To SET 1080i in NATIVE RESOLUTION WITHOUT the SD Stretch...

Jahbig

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2004
To SET 1080i in NATIVE RESOLUTION WITHOUT the SD Stretch...

1. Enter system settings from the Setting Menu.
2. Enter INSTALLER MENU
3. Enter INSTALLATION WIZARD
4. Enter SET OUTPUT RESOLUTION
5. Set output to 1080i; Press OK. The next screen Press OK again. You must be at the screen that allows you to change the STB resolution using the colored buttons.
6. Open door housing red button and press until the four line lights ALL
illuminate indicating native resolution. Notice as you press the
red button, the bottom left lettering remain at 1080i through each TV screen resolution change. Press OK to lock in 1080i. BACK out of all menus or press WATCH after exiting INSTALLER'S MENU.

The reason for all of this?

....As long as the bottom left corner says 1080i as you manually push the red STB button until you reach the all lights Native Mode....Press OK......NOW you'll get the most potential out of both your TV Display and the Voom STB.....

Following these steps will lock in 1080i in NATIVE RESOLUTION for HD channels and allows the STB to operate on SD channels with much better clarity WITHOUT the STRETCH. Also repeat steps after rebooting.

P.S. For OTA channels a DB8 from Antennas Direct is the ticket. I'm 65
miles from the LA tower on Mount Wilson with mountains and whatever. I picked up 40 channels with a signal of 90+.

Vooming and Lovin' IT........

I saw these identical instructions yesteday and tried them out this morning. I ran into a few problems. On step number 5 if you hit OK it leaves the screen with the colored buttons. I went ahead back into that screen and completed the procedure. When I checked SD channels they were still stretched. Also, we ended up with a distorted and green picture on some HD channels (I'm guessing these channels were in 720p since my HDTV does not support 720p) so it doesn't appear that it locked in at 1080i. I have a 30" widescreen Samsung that supports 480i, 480p, and 1080i. I'd love to get my SD channels pillar boxed instead of stretched.

After pressing OK you leave the screen with the colored buttons, press OK
again to return to the colored button screen...then press the red button on your STB for Native Resolution....Press OK again....then proceed to back out....Let me know what happens...because this lock in 1080i HD in Native Resolution for HD channels, and auto switches to SD resolution for SD
channels without the STRETCH.

I don't get it. Isn't there an option in the video setup that lets you specify STRETCH or PILLARBOX on sd 4:3 content? Is there some reason this isn't working?

So, I guess what you are saying is that this tricky mode you are setting works just like native, but only uses 1080i for HD channels and not 720p?

For the SD channels, are you still able to use your TVs functions to have them fill up the widescreen? I will have to play with the voom box tonight just to see what it is this procedure does and if it helps me.

THANKS!
--Dan

dankgus said:
I don't get it. Isn't there an option in the video setup that lets you specify STRETCH or PILLARBOX on sd 4:3 content? Is there some reason this isn't working?

So, I guess what you are saying is that this tricky mode you are setting works just like native, but only uses 1080i for HD channels and not 720p?

For the SD channels, are you still able to use your TVs functions to have them fill up the widescreen? I will have to play with the voom box tonight just to see what it is this procedure does and if it helps me.

THANKS!
--Dan

Hit Voom button>press green button for Options>System Settings>Picture Format>Narrow to Wide select Pillar>Save Changes and Return>Hit Back until you exit menu. I have my STB set to 1080i fixed and my SD channels are displayed "window boxed" with black bars on either side of screen. Unfortunately, you cannot change them to gray to prevent CRT burn-in.

If you press the red button until all amber lights are lit on the STB then the channel's native resolution will be sent to your monitor. 1080i content will be sent to your TV at 1080i, 720p will be sent 720p, and SD will be sent at 480i. This is not an option for those with CRT sets that cannot display 720p (OTA ABC, FOX or ESPN if Voom ever passes it through at 720p) since you will get no picture on your TV.

Also, using the red button sets the STB's resolution without using the menu at all. The resolution increases in sequence from lower light (480>720>1080) to upper light. Again, all lights lit is native mode.

This is just the topic I wanted to address in a new thread today. I need advice... I have an InFocus ScreenPlay 7200 projector which is native 720P. It has a pretty good scaler (Faroudja FLI2300). Should I set the VOOM box to show all amber lights using the red button and let the projector do all the scaling? Or is it better to set the box for 720P using the menus?

Thanks,
Todd/Indianapolis

WHat I want to know is, not stretch, on my SD TV I like to leave the WIdescreen option to letterbox.

Problem is that my OTA SD for some reason have bars on the top and bottom as if it were HD widescreen (which they are not) and bars on the top and bottom. If I set the resolution to 480p (which my SD can't do, also I'm connected via coax) I get a vertical stretch instead. Now satellite SD channels look fine, it's only OTA SD.. what the heck?

