Upconvert DVD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
I buddy bought a up-convert DVD player to replace his standard s-video only player. The one he bought have a region and component out hacks that were confirmed.

He can now play non US DVDs. How can he test, or determine the component out resolution? Thank you.

care to share the model? Is it a samsung?

I have a JVC that that if you hold the STOP, PLAY buttons while powering on it removes the region code and it has component out also.

But as for the question, I would assume you could probably check it on a PC if you can't find a TV set that will tell you what is coming. But on a PC, you would probably need and analog to digital converter to accept into the PC.

Last edited:
Ah sorry: the LG LDA-511 stand alone / table top model (not PC based), he has the hacks entered and has confirmed the no region easy, but how can he tell if the component hack took? And how can he tell what resolution? Is that is inside a DVD menu option?

Thanks.

I was also going to ask about the LG. It seems that model is one of the few left that I have seen locally that can still be hacked for component. All the others are now online only around me, samsung changed all their models out locally and the new ones don't seem to respond to the know tricks.

Well, my tv will tell me what is coming in (video stream resolution, data/sec, and my dvd player will tell me what it is outputting), but if yours/his won't then I would have to believe some sort of video capture to a PC to check it that way, similar to how they were checking the Voom channels.

OK, I have mentioned looking for some sort of "display" or "on screen" feature for the player, but he has not got back to me yet.

Thanks!

Thats where he got his ifo, I will have him double check. The issue is not knowing the hacks or entering them, but how to verify the component upconvert hack is working.

OK, got the report back:

100% NO region code.

Upconverts via CMPT: He had to go into the DVD menu after the component hack and BOOM, set the output to 720p or 1080i.

Has built-in 7-1 media card reader.

Plays all formats.

Yep, and come to find out in my research to help him, the LG DVB-418 is 99.5% the same as that LDA-511. Wider release, maybe just a bit earlier season wise. The only spec differences I could see was the DVB-418 looses the xD card from its media reader, but it has a better DAC and a tray loader as opposed to the vacuum loader. I went ahead and bought 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)