Tony Dungy doesn't want Rex Ryan to say Naughty Words

Bottom line is this:

I agree with: Tony being allowed to use any coaching style he wishes. Whether he cusses like a drunken sailor or has the cleanest mouth this side of the Vatican is none of my concern.

I don't agree with: Tony pushing for the league's Commissioner to crack down against coaches with foul language. To me, that's like a Vegan pushing their ways on a meat eater. In the end, it's a personal choice, so let it be.

Well put !

As much as I like Tony, it's not his job to tell another coach how to talk to his players.
Many players NEED to be yelled and to get motivated, others not.

I would like to hear what Tony's Colts had to say as far as his language goes.
I bet it wasn't all clean when he was in Minnesota and Tampa Bay. Particularly TB.

Bottom line is, Dungy should mind his own business. Claiming the moral high ground makes him look disingenous at the very least. Dungy clearly lives in a glass house and should NOT throw stones. :rolleyes:

Nobody is saying Dungy has to curse. He SHOULD NOT be telling another coach how to run his football team, and he SHOULD NOT be asking Roger Goodell to get involved in something even you agree is ridiculous.

Sandra

Then you might as well include every single sunday analyst on every single NFL pre-game an post game show because they tell coaches how to run their team all the time. How is he any different than them? The ONLY difference is that they don't go crying in public to get the commissioner of the league involved.

Do you have dirt on him that proves he is being disengeniune? He is know THROUGHTOUT the league as a moral, God-fearing man that has ALWAYS taken the high road.

Then you might as well include every single sunday analyst on every single NFL pre-game an post game show because they tell coaches how to run their team all the time. How is he any different than them? The ONLY difference is that they don't go crying in public to get the commissioner of the league involved.

Are we seriously comparing Dungy complaining about Rex Ryan's language in training camp to analysts talking about football games on pre-game and post-game shows? Talk about apples and oranges...that's what the analysts are THERE for!!!

'Gotta tell ya Bob, I did not like Pete Carroll's half-time adjustments, but I'm going to send Roger Goodell a little note to tell him how impressed I was with Pete's vocabulary!'

Sandra

He coached that way....and he won a Super Bowl. I am under assumption that maybe he is a firm believer of that you can coach a team to win WITHOUT profanity and screaming in your face approach. I am sure there have been a few coaches like.

And look who he learned under, maybe one of the most quietest coaches there is, Noll 4 Superbowls.

Although I do think if he is being a analyst during the interview or not he has no reason to call him out.

Are we seriously comparing Dungy complaining about Rex Ryan's language in training camp to analysts talking about football games on pre-game and post-game shows? Talk about apples and oranges...that's what the analysts are THERE for!!!

'Gotta tell ya Bob, I did not like Pete Carroll's half-time adjustments, but I'm going to send Roger Goodell a little note to tell him how impressed I was with Pete's vocabulary!'

Sandra

And you are serious questioning the moral integrity of someone that has taken the high ground more than most coaches just because he does not like the your team's head coaching style?:confused:

And you are serious questioning the moral integrity of someone that has taken the high ground more than most coaches just because he does not like the your team's head coaching style?:confused:

OK so you're not going to answer my question. But I'll answer yours.

I don't care if Dungy does not like my team's head coaching style...or any team's for that matter. I don't care what Dungy likes PERIOD. It's not about that, and he's entitled to his opinion just like anyone else.

It's about Dungy telling Roger Goodell that Goodell should make Rex Ryan more like Dungy. THAT'S WRONG.

Sandra

I'd only have a problem with this if this is how Rex behaved behind a podium talking to press or some other public function.

But he doesn't.

He's a professional football coach, not a PE teacher.

OK so you're not going to answer my question. But I'll answer yours.

It's about Dungy telling Roger Goodell that Goodell should make Rex Ryan more like Dungy. THAT'S WRONG.

Sandra

Gimme the question you asked and I will answer. And it's NOT wrong and you stated it perfectly... he's entitled to his opinion just like anyone else.

And that is exactly what it is....HIS opinion.

I'd only have a problem with this if this is how Rex behaved behind a podium talking to press or some other public function.

But he doesn't.

He's a professional football coach, not a PE teacher.

And I totally agree. I have not disagreed about any part of that. What I have disagreed on that now because he has made a stink of this, Dungy's moral integrity is being question....since when? And why? :confused:

Gimme the question you asked and I will answer. And it's NOT wrong and you stated it perfectly... he's entitled to his opinion just like anyone else.

And that is exactly what it is....HIS opinion.

...which he's trying to force on everyone else by saying Goodell should do something about Rex Ryan. One more time just to see if this registers...THAT'S the part that's WRONG.

Sandra

Last edited:
And I totally agree. I have not disagreed about any part of that. What I have disagreed on that now because he has made a stink of this, Dungy's moral integrity is being question....since when? And why? :confused:

Having not seen Hard Knocks but only reading reports about it he knows enough to come to some theoretical hiring decision? It's petty and a holier than thou attitude (and without getting political, reminds me of some of Jesse Jackson's inane comments, but Dungy has a lot more currency to burn to get to that level of fail and relevancy). That's why. He's suddenly the smart preppy girl at school who is in all AP classes leads the cheerleaders and is running for student body president. Can do no wrong and their opinion of others is intended to influence their followers.

I don't think his moral integrity is being questioned, I think his integrity in general is. I care a lot less about anything he has to say now, not just moral stuff.

Has Dungy said anything since then ?
Maybe he's realized he made a mistake talking to Goddell about someones language.
You would think if it was a BIG issue that more would be being reported, I have seen nothing about it since then, except here.

...which he's trying to force on everyone else by saying Goodell should do something about Rex Ryan. One more time just to see if this registers...THAT'S the part that's WRONG.

Sandra

And like I stated earlier....that is HIS opinion of what SHOULD BE done. There is no rule for or against it. That is why I made the comparison to TV analyst. They state coaches, the commissioner, the players, the rules committee "should do this....should do that" ALL the time.

And maybe my answer did not REGISTER with your choice of preferred answers.:rolleyes:

Having not seen Hard Knocks but only reading reports about it he knows enough to come to some theoretical hiring decision? It's petty and a holier than thou attitude (and without getting political, reminds me of some of Jesse Jackson's inane comments, but Dungy has a lot more currency to burn to get to that level of fail and relevancy). That's why. He's suddenly the smart preppy girl at school who is in all AP classes leads the cheerleaders and is running for student body president. Can do no wrong and their opinion of others is intended to influence their followers.

I don't think his moral integrity is being questioned, I think his integrity in general is. I care a lot less about anything he has to say now, not just moral stuff.

Stating that "he lives in glass houses and should not throw stones" IS questioning his moral integrity.

But I find it interesting how some(not you in particular) only pick the high ground when it suits them in here. One minute, people here make a big issue about how other athletes, coaches should be held to a higher moral standard....and here is Dungy, who has a higher moral integrity than most players and coaches COMBINED...is now questioned because he does not believe in swear and getting into people's face when it comes to coaching.

...but hey, maybe it's me...:rolleyes:

And like I stated earlier....that is HIS opinion of what SHOULD BE done. There is no rule for or against it. That is why I made the comparison to TV analyst. They state coaches, the commissioner, the players, the rules committee "should do this....should do that" ALL the time.

And maybe my answer did not REGISTER with your choice of preferred answers.:rolleyes:

We're just not on the same pager here but whatever. Thank goodness we don't have Phony Dungy deciding how everyone should run their team...and their life. :rolleyes:

Sandra