Time again - Weekend Projects?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
sikma said:
I'm confused Ice, what can you get with an 811 receiver? I thought E* phased those out???

E will still activate them. You just can't get the HD pack. Heck, they'd activate my ancient Dish 5000 receiver if I wanted

But I don't have a subscription to Dish (yet). I am using it for OTA digital. Since you have to have it hooked to a sat signal, I ran a line from my 119 LNB to the dish. Get 101, 103, 213, 262 for free (the same stuff we see) but no audio :(

I'm using it for OTA HD/Digital. Get the Minneapolis stations crystal clear but the main reason I got it was for "The Tube" and the local WB (KMWB 23) just added "The Tube" on a digital subchannel (23-2) and some of the "extra" digital channels (out PBS has a kids channel (like what PBSKids was), PBSYou (they call it create), that new weather+ channel on NBC and ABC (ABC replays the newscasts too) but the main reason I got it (besides the tube) is the channels are clear (no snow, no lines). Drawback is you need a good signal but my simple outdoor Rat SHack antenna works great :)

iafirebuff said:
YOu can get the "old" HD Pack, and locals in HD with an 811. I hear they no longer activate them.
They'll activate them but for SD only. Cant get HD Pack on them

I guess it can be used as an OTA tuner so long as it is hooked up to a Dish Network bird. Not sure if that is still true.
thats what I'm doing. But you do need a feed from a satellite signal (any of the Dish birds) at all time or it doesn't work.

Actually, what Dish is doing is when people are upgrading to the new MPEG4 stuff (622, 411, 211) Dish is allowing you to return your old box. The 811's they are refurbing and are going to be calling it the 381. SD only with a HD OTA tuner in it (same thing as a 811)

iafirebuff said:
I am also thinking about putting up a new OTA antenna, as my wife wants to be able to see her shows (Big Brother and such), and if we happen to get a storm while its on, then she is not happy :)

Larry I'd use that 811 too for a couple reasons

-even if you dont have a HDTV, you can still watch the shows from the 811 in SD (and its digital so its clear..no snow/noise)

-Also, I just checked for your area and KWWL (NBC) has The Tube on a subchannel too :)

I might have to hook it up. I would have to run another line from the dish to it though, as I used the old 2nd line form the Dish 500 to run the FTA sat in. It's about 75' run to the shed, so I have to bury it. I have so many cables buried, that I am afraid I will hit one if I bury it :)

Here's a question.....if you don't sub. to E* and just have the 811 hooked up, pointed at an E* bird just to get the thing to pick up OTA-digital...what happens when it rains and you lose the signal from the sat. do you also lose the receivers' ability to pick up the OTA?

The digital channels have a level meter too (most of mine are between 84-91% on a 100 scale). Since its digital if it rains the signal may go down and out too.

But in the Dish area they said when you are on a OTA signal, the box actually isn't getting a sat signal at the time so I don't see why it wouldn't work (as long as you have a signal on OTA)

iafirebuff said:
I might have to hook it up. I would have to run another line from the dish to it though, as I used the old 2nd line form the Dish 500 to run the FTA sat in. It's about 75' run to the shed, so I have to bury it. I have so many cables buried, that I am afraid I will hit one if I bury it :)

You could diplex them together (OTA & sat signal)

put a DirecTV 3x4 multiswitch on the 119 LNB
-one line is FTA
-one line goes to your subbed box (well the switch you have outside)
-one gets diplexed into the OTA and goes to the 811

I was going to do that (diplex) but both cables were already there (I just replaced the crappy OTA cable)

Just got my new offset scalar ring and mount from Mr. SPIN. Now it's time to play..................oh wait! I'm not off until Monday#@$*(&$%#^%#

after a diseqc (between the receiver and diseqc, yes)

But Dish receivers dont work with Diseqc so you would need a line from the dish to the receiver

Well its raining a bit here and was working for awhile at my real job.But i had planned to tinker with that new 1.2 fiberglass ( new to me anyway)
Got to replace the mount at it weighs 11 pounds, the bolts that hold the mount to the dish are 12.5 inches apart so I will have to come up with something that will mount to the SG2100 arm.Looking at Pete's suggestion.
I also have a BSC621-2 that I am going to attach to the 1m first because its new and I can't wait.The plan is to mount the 1.2m in place of the 1m.

Dave

Attachments

• Picture 120.jpg
    Picture 120.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
11 pound mount - WOW!

Eastcoast said:
Well its raining a bit here and was working for awhile at my real job.But i had planned to tinker with that new 1.2 fiberglass ( new to me anyway)
Got to replace the mount at it weighs 11 pounds, the bolts that hold the mount to the dish are 12.5 inches apart so I will have to come up with something that will mount to the SG2100 arm.Looking at Pete's suggestion.
I also have a BSC621-2 that I am going to attach to the 1m first because its new and I can't wait.The plan is to mount the 1.2m in place of the 1m.

Dave

Eastcoast said:

Dave
Eastcoast, let me know why kind of signals you end up getting on ku/c on that 1.2 with the bsc621. I've got a line on a 1.2 but haven't made the deal yet.....I just bought a bsc621 and 'just for the heck of it' going to rig it up on one of my P* dishes.....but I'm very interested in results of the bsc621 on a 1.2

Sikma

Sure thing I'll let you know, also I will have to check on those offset scalar.Well its raining pretty good now looks like a trip to the harware store to find some dish mounting material.

Dave

I just got my offset scalar from Spindoctor. Not sure if he has any left. I just opened the box (delivered 30 min. ago) it looks perfect....also came with a large lnb mount so it will retro-fit perfectly with a 1.2 or old P* dish arm. I won't be able to get the scalar mounted until Monday.....I'm at work now..sshhhhhhhh

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)