Time again - Weekend Projects?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
simulated said:
gnf? cool! I had overlooked this channel, thanks drhydro.

As "weekend" projects go, i'm a pick me up a fortec mercury II, and blind scan untill my eyes bleed (twinhan is nice, but can't scan for peanuts)
GNF movies is on IA5 (97w) freq is 12177 v symbol rate of 23000.

I've been so un FTA lately it isn't funny. wish I had time for it. Between building another house with just me and my wife, kids, and family vacations......no time. I found an old starchoice, I think its a 36" x 32" dish, during some work I did out at a local lake. The folks who owned it had it sitting in the garbage, they said the garbage man didn't take it, and they said go ahead. I'd like to install it in replace of my 30" to see if it get a bit better signal on G10. I can't seem to pick up MUX on 11720 anymore (low qual). So maybe by the end of the summer I will get at it.

Pete... My neighbours always ask me....."hey, what do you do up on the roof with that satellite dish".

Like that was said before....we are pretty easy animals to track.

sharris said:
Pete... My neighbours always ask me....."hey, what do you do up on the roof with that satellite dish".

Like that was said before....we are pretty easy animals to track.

Yep! I spend a lot of my spare time on the roof too!

One neighbour today was giving me "that look" :D

Yeah I know it's Wednesday but I did all this stuff Friday and Saturday :)

My arch sucks but I can manage to pull in 72w - 110w. pic1

This is why I can't see G10....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr pic2

My lawn guys chopes everything so you all probably did similar protection. pic 3

standard side view :) pic 4

The 5 people who saw the install all said the same thing.... eh...interesting....not even one "ataboy" :( You guys know the trouble involved !!!

:hatsoff:

Attachments

• arc2.jpg
    arc2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 134
  • g10r.jpg
    g10r.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 127
  • protect.jpg
    protect.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 106
  • side4.jpg
    side4.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
iafirebuff said:
Wow! Not much extra room!

Nope...but careful placement lets me get 72w-110w at decent quality...plus it was fun and I met some really neat and helpful people on here...... I've wanted a moving dish since I was a teenager and my neighbor had a BUD.....there's no way to get G10r from my yard but I'll live ...special thanks to PSB for straightening out some early confusions!

:hatsoff:

nothing this weekend...gonna be too DAMN HOT OUT

98 tomorrow
95 Saturday
100 Sunday
100 monday
:(:(

Attachments

• web_7day.jpg
    web_7day.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 83
well, I plan on working on IA5 with the Primestar. It is supposed to be 95 or more with high humidity :-( And, I might put the dish on the side of my house that the sun beats down on - and I have white vinyl siding, so when I work on that side of the house I bake!

I know I should at night...but the bugs would eat me alive!!!!!! Especially since I would need to turn a light on every now and then. Looks like 97 for sunday, heat index over 100. It must be gonna be hot, if Iceberg in MN is high 90's!

iafirebuff said:
I know I should at night...but the bugs would eat me alive!!!!!! Especially since I would need to turn a light on every now and then. Looks like 97 for sunday, heat index over 100. It must be gonna be hot, if Iceberg in MN is high 90's!

Wednesday night it wasn't bugs that forced me inside, it was the rain! I was adding an LNB on the second dish to get AMC 3 and had already aligned the LNB holder the day before using one of the other LNB's and was just waiting for the new LNB to come in the mail. The new LNB arrived Wednesday and after work I began to do the coax cables, 22Khz switch, etc. Just before putting the new LNB in the holder, it begins to rain and didn't stop for about 2 hours until after 10 p.m. (meanwhile I'm in the house muttering "all I needed was another five minutes...). Of course, as soon as it stops raining, I'm back up on the ladder with a flashlight and the LNB and complete the job in a couple of minutes. Most surprisingly, I didn't drop any of the bolts or nuts, as it would have been the perfect time for "butter fingers"!

OK, the forcast says 96 today heat index 103. Sunday 98, heat index 111! So, since I have to work today, looks like tomorrow is the day I will play with the Primestar :) Maybe tonight I might try :) So anyone else have any projects this weekend?

well I lied :)

I got a HD receiver (since the tube is on a subchannel here in Mpls) so I decided to run a new cable from the antenna to the receiver. The antenna is 10 feet up on a tripod on the deck, so its no biggie to do. Just take down the mast and put the new cable on, run it under the deck into the house and done.

But with it 92 out within 5 minutes it was blech out there (too damn humid out). Outside for 20 minutes (came in once for water break)...

Ran new cable and hooked up to HD receiver (a Dish 811) and now I'm Tube-ing :D

YOu can get the "old" HD Pack, and locals in HD with an 811. I hear they no longer activate them. I have one that is currently activated, and one that I canceled over a year ago, and they never sent a box for me to send the receiver back. I have called them and even emailed the ceo email and they have never sent a box. I have not been charged the lease fee since last year either. It is out in my shed on a shelf, taking up room. I guess it can be used as an OTA tuner so long as it is hooked up to a Dish Network bird. Not sure if that is still true.

Gotta love this weather. Walk the dogs for 10 minutes, and you need to drink a half gallon of water so you don't dehydrate :) I can't wait until fall and winter. At least you don't die when you go outside :)

Iceberg said:
well I lied :)

I got a HD receiver (since the tube is on a subchannel here in Mpls) so I decided to run a new cable from the antenna to the receiver. The antenna is 10 feet up on a tripod on the deck, so its no biggie to do. Just take down the mast and put the new cable on, run it under the deck into the house and done.

But with it 92 out within 5 minutes it was blech out there (too damn humid out). Outside for 20 minutes (came in once for water break)...

Ran new cable and hooked up to HD receiver (a Dish 811) and now I'm Tube-ing :D

I am also thinking about putting up a new OTA antenna, as my wife wants to be able to see her shows (Big Brother and such), and if we happen to get a storm while its on, then she is not happy :)

Just a FYI on the weather - The thermometer at the Convention Center across the street from where I work shows 83, and it is not even 9am yet :-(

Status
Please reply by conversation.