Time again - Weekend Projects?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Keith Brannen said:
Now if that post had been something for the wife, it would have
been: "What? Are you kidding? In this heat? I'll die out there!"

The things we do for our hobby (addiction)!
My Wife actually helped me get the 10 foot C-band in working order yesterday.Some of the mesh panels had come out.I am back on that project shortly.

Lets see if I can upload a pic or 2. Looking on the screen, the pics are hazy as I had not let the camera get adjusted to the outdoors yet, so ther is condesation :-( SORRY!

Attachments

• dishes.jpg
    dishes.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 126
  • fortec1.jpg
    fortec1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 121
  • fortec2.jpg
    fortec2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 132
  • fortec3.jpg
    fortec3.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 106
  • fortec4.jpg
    fortec4.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 116
  • post.jpg
    post.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 135
Iceberg said:
so true!

I won't leave to go visit relatives because its too hot out but I'll spend an hour
outside fixing or tweaking a dish

My lawn needs to be cut (has for several days, longer actually), but there is no way I'll do it in this heat! Yet, yesterday I was out tweaking and moving LNBs, and if my dish moved and needed to be re-pointed, I'd be out there in a second!

I had a small scrap piece of wood and a thin piece of plastic in between. I used 2 hose clamps as when I had 1 it was still loose. I have a signal quality of 60+% on White Springs. I took a little b&w tv up on the roof with me and moved the lnb around until I got a strong signal, then mounted it, adjusted. Really could have used another set of hands :) But, it works real good! While adjusting, I received 127 I think - the one with chinese tv on it - or japenese, cant remember :)

john green said:
My Wife actually helped me get the 10 foot C-band in working order yesterday.Some of the mesh panels had come out.I am back on that project shortly.

iafirebuff said:
My wife offered to help, but I told her go inside where its cool :) No sense in 2 of us withering away :)

You are both lucky! My wife's eyes sort of glaze over when I talk too long about FTA and the satellite dishes. Her hobby is golf, so we have sort of a "Mexican standoff" when it comes to costs!

Thanks for the kind words! I copied your pics and took your advice! I had to use 2 clamps, as I think due to the design of the KUL1, they were"wobbly", so 2 held them in place. It looks like the Fortec Universal LNBs I have for the Primestar dish might be easier to moutn side by side. Which, that reminds me.....I can probably go out and throw the dirt around the pole, and put this Primestar up. The cement instructions said it can handle a load in 4 hours :) BUT....it is "warm" out :)

Iceberg said:
nice job Larry with the setup

Love the hose clamps :)

iafirebuff said:
Thanks for the kind words! I copied your pics and took your advice! I had to use 2 clamps, as I think due to the design of the KUL1, they were"wobbly", so 2 held them in place. It looks like the Fortec Universal LNBs I have for the Primestar dish might be easier to moutn side by side. Which, that reminds me.....I can probably go out and throw the dirt around the pole, and put this Primestar up. The cement instructions said it can handle a load in 4 hours :) BUT....it is "warm" out :)

Nice pics... I always love to see others setups. I always give cement at least 24 hours to cure before messing with it. Did you fill the pipe up with cement?

I don't see the coax in your pic?? In the few setups I did I ran 3 direct burial RG-6's to the FTA. I ran them in some PVC through the cement and buried them by themsevles in the ground. The PVC ran about 2 foot up the pole to keep the weedeater off the cables. And you might ask why 3 cables? I should have went with 4, right? ;) The diseqc switch will be after the motor on the dish, what if I want another stationary 18inch on the house? Mount the 18inch on the house and run it out to the motorized dish through one of the 2 spare cables and tie it into one of the diseqc ports.

I am going to bury the coax once the dish is in place. My house is close by, ans I am going to run the cable to a diseqc switch, which will then feed another disqec switch. So, I will have 2 disqec switches involved. I still have more room for another Primestar dish :)

I do like your idea of running the cabble through pvc.

Good to see lots of people hard at work doing projects and maybe just tweaking and great job Larry.
I put together a mount for my 1.2M dishbased on some pictures I seen from others members ideas,the distance between bolts on the back of the 1.2 m are 12.5 in apart thats why I decided to do it this way.
So I did manage to mount the dish in place of the 1M with no problems. THIS Mount i made weighs 3 lbs compared to 11 lbs of the original,
Here is a pic of my new mount and sorry its not a great picture as it was half in the shade and I was in a rush.

Dave

Here is the one that was on it originally too.

Attachments

• Picture 124.jpg
    Picture 124.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 121.jpg
    Picture 121.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
VERY nice work Dave! What did the dish weigh that you took off? Just wondering how much extra weight you have now!

Will be keeping a SHARP lookout for one of these :up

Thanks Pete, I followed the thread you referred me too and got those ideas. The dish I took off was a 1M Winegard although I never weighed it I believe it is around 22 or 23 lbs, so i have about 5 lbs more at about 28 lbs.
Also stuck the ku lnbf on there for a test and lined it up pretty good,the sig lvl is up don't think Q moved at all.

Dave

Well, just got back inside, went out and filled in around the post, and spread the extra dirt/clay/lime in a low spot of my yard. It is only 95 out, so I was chilly :) Had to take my 3rd shower for the day, so I will call it quits for this weekend. I will put the Primestar dish up sometime this week (who am I kidding, I will be out there tomorrow after work) :)

iafirebuff said:
I am going to bury the coax once the dish is in place. My house is close by, ans I am going to run the cable to a diseqc switch, which will then feed another disqec switch. So, I will have 2 disqec switches involved. I still have more room for another Primestar dish :)

I do like your idea of running the cabble through pvc.

Two diseqc in line? You know that's not going to work right?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)