Trying to get back into KU FTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr. Sheep

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2018
United States
I tried to install a dish a while back and it felt like it was nearly impossible. Never got it done. What is the best multibeam dish that can get a large range? Or, is there something else I could use that grabs birds easier so I don't need to be as precise?

Sent from my SM-G955U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: spongella
What are you trying to tune? C-band? Ku band? Which satellites do you want to tune? You'll need to be more specific for us to be able to help you. What size dish did you try to install before?

What are you trying to tune? C-band? Ku band? Which satellites do you want to tune? You'll need to be more specific for us to be able to help you. What size dish did you try to install before?
Just Ku for now because C dishes seem expensive from what I'm seeing. I'd like to get AMC 21, SES 2, SES 3, Galaxy 18, and Galaxy 19. I tried to install a 30 inch dish previously.

Just Ku for now because C dishes seem expensive from what I'm seeing. I'd like to get AMC 21, SES 2, SES 3, Galaxy 18, and Galaxy 19. I tried to install a 30 inch dish previously.

You will need at least a 76cm dish for those satellites, except for maybe 97W. What difficulties did you have installing your 76cm dish?

Do not use a dish meant for multi lnb . they are made for strong signals only and will not pull a weak signal. Prime star, Hughes net, are great fta dishes,, free (craig"s list), and are made for a single lnb , 1.2 meter is the best all others will have dropouts in bad weather.

Mr. Sheep, perhaps you can find a friend that's into electronics, or good at hobbies like ham radio, or has interests in putting up tv antennas and such that can help you. Even if he's never actually done a dish install, between the two of you it's a real learning experience, and very useful "brain" info for future use.

There's so much info out on the internet to figure out how to do it, I really wish it had been around when I put together my first c-band dish in the mid '80's from a bunch of parts, and two magazine articles in Radio Electronics and Popular Electronics. Even just going through many threads and looking at the posted photo's can make all sorts of things become clearer.

Then you just try it yourself. Sure you'll make errors, maybe lots of them. But you'll learn, and make some changes, and get it right. There's a BIG feeling of accomplishment when you get to that point.

Keeping it all in one thread like this really helps both you and all of us to get you to that point.

Mr. Sheep, perhaps you can find a friend that's into electronics, or good at hobbies like ham radio, or has interests in putting up tv antennas and such that can help you. Even if he's never actually done a dish install, between the two of you it's a real learning experience, and very useful "brain" info for future use.

There's so much info out on the internet to figure out how to do it, I really wish it had been around when I put together my first c-band dish in the mid '80's from a bunch of parts, and two magazine articles in Radio Electronics and Popular Electronics. Even just going through many threads and looking at the posted photo's can make all sorts of things become clearer.

Then you just try it yourself. Sure you'll make errors, maybe lots of them. But you'll learn, and make some changes, and get it right. There's a BIG feeling of accomplishment when you get to that point.

Keeping it all in one thread like this really helps both you and all of us to get you to that point.

I second this. Don't give up! When I got back into the hobby a couple years ago, it took me a LONG time to get my Ku dish aimed. Lots of trial and error. But once you get it, you've got it :)

I use a 36 inch dish here with excellent results. Even a 30 inch is good as there are no obstacles at my location.To get the most enjoyment a motorized dish is the best approach, but I recommend you start with a stationary dish (without the motor) first, then when more experienced, add the motor. Your location and obstacles (trees, buildings) will also have an effect on what satellites you can receive.

You've come to the right place as there's oodles of experienced ops on this site. Good luck, have patience, and stick with reputable satellite dealers when purchasing equipment.

Reactions: raydio
I use a 36 inch dish here with excellent results. Even a 30 inch is good as there are no obstacles at my location.To get the most enjoyment a motorized dish is the best approach, but I recommend you start with a stationary dish (without the motor) first, then when more experienced, add the motor. Your location and obstacles (trees, buildings) will also have an effect on what satellites you can receive.

You've come to the right place as there's oodles of experienced ops on this site. Good luck, have patience, and stick with reputable satellite dealers when purchasing equipment.

HyperMegaSat.com USA - Free To Air FTA Satellite TV Equipment
Titanium Satellite - Store
Welcome to Michael Electronics
Ricks Satellite USA
This is "Phat Satellite" I've ordered from them multiple times, and had no issues: fta_express | eBay
This is Brian's (Titaniumsatellite) old company. Still good to order from:
Satellite AV, LLC - Satellite Broadcaster Support and Equipment Distribution
Good for other stuff also, including tv antenna stuff:
Solid Signal

There's others, but these are the most handy ones that'll treat you right. I have ordered from every one of them from time to time, and have never had any issues that weren't handled right, even warranty issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)