Time again - Weekend Projects?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Once again, I must ask - what are your weekend FTA projects? I like knowing what others are up to, it gives me ideas :) As for me, I will be getting the supplies to set up my newly acquired Primestar dishes :)

Hi Larry

I have to say that I don't have any FTA projects this weekend as I ha some work related stuff to do and my youngest daughter has a soccer tournament today and tomorrow in between the reminents to post tropical storm Berl.
I am hoping to hear about Scott G. experiment with the C/KU using a 1.2 M dish and BSC421 lnbf, as I would like to try that.
Hoping to pick up a 1.2 M dish from a local supplier that sometimes has them as to get one from Sadoun and shipped here probably would cost a lot.
Good Luck sinking to new post (keep it level;lol)

Dave

Shipping would be a killer!

Eastcoast said:
Hi Larry

I have to say that I don't have any FTA projects this weekend as I ha some work related stuff to do and my youngest daughter has a soccer tournament today and tomorrow in between the reminents to post tropical storm Berl.
I am hoping to hear about Scott G. experiment with the C/KU using a 1.2 M dish and BSC421 lnbf, as I would like to try that.
Hoping to pick up a 1.2 M dish from a local supplier that sometimes has them as to get one from Sadoun and shipped here probably would cost a lot.
Good Luck sinking to new post (keep it level;lol)

Dave

I got my pole in the ground early yesterday at about 9 a.m. After the shade arrived I went out and put the dish and motor on and viola! video! I have been doing scans and such today while its hot but I think I'll go out later and twist the LNB around a bit , I don't think it's straight. While staring at my "perfect" pole...the LNB arm on the Winegard seems a little askew. FUN STUFF!!!

:hatsoff:

I've been doing my fta projects during the week (my days off). This past week I first installed by bsc621 ku/c lnbf on a 5' mesh with terrible ku results, so I put up a 10' mesh. C-band was great, but ku stunk. After all that I decided to put up one of my P* dishes again, but had to retro-fit a polar mount from the 10' dish to attach to the P*. Worked dandy, but the P* is too small for c-band reception so for the time being I'm stuck on ku only. I also rigged the actuator up to one of my old General Instruments 2400R receiver to move the dish. It works but I'm having a terrible time trying to program sat. locations into it, so for now I have to just move east and west while watching the signal meter climb on whatever birds I'm trying to pull in..........I will not accept defeat however!!!

well lets see....since its only 86 out today (versus last weekend when it was 100 with humidex of 112) I got some stuff done :)

-Hooked up a DBS LNB to my motorized. Now I can get the DBS slots all the way to 148 (couldn't before with the Invacom due to roof line) and wired that up with a 22k switch
-Since 91 is pretty much kaput with all the radio gone, and I'm going to be getting Dish Notwork (again) pretty soon, I took down the Phase II (that had 91/101KU/110) and put up a Dish500 with Legacy Quad LNB. Aimed that and hooked up the wiring (it was already there) :)
-replaced a Diseqc switch (had a 4x1 only needed a 2x1) and reran a cable from Motorized dish (Sadoun KU dual) to switch (for 2nd receiver on motorzed)
-cleaned up the wiring on the roof and redid some zip ties
-replaced the 4x4 switch with a 3x4 for right now (unhooked the SBS6 dish...have to run a 2nd cable but thats for another day)
-shifted sandbag on C-Band dish a little bit (to even out the weight better)

I think that is it :)

hantu

on a nice day (nice to me is 70 or so with little humidity) I will be out working on stuff all day :) The neighbor just wonders when I'm ouot all day tinkering with the setup

Although I keep forgetting when its warm out, don't climb on your roof at 3:00 in the afternoon. Its pretty warm up there :D

And the last thing you want to do is wear shorts and kneel on a roof!

VERY painful picking out the 110º shingle from your knee's!

PSB said:
And the last thing you want to do is wear shorts and kneel on a roof!

had shorts on and put one hand on the roof (D'OH) and the other on a Dish pole foot plate that is still on the roof (double D'OH)

That was the quickest I added a LNB up there....I was cussing at myself because I couldn't get the hose clamp closed quick enough :)

Last edited:
This time of year is tough for me because the bees are usually at their busiest. I have a mild allergy to them and after the "little incident" with a mast full of those little bas***ds on my D* dish, I don't want to go through that again. That's another time when you don't want to go up on the roof. You are out of "running room" in a hurry!

It has finally gone from the 90's down to the high 70's round here, so tomorrow will be a good day to clean the dish and do some "bolt checkin". I've lost a little signal strength, so I want to check on the usual suspects.

Did my FTA project earlier in the week...

Got my replacement HH120 on Monday and had it up and running that evening. It works MUCH better than the old one. It's only hiccupped twice all week and I've been having a ball motoring and scanning satellites!

Watching a poorly-dubbed 70's karate movie right now on Black Belt TV on 61W. Boy, those take me back to my childhood. :D

between the old kung fu movies on Black Belt and the old movies/cartoons on White Spring, my motor gets a workout :)

GNF is pretty good also, cool older cartoons and movies. I think my 76cm is gonna end up stuck on ia5 just to get this channel.

Is that all? geesh, busy man :)

Iceberg said:
well lets see....since its only 86 out today (versus last weekend when it was 100 with humidex of 112) I got some stuff done :)

-Hooked up a DBS LNB to my motorized. Now I can get the DBS slots all the way to 148 (couldn't before with the Invacom due to roof line) and wired that up with a 22k switch
-Since 91 is pretty much kaput with all the radio gone, and I'm going to be getting Dish Notwork (again) pretty soon, I took down the Phase II (that had 91/101KU/110) and put up a Dish500 with Legacy Quad LNB. Aimed that and hooked up the wiring (it was already there) :)
-replaced a Diseqc switch (had a 4x1 only needed a 2x1) and reran a cable from Motorized dish (Sadoun KU dual) to switch (for 2nd receiver on motorzed)
-cleaned up the wiring on the roof and redid some zip ties
-replaced the 4x4 switch with a 3x4 for right now (unhooked the SBS6 dish...have to run a 2nd cable but thats for another day)
-shifted sandbag on C-Band dish a little bit (to even out the weight better)

I think that is it :)

gnf? cool! I had overlooked this channel, thanks drhydro.

As "weekend" projects go, i'm a pick me up a fortec mercury II, and blind scan untill my eyes bleed (twinhan is nice, but can't scan for peanuts)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts