To SET 1080i in NATIVE RESOLUTION WITHOUT the SD Stretch...

When I tried that, I don't seem to get any DVI output. Component seems OK. Thoughts?

Todd

One question on your DVI input: Your DVI input should accept an Analog or a Digital input, go into the menu on your DVI port and see how it's set.

is this something that has been a problem? On the first day I got my voom, I just turned to a SD channel, hit the red button on the front of the box couple times until it was in 1080i, then I went to a 720p channel, did the same thing, and the 1080i channel always was 1080i. I don't get what the problem was. Maybe something im missunderstanding.

I tried this and it worked! Thank you. What a difference! My 480 res channels are no longer stretched. I can make them letter box, pillar box or stretch as I need. This is a great break-through. With DirecTv you can not do this. It's either stretch or pillar box. No letter box choice. Thanks again!! For those of you having a problem with this just follow the directions. Don't think about it. Once you do the first part and set it in 1080i touch the red button until all buttons are lit....then hit 1080i again and leave the box. It works!! Now you can take all letter box programs like IFC & TCM and fill the screen without distortion. Before letter boxes were stretched thin and distorted. Mainly, this let's you letter box where needed.

OK I took the time to really work with this (I should have read more carefully that you need to use the colored buttons twice--once before and once after--setting the stb to native or "all bars amber").

I don't really see much difference choosing 1080i or 720p with the colored buttons using this procedure. Does it matter which I set with the colored buttons, since my projector has to scale 1080i to 720p if the stb delivers the 1080i native?

Also, I originally set up the stb at 720p and didn't even know about the amber bars. I never noticed any SD "stretching"--I always had pillar bars (at least on FOX News, which is about the only SD I watch). Is this whole issue only a problem for 1080i-native display devices.

Thanks all--I NEVER would have figured this all out without this forum. And the installers certainly don't do this kind of education (because we're not smart enough to mess with this stuff, anyway--my main problem with VOOM).

EDIT: I just checked my projector's "About" screen, which lists the incoming signal's resolution after setting 1080i/native per this procedure, and the projector reports 1080i when tuned to SD FOX News. Are we really certain that all amber bars means the tuned channel's native resolution is being sent to the display device?

Todd/Indy

tbhausen said:
EDIT: I just checked my projector's "About" screen, which lists the incoming signal's resolution after setting 1080i/native per this procedure, and the projector reports 1080i when tuned to SD FOX News. Are we really certain that all amber bars means the tuned channel's native resolution is being sent to the display device?

Todd/Indy
Todd, if I am reading this correctly, your stb stays 1080i all the time but does not stretch SD material, it leaves it pillarboxed.

My mit works great on native. The problem comes in when I tune in ota. Several freeze the stb if tuned in the native mode. There is no way to change modes with the remote and that is a problem.

I am glad some of you are helped by this thread, but I still just don't get it. The only time I have seen SD channels stretched is when I told the Voom box to "STRETCH" 4:3 material.

Are you all aware that this option does exist? You can STRETCH or PILLARBOX. Is there anything more that can be said that might help me understand better the problem?

Still confused as to why there is a problem.
--Dan

dankgus said:
I am glad some of you are helped by this thread, but I still just don't get it. The only time I have seen SD channels stretched is when I told the Voom box to "STRETCH" 4:3 material.

Are you all aware that this option does exist? You can STRETCH or PILLARBOX. Is there anything more that can be said that might help me understand better the problem?

Still confused as to why there is a problem.
--Dan
Using Native Resolution with the red STB button only, reverts back to 720p on HD channels when switching channels....using the 1080i red button in the Installer Menu Locks ALL channels in the 1080i resolution, so your SD channels are Stretched......These steps allow you to use Native resolution with the HD channels locked in at 1080i and the SD channels using whatever the Station Broadcaster is transmitting without the Stretch. The bottom left corner tells what resolution the STB is in when in the "Set Output Resolution (colored buttons) page".....

Test: Manually set STB Native resolution...Set 1080i using red colored button with the remote control....press OK..... press OK again....IF the bottom left corner says "Press OK to set resolution at 720p"....then follow the steps...your STB converts to 720p when changing channels in Native mode. If not, you've pass with flying colors!

The reason for all of this?

To get the HD channels to display in 1080i and the SD channels to display in 480i/480p without the stretch....As long as the bottom left corner says 1080i as you manually push the red STB button until you reach the all lights Native Mode....you'll get the most potential out of both your TV Display and the Voom STB.....

Ok, it's been asked several times in this thread without an answer. What is the difference between this procedure and just pressing the red button until all lights flash, thus putting the stb in native mode?

I am using the red button only technique, because my Sony rptv does a much better stretch of sd material than does the Voom stb. When I get an hd channel, the picture locks into 1080i; with any sd channel, it goes into 480i and I am able to use my Sony's wide mode button (which is disabled with a 1080i signal.)

And yes, once in 480i, the channel guide gets a bit fuzzy, and there is a two second or so delay before the picture locks whenever I change from hd to sd, or back again. But it sure is nice to be able to use the better stretch mode.

What is the advantage of using the Installers Menu technique over the red button technique?

Shelly

Shelly, here's the answer to your question from Jahbig's instructions:

"Using Native Resolution with the red STB button only, reverts back to 720p on HD channels when switching channels....using the 1080i red button in the Installer Menu Locks ALL channels in the 1080i resolution, so your SD channels are Stretched......These steps allow you to use Native resolution with the HD channels locked in at 1080i and the SD channels using whatever the Station Broadcaster is transmitting without the Stretch."

I don't think so. The red button allows for 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i, or native (all lights blinking), depending on how many times it is pressed. I don't think that it switches back to 720p if it is set to 1080i or native.

My Sony only displays 1080i unless it is receiving 720p and upconverting. But, in any case, just pressing the red button to get the native resolution results in (1) Voom channels coming in as 1080i and (2) all sd channels coming across as 480i, thus allowing for me to stretch or not stretch using the Sony's controls.

Otherwise, when all Voom channels are locked in at 1080i, the stretch is done by the Voom stb, and its stretch mode is not as natural.

So it works correctly for me just using the red button. Why go through the installer menu?

Are you saying that the Voom exclusive channels are 720p?

Shelly

Shelly's Answer.........

The Voom exclusive are in 1080i, what I'm saying is the STB by some flaw reverts
back to 720p when changing channels when Native mode is set using the STB
red manual button only. Using the menu's red colored 1080i button with the remote locks 1080i but stretches the SD channels.

Test: Manually set STB Native resolution...Set 1080i using red colored button with the remote control....press OK..... press OK again....IF the bottom left corner says "Press OK to set resolution at 720p"....then follow the steps...your STB converts to 720p when changing channels in Native mode. If not, you've pass with flying colors!

To get the HD channels to display in 1080i and the SD channels to display in 480i/480p without the stretch....As long as the bottom left corner says 1080i as you manually push the red STB button until you reach the all lights Native Mode....Press OK.....you'll get the most potential out of both your TV Display and the Voom STB.....

Ok, I did the test and it did show the 720p, as you indicated.

I pressed the red button on the remote, then the red button on the stb until all lights flashes, and then the ok button on the remote.

So I am now locked into 1080i for hd, and 480i for sd.

I changed hd channels and went back into the Installation Wizzard, and it indicated 1080i. I backed out.

So now I am set. Thank you very much for the clearer exsplanation and test that I could perrform.

Quite confusing at first, and strange to have the stb convert back to 720p. Is this a software glitch that is known to Voom?

Shelly

ok, I know this will make some cringe but I have a customer that wants no bars and wants everything stretched, local and SD channels. I am more in favor of OAR but he is not. What can we do to make the locals that are not stretched stretch? any info????

Thanks for the help

Jahbig said:
Using Native Resolution with the red STB button only, reverts back to 720p on HD channels when switching channels....using the 1080i red button in the Installer Menu Locks ALL channels in the 1080i resolution, so your SD channels are Stretched......

Here is where I disagree. I do not have stretched SD channels if I select 1080i. This is because I have set an option in the voom setup that makes the 4:3 content "pillarboxed" instead of "stretched". Am I missing something?

I was not aware that when watching "native" mode that I would not get 1080i. It is hard for me to tell as my tv upscales 720p content to 1080i anyway.

THANKS!
--Dan

gary in daytona said:
ok, I know this will make some cringe but I have a customer that wants no bars and wants everything stretched, local and SD channels. I am more in favor of OAR but he is not. What can we do to make the locals that are not stretched stretch? any info????

Thanks for the help
You aren't going to be able to do anything if the local is broadcasting the 4:3 with bars/pillars in 1080i or 720p unless his TV can manipulate the 1080i/720p signal. There are very view devices that can stretch 1080i/720p. The only one I know of is the Dish6000 (or something close to that, I can't remeber the exact model.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts