Touch

I guess I must be alone in thinking this show is not so hot. I found myself skipping forward obvious plot-points and lazy writing to fill some time. I am still in my "three show tryout period" since I consider the first two shows one episode. But somehow I do not find this show engaging and the story lines seem stale. Maybe its just me. I haven't seen this week's episode yet. Hopefully when I catch up I will have reason to change my mind.

I guess I must be alone in thinking this show is not so hot. I found myself skipping forward obvious plot-points and lazy writing to fill some time. I am still in my "three show tryout period" since I consider the first two shows one episode. But somehow I do not find this show engaging and the story lines seem stale. Maybe its just me. I haven't seen this week's episode yet. Hopefully when I catch up I will have reason to change my mind.

You're not alone. I have two co-workers who don't like the show for reasons you mentioned. There are some things that I really like about this show, but I also some things that need to improve...this week's story was kind of weak. Still, I really like Kiefer Sutherland.

I have only seen two episodes but I lives. Creative, innovative, fun. I hope it lasts.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Plus, the show has one other very important characteristic you can't quantify or qualify...likability. I simply like the main characters and care what happens to them. I have seen dozens of well-written, well-acted shows flail and die a quick death because viewers were indifferent toward the characters. A good example is Criminal Minds has been a hit show for the past seven seasons, while Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior crashed and burned after one season despite using the same writers and hiring notable actors. Folks just didn't give a rats fanny about the characters (i.e., not very likable).

Plus, the show has one other very important characteristic you can't quantify or qualify...likability. I simply like the main characters and care what happens to them. I have seen dozens of well-written, well-acted shows flail and die a quick death because viewers were indifferent toward the characters. A good example is Criminal Minds has been a hit show for the past seven seasons, while Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior crashed and burned after one season despite using the same writers and hiring notable actors. Folks just didn't give a rats fanny about the characters (i.e., not very likable).

Me too. And for me it has the beauty of having nothing to do with cops; I am so tired of one police show after another (I know you love Criminal minds, and I am not attacking that), I just am glad to find something interesting, and like-able that has zero to do with law enforcement. It is also wild seeing a vulnerable Kiefer Sutherland!

The jury is still out for me. I kinda like the show, but there's one thing about it that annoys the crap outta me. Kiefer bowing down, getting down on his knees, begging/whining/boohooing to his boy to show him the way. Anyway, just my humble opinion. :)

Well, the ratings continue to trend downward despite having AI as their lead in.

CBS: "Person of Interest" (13.47 million, 8.2/13)
ABC: "Grey's Anatomy" (8.08 million, 5.5/9)
FOX: "Touch" (7.45 million, 4.5/7)
NBC: "The Office" rerun (2.55 million, 1.7/3)/"Up All Night" (2.62 million, 1.7/3)
The CW: "The Secret Circle" rerun (823,000 million, 0.5/1)

Last edited:
Well, the ratings continue to trend downward despite having AI as their lead in.

CBS: "Person of Interest" (13.47 million, 8.2/13)
ABC: "Grey's Anatomy" (8.08 million, 5.5/9)
FOX: "Touch" (7.45 million, 4.5/7)
NBC: "The Office" rerun (2.55 million, 1.7/3)/"Up All Night" (2.62 million, 1.7/3)
The CW: "The Secret Circle" rerun (823,000 million, 0.5/1)
Of course they are. That is because my opinion of this show is an upward trend. :(

I loved the first two episodes...however, there's something "missing" from this show and I can't put my finger on it. Okay, let's take a stab at it:

1. Dad treats the kid with...well, pardon the expression, kid gloves. You cannot allow a kid to do things that will endanger himself or others.
2. The "let's wrap it all up within 60-minutes" format. The story behind the story (whatever that may be) is getting lost.
3. Why does every action seem to have an impact on someone in Iraq or Japan? This is too far-fetches and needs to be removed from further episodes.
4. Dad appears to have no life outside of tracking the whereabouts of his special kid (Special K)...need to expand the story to includes his personal life. The part about his wife who was killed on 9-11 isn't cutting it.
5. Special K being the narrator yet not speaking during the show is a bit annoying.
6. I'm not buying the Social Worker. Bring in another social worker who Martin is attracted to...yet he fights holding on to the memories of his dead wife. This move would certainly help personalize the characters, and introduce a little tension/conflict in a good way.
7. Special K needs to do something...anything to further his communication with Martin: blink, fart, move a finger, something!!!

Anyway, I know we're only four (4) shows into the series, but it needs to be "tweaked" to better define the story and characters.

I loved the first two episodes...however, there's something "missing" from this show and I can't put my finger on it. Okay, let's take a stab at it:

1. Dad treats the kid with...well, pardon the expression, kid gloves. You cannot allow a kid to do things that will endanger himself or others.
2. The "let's wrap it all up within 60-minutes" format. The story behind the story (whatever that may be) is getting lost.
3. Why does every action seem to have an impact on someone in Iraq or Japan? This is too far-fetches and needs to be removed from further episodes.
4. Dad appears to have no life outside of tracking the whereabouts of his special kid (Special K)...need to expand the story to includes his personal life. The part about his wife who was killed on 9-11 isn't cutting it.
5. Special K being the narrator yet not speaking during the show is a bit annoying.
6. I'm not buying the Social Worker. Bring in another social worker who Martin is attracted to...yet he fights holding on to the memories of his dead wife. This move would certainly help personalize the characters, and introduce a little tension/conflict in a good way.
7. Special K needs to do something...anything to further his communication with Martin: blink, fart, move a finger, something!!!

Anyway, I know we're only four (4) shows into the series, but it needs to be "tweaked" to better define the story and characters.
#3 has me baffled as well. I am hoping future episodes will bring some clarity to the connection.

I did not expect them to continue the thread of the Iraqi kid, or the Japanese girls. But then again, the whole thing is a bit of a stretch anyways -- and its all good fun. And coincidences that are never just coincidental.

Its just good entertaining, smart television. Not too much of it around.

Still absolutely loving this show. I do like the far off connections. I don't want it to turn into every other show.

S~

The more I think about it, the more I think I disagree with most of these critiques; not that they would not be valid in a traditional show, but I think in this show, a bit of suspension of "reality" is needed. I think having a kid like that would BE his WHOLE life; and I like the fact that its a bit mysterious and out there. It requires a bit of faith on the part of the viewer, and I am ok with that. And yeah, I have to suspend my rational self, but since tv is supposed to be an escape, that's ok. And Jake does communicate with Dad -- he does it through signs, written on paper in numbers, or numerical patterns that seem to show up. And push him in the right direction.

This is definitely one of my favorite shows on tv today.

And ultimately if I can get my wife to watch - and like - a show like this, it has to have something going for it.

Belief that everything and everyone is connected is not a new notion. A lot of sayings and beliefs that an action on one side of the planet can have an affect on the opposite side of the world. And no. I do not want the boy to speak and I do like the narrative at the beginning. It's like a window into how he thinks.

S~

It's a tight race in this timeslot. Regardless, I have no doubt this show will be returning next season. :)

ABC: "Grey's Anatomy" (8.84 million, 6.0/10)
CBS: "The Big Bang Theory" rerun (10.25 million, 6.3/10)/"2 Broke Girls" rerun (7.4 million, 4.6/7)
FOX: "Touch" (8.2 million, 5.1/8)
NBC: "The Office" (4.35 million, 2.6/4)/"Up All Night" season finale (3.2 million, 2.0/3)
The CW: "The Secret Circle" rerun (850,000, 0.5/1)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)