my completed Primestar project. I do plan to add another lnb to this. The sky pic is the view I have.

Attachments

• Img_0109.jpg
    Img_0109.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 106
  • Img_0111.jpg
    Img_0111.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Img_0112.jpg
    Img_0112.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 111
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)