Two Slings & Two Hoppers

eddwall

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
One sling works great on the main Hopper. (Ethernet connection)

The second sling is not working or recognized in Dish online. It will connect at all. It is installed on 2nd Hopper.

I was told the two Hopper system only needed one Ethernet connection for the whole H/J system. That all Hoppers & Joeys would see the one connection.

Do I need to install another Ethernet connection on the Hopper #2 ??

One sling works great on the main Hopper. (Ethernet connection)

The second sling is not working or recognized in Dish online. It will connect at all. It is installed on 2nd Hopper.

I was told the two Hopper system only needed one Ethernet connection for the whole H/J system. That all Hoppers & Joeys would see the one connection.

Do I need to install another Ethernet connection on the Hopper #2 ??

Wouldn't a Hopper Internet Connection device work to connect both Hoppers to the internet? The 2 Hoppers can't even communicate with each other right now because the software doesn't allow it,wouldn't it be easier to get a H.I.C. & connect it to your router with its internet connection & both of your Hoppers would show up as connected to broadband that way through the coaxial cable?

Huh.....so does this mean that only the Joeys that are linked to the Hopper with Ethernet will be able to use the broadband connection.

The "Broadband" situation with the hoppers is interesting.

When you press the blue button your remote, hit broadband, and then select MoCA from the menu drop down, you can see if the device acquires a broadband connection from the MoCA netowrk. I have one hopper connected to the internet via ethernet while the others are not. The broadband connected receiver sees the internet just fine but the others will not pick up the internet under the MoCA option.

My thinking is that this is either a feature that will work with future software releases or there is some internet connector you can buy from Dish that connects to both the MoCA cable network and your internet that allows all of the Hoppers/Joeys to connect to the internet without ethernet or the wireless adapter.

As far as the OP's problem - your second sling is not connecting to the internet because the receiver is not connected to the internet. You'll need to either connect it to ethernet, connect the wireless dongle, or figure out how broadband over MoCA works.

EDIT:

Looks like I was right - if you login to your dish account at dish.com and select "Order from Store," you can buy the Hopper Internet Connector for $25. This should get all of your hoppers and joeys on the internet without running new ethernet or using the wireless dongle.

One question I have is how the receivers appear on the LAN. Do they all get their own IP address? Or does the Hopper Internet Connector simply relay traffic through the MoCA network and only appear as one IP on the LAN? If it's the later, how would that work with the Sling? Don't you need separate IPs for it to be routed correctly?

Last edited:
Wouldn't a Hopper Internet Connection device work to connect both Hoppers to the internet? The 2 Hoppers can't even communicate with each other right now because the software doesn't allow it,wouldn't it be easier to get a H.I.C. & connect it to your router with its internet connection & both of your Hoppers would show up as connected to broadband that way through the coaxial cable?

The "Broadband" situation with the hoppers is interesting.

When you press the blue button your remote, hit broadband, and then select MoCA from the menu drop down, you can see if the device acquires a broadband connection from the MoCA netowrk. I have one hopper connected to the internet via ethernet while the others are not. The broadband connected receiver sees the internet just fine but the others will not pick up the internet under the MoCA option.

My thinking is that this is either a feature that will work with future software releases or there is some internet connector you can buy from Dish that connects to both the MoCA cable network and your internet that allows all of the Hoppers/Joeys to connect to the internet without ethernet or the wireless adapter.

As far as the OP's problem - your second sling is not connecting to the internet because the receiver is not connected to the internet. You'll need to either connect it to ethernet, connect the wireless dongle, or figure out how broadband over MoCA works.

That's pretty much what I just said DISH Network ES190149 Internet Connector (ES190149) from Solid Signal . Wouldn't this work to connect both Hoppers to the internet?

Has anyone tried to connect to the hopper via the sling adapter from an iPad? I can access and view the DVD, but when I try to watch something it says the receiver is not supported. Alternatively I tried on my iPhone and it works, however it seems to only connect to one tuner and does not allow me to change what was on that tuner (ie watch a recorded event). Anyone else noticing these quarks or see a way around them?

I can verify that one HIC will connect everything on a 2 Hopper system to the internet, I used one on Thur and both Hoppers and 4 Joeys all had a MOCA IP address.

I can verify that one HIC will connect everything on a 2 Hopper system to the internet, I used one on Thur and both Hoppers and 4 Joeys all had a MOCA IP address.
How well did just hardwiring ethernet to one hopper in a two hopper system work without an HIC?

I thought that should work as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)