Dvlos said:
WHat I want to know is, not stretch, on my SD TV I like to leave the WIdescreen option to letterbox.

Problem is that my OTA SD for some reason have bars on the top and bottom as if it were HD widescreen (which they are not) and bars on the top and bottom. If I set the resolution to 480p (which my SD can't do, also I'm connected via coax) I get a vertical stretch instead. Now satellite SD channels look fine, it's only OTA SD.. what the heck?
I think the STB is sensing the OTA with the pillars the same way it senses a 1.78:1 HD signal. Therefore it is simply adding the letterbox to the whole frame which just so happens to include the pillars in it. The OTA signal of an HD channel is always 1080i/720p even if the content is pillard SD.

Ah, that could be it, because some of the subchannels, are SD only, or weather maps and they come in fine...I wish the remote had buttons on it to flip Crop/Letterbox on the fly now for this reason also.

Dvlos said:
Ah, that could be it, because some of the subchannels, are SD only, or weather maps and they come in fine...I wish the remote had buttons on it to flip Crop/Letterbox on the fly now for this reason also.
Are your weather maps stretched to 16X9 or pillared? If they are stretched, is it still letterboxed on the SDTV?

Try Both....Experiment.....Try the Native Resolution steps using both HD modes...........

tbhausen said:
This is just the topic I wanted to address in a new thread today. I need advice... I have an InFocus ScreenPlay 7200 projector which is native 720P. It has a pretty good scaler (Faroudja FLI2300). Should I set the VOOM box to show all amber lights using the red button and let the projector do all the scaling? Or is it better to set the box for 720P using the menus?

Thanks,
Todd/Indianapolis

Try Both....Experiment.....Try the Native Resolution steps using both HD modes...........

wasch_24 said:
Are your weather maps stretched to 16X9 or pillared? If they are stretched, is it still letterboxed on the SDTV?

No weather maps are full 4:3 on the SDTV, but the main channel is pillared AND letterboxed.

This issue is confusing the heck out of me. I tried native (all amber lights on) and my DVI picture was scaled-down on SD channels. I'm only having luck with the 720P "green button" setting.

Is there a concisely-written explanation of all this somewhere, or is this info sacred to installers?

TIA,
Todd

Hopefully this helps: Using Native Resolution on a 4 x 3 HDTV on the HD channels has black bars top and bottom....on SD Channels the screeen is full....On a 16 x 9 widescreen HD set the screen is full on HD channels, and the SD channels have black bars on the sides of the picture....Native Resolution allows the HD TV sets to automatically switch betwwen the resolution modes without stretching SD channels.
IF you use the red manual button on the STB alone without doing the steps the STB reverts back to 720p in native mode.....The OK command in the
lower left corner will inform you of what resolution mode you're in.

There is no instructions or information...just experiementation to get the highest quality picture on every channel....trying to maximize my Sony's potential.....

Good luck......

tbhausen said:
This issue is confusing the heck out of me. I tried native (all amber lights on) and my DVI picture was scaled-down on SD channels. I'm only having luck with the 720P "green button" setting.

Is there a concisely-written explanation of all this somewhere, or is this info sacred to installers?

TIA,
Todd
Hopefully this helps: Using Native Resolution on a 4 x 3 HDTV on the HD channels has
black bars top and bottom....on SD Channels the screeen is full....On a 16 x 9 wide screen HD set the screen is full on HD channels, and the SD channels have black bars on the sides of the picture....Native Resolution allows the HD TV sets to automatically switch betwwen the resolution modes without stretching SD channels.
IF you use the red manual button on the STB alone without doing the steps the STB reverts back to 720p in native mode.....The OK command in the
lower left corner will inform you of what resolution mode you're in.

There is no instructions or information...just experiementation to get the highest
quality picture on every channel....trying to maximize my Sony's potential.....

Good luck......

I just leave mine in Native mode. I tried all the settings and since I use a 4:3 analog monitor at the same time I use my PJ, I had to use this setting or else I got vertically stretched images on the 4:3 set. My PJ handles all resolutions just fine so it's not an issue for me.

The confusion to me is the interaction between what you choose in the installer menu and the red button. There's no "native" option in the installer menu; you must choose among 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. The red button seems to cycle between these four options (each amber light bar from the top down respectively) and all bars lit (native).

My projector is 720P native (DLP). What do I do in both places (menu, red button) to allow the projector to do all scaling on all channels?

TIA,
Todd/Indianapolis

tbhausen said:
My projector is 720P native (DLP). What do I do in both places (menu, red button) to allow the projector to do all scaling on all channels?
TIA,
Todd/Indianapolis
Todd, my pj is 720p native as well, and I just push the red button till all 4 bars are lit and leave it in Native mode. The pj will switch everytime you change resolution, but I've found that to be the best way for my pj to handle the signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)