Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
The Sv 8K has a ATSC turner.

I was wondering is there a difference between a ATSC turner and a QAM tuner

If so what is the difference and is there a fta receiver with a QAM tuner

Thank you

Thanks

Still a little confused.
QAM tuners can be likened to the cable equivalent of an ATSC tuner which is required to receive over-the-air (OTA) digital channels

So I can't plug a cable tv into a atsc turner and receive the HD channels.

Thanks
Would be very cool if a fta receiver did have a qam/atsc turner

I need to upgrade my antenna since I have a cheap one that clips on my dish

and I loose signal sometimes which really makes me made.

I was wondering is there a difference between a ATSC turner and a QAM tuner

If so what is the difference ...

For our immediate purposes, it might aid understanding to switch to compatible terms. As in, ATSC is a specification, and QAM is a modulation. ATSC uses a modulation referred to as 8VSB. So asking about the differences between 8VSB and QAM might be more appropriate. (Equally possible, instead of modulation, we could ask the more general question of differences between ATSC tuners and cable tuners - of which modulation would be a component).

I'll stick with modulation. They are both variants of the more familiar AM, but similarities end there. It might be sufficient to say that there are large differences in the nature of the carriers and filtering necessary to extract the data. This is enough to conclude that they are distinctly imcompatible.

The DVICO FUSION cards will receive both ATSC and QAM (64-256). I have the HDTV5 USB GOLD box and it receives both OTA HDTV and cable. (does not receive satellite) My cable channels have however all encrypted.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)