Two homes with leased and owned receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

light200

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
is this possible without being accused of account stacking? The scenario would be I have a hopper and 2 joeys at my primary residence, and I have my owned VIP equipment receivers at my 2nd location. This way I dont have to hassle with unplugging everything each time I go on vacation....

Does this work or will I be asking for trouble?

Seems to me the question your asking is if your tailgating receiver can be permanently hooked up.

Yes

Since you call it "my 2nd location" and it's for when you "go on vacation", you should be okay. When you arrive at this place, call Dish and have your tailgater receiver(s) activated. When you leave, call them back to turn them off.

I wouldn't say yes quite answers it. I don't see how it conforms to the DISH contract as all equipment is supposed to be moved to whatever location you are using it at.
I have always seen this a two part question however. I just answered the first part, it could be considered account stacking. The second part, if you are using DISH only at one residence at a time with no one home to use it at the other, that is not account stacking actually taking plane.

I don't know that anyone knows how DISH is handling this aspect since allowing not only one but two 211 receivers on a Hopper account. Since the tailgator aspect would not be connected to a phone or the internet, it would be hard to insist they all be on the same phone or IP address, and hard for the Audit department to demand that if they call.

The advice Hall gave is the correct way to handle it, call and give your location when at your vacation home.

Dish will not allow you to do it. First of all, you do not want equipment active at two locations. Second, Dish will not allow you to activate Vip equipment other than a 211 on a Hopper account. You would have to have two separate accounts.

What I would do is just purchase a 211k or two and activate them at the second location when you stay there. When you are not there you can deactivate them. If you want DVR features then you can just add external hard drives to the 211k receivers. This should fit your needs and should be allowed by Dish without any issues.

Reactions: TheKrell
Scherrman....you're assumption of me "not wanting equipment active at 2 locations" is interesting...why would you assume that?

The goal would be for me to do nothing but turn the tv on and voila! I dont want to hassle with any moving of receivers, or calling in to dish everytime....blah blah blah....what a hassle. This hassle is of course just my opinion and wouldnt fit my lifestyle. just a personal thing.....

it sounds like there is no reason I couldnt have equipment active at both locations simultaneously right?

Scherrman....you're assumption of me "not wanting equipment active at 2 locations" is interesting...why would you assume that?

The goal would be for me to do nothing but turn the tv on and voila! I dont want to hassle with any moving of receivers, or calling in to dish everytime....blah blah blah....what a hassle. This hassle is of course just my opinion and wouldnt fit my lifestyle. just a personal thing.....

it sounds like there is no reason I couldnt have equipment active at both locations simultaneously right?

I'm not assuming that's what you want to do, I'm saying that's what you should do. Having equipment active at two locations for long term is what can get you into trouble and bring forth an audit. Going the route I suggested is more within Dish's rules and should avoid any future problems.

You can do whatever you want and may get away with it without any issues. I'm just giving you options and letting you know what you may run into knowing Dish's business rules the way I do.

Reactions: ChadT41
it seems like the big hurdle is that since I have other vip receivers besides a 211...they might not allow that on a hopper account...??? anyone know otherwise?

As for the hassle, you shouldn't have to move any receivers. You can leave them connected at the second location but just have them deactivated. All you would have to do is call or go online to activate and deactivate them when needed. You can have DIRT do it on here for you. It can also save you some money by having them deactivated.

I'm not sure how often you will be back and forth between these properties so this may not be feasible.

frequency could be every weekend realistically...thats why I say calling or even visiting a website is not an option for me.

it seems like the big hurdle is that since I have other vip receivers besides a 211...they might not allow that on a hopper account...??? anyone know otherwise?

It is not allowed do to Dish's business rules but I do know that some people have been able to work around this. You would have to find a very helpful Dish agent to make this happen.

frequency could be every weekend realistically...thats why I say calling or even visiting a website is not an option for me.

Well you wouldn't have to deactivate every time you leave. If you know you wouldn't be there for a couple month it would be a good idea to deactivate them. I myself have a 211z on my Hopper account that I use for tailgating and using at other random places. I keep it activated for about 4-5 months and then deactivate it.

I was curious: How does it work with a "tailgater" receiver as far as activation goes ? It sounds like you do NOT have to have it activated and deactivated as you want to use it. If that's the case, leave it at the other location permanently. Problem is, if the audit police call, explaining that the 211 is "out in the garage" when Dish can see that it's online will present a big problem. Otherwise, you'd have to pull the power to it when you leave the other location and if you leave it unplugged too long, Dish will deactivate it for you....

I don't think that unplugging it for a week, two weeks, possibly even a month would cause it to deactivate. It would, however prevent audit issues.

Unplugging it for that long would just cause it to lose it's programming and become, "dumb."
As long as it's still activated, it will download everything it needs when replugged. The question is, will it remain activated?

As long as it's still activated, it will download everything it needs when replugged. The question is, will it remain activated?

That's not true. I've had my receiver activated and unplugged for a few weeks and when I plugged it back in it had none of my programming. I've had to call into Dish to have a hit sent to it. It may have the current software but it did not have my programming.

Okay, so it would need a hit, which could potentially be harder to achieve through typical CSRs than simply deactivating and reactivating as needed. It would also be more costly. If it were me, I would deactivate/reactivate as needed. Not only because it would be cheaper, but easier, other than having to make two phone calls rather than one. Each phone call (or online chat) would be quicker than a rehit call.

Okay, so it would need a hit, which could potentially be harder to achieve through typical CSRs than simply deactivating and reactivating as needed. It would also be more costly. If it were me, I would deactivate/reactivate as needed. Not only because it would be cheaper, but easier, other than having to make two phone calls rather than one. Each phone call (or online chat) would be quicker than a rehit call.

If he plans things out it really wouldn't be a huge deal. He can just send a private message to DIRT with the receiver info and tell them he wants it activated before he leaves for the other property. It's possible they may have it activated by the time he gets there. Then when he wants to deactivate it he can just send another message to DIRT whenever he wants.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts