Upgrade Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kadex

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
White Pigeon, MI
First would like to say hello to everyone. Only second post but have been lurking for awhile. Been a long time customer with D and am finally going to upgrade to HD with the HR10-250 DVR. I'm currently running the oval 1 LNB with an old Sony Sat-B2.

The current location of the dish is through a couple of trees but I'm still getting good signal (pole mounted by the way). I'm considering moving to another location, it's not totally open there are still a couple of branches in the way. I assume the new dishes will need a wider view to hit more sats? Also, on my order it states the 3LNB. I understand the AT9 uses a 2" pole. I want to get the pole all set for the installer. If I use a 2" pole for the AT9 but I end up with the 3LNB will it fit?

Don't want to do all the work to find out it won't work. Or should I just play it safe and let the installer do it? I know he'll charge for the extra work which is fine. Any opinions are welcome.

The Phase III dish uses a 1.5 inch diameter pole, and will not fit on the 2" pole for the AT9. If you want to be future proofed though, you can always set the 2+ pole, and have the technician slide the 1.5 inch pole inside your 2", and use self tapping sheet metal screws to hold it in place.

Later you can just remove the screws and slide the smaller pole out.

Possibly not the best solution, but with 5 or so screws the smaller pole won't go anywhere.

Originally Posted by The Tate
You should get an AT9. Directv states all new HD installs receive AT9 antennas.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
grydlok,
Yes it is true, that was thier objective several months back, like Febuary, they may have changed thier ideas, but that is what was suppose to happen.
I would imagine they thought about it and said :
If we do that, "what will we do with the stock pile of 3 lnb dishes we currently have" and probably changed thier minds according to what thier suppliers had in stock.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Originally Posted by The Tate
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
grydlok,
Yes it is true, that was thier objective several months back, like Febuary, they may have changed thier ideas, but that is what was suppose to happen.
I would imagine they thought about it and said :
If we do that, "what will we do with the stock pile of 3 lnb dishes we currently have" and probably changed thier minds according to what thier suppliers had in stock.

Jimbo
That was only for HD IRD(H20), IF the workorder doesn't have a KAKU dish on it you don't get it reguardless of how many people says it. It what's on the order that gets installed.

The Tate said:
all of our HD orders have AT9's on them. even the dvr's

That what I am saying aslong as it is on the order it gets installed. The workorder are generated by D* or Verizon, not the installing company or contractors. People kill me when they make a blanket statement. I have a HD dvr upgrade without a KAKU dish again today. They will not get the dish,.

The Tate said:

This is only true if the customer does not have the 18" Oval Triple-Sat Antenna. I know I am an Installer. HDTV can be recieved by the customer by either the Oval or the new Mutli-Sat Ant. If the customer already has a Triple Sat Ant. he/she may or may not receive the new Ka/Ku Ant.

If they have the Round Ant then yes odds are you will receive the new Ka/Ku Ant.

grydlok said:
That what I am saying aslong as it is on the order it gets installed. The workorder are generated by D* or Verizon, not the installing company or contractors. People kill me when they make a blanket statement. I have a HD dvr upgrade without a KAKU dish again today. They will not get the dish,.

Actually... DirecTV generates all workorders for Installs... That's a contract issue. Any company that makes a sale or whatnot has to call a specific phone number to request the WO be generated by Direct TV... THEY put the Ka/Ku Ant on the WO.

And yes... No Ka/Ku Ant on the WO you are not gonna get one on the Job Site... besides.. those things are heavy and take extra time to install.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but how do I know which Dish I have. My install was at the end of April.

Thanks

Carl

Wow, got a bit of conflicting info. To me it would make sense to just install the AT9. The reasoning I came up with is as far as I know I'm in an area for the next HD Locals (Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo). As I said, just my thoughts and I realize some of you are installers. I'm thinking I'll just hope to get a good installer and let him figure what to do. Heck, I might get the right pole but end up in a bad location.
To the installers, Is it a big inconvenience having to do pole installs?

I just went throught the HD upgrade with D*. According to D* if you order a HR10-250 you get a 3LNB dish. I was told that the order system will not allow them to switch the dish on the order for the HR10-250. In order for me to get a AT9 with my HR10-250, I had to order the H20. Fortunately they gave me both for free.

I think We should look at this 3-5 LNB situation differently.
D* apparently has changed thier ideas again, imagine that :rolleyes:

Lets look at it this way, IF you are getting a MPEG 4 capable receiver you WILL get the new 5 LNB dish.

Back in February, thier plan was to push the new dish to get it to the public, of course that would be limited to the new MPEG 4 market areas.

Jimbo

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=54604

Scott Greczkowski said:
Something is up at DirecTV, this morning I got a call from one of my inside contacts telling them they will soon be releasing a fax to all dealers telling them as of February 5th all new HD installs require the installation of the new AT9 5 LNB Dish (and it does not matter where the customer is and it also it does not matter if HD locals are available to the customer or not)

My guess is soon they will announce some new national HD however it will only be available via the AT9 Dish.

VettePilot said:
A friend of mine recently called DirecTV and ordered the HR10-250 and is scheduled to have it installed this Friday (Feb 3rd) and the Sales person at DirecTV told him they would install the new AT9 5 LNB dish as well :up

They stated that DirecTV would upgrade him to the new HD-DVR (for free) when it was released. They also told him that DirecTV will have 150 HD channels by the end of this year :rolleyes:

They said they will charge him $599 before the $200 mail in rebate. He is supposed to call DirecTV later today to verify the details with them because I am considering doing the same thing in a week or two before the rebate expires.

I would wait for the new HD-DVR to be released but not all of the locals here in Dallas are being broadcast in HD over the dish so I have decided to go with the HR10-250 instead and get the HD locals over the air :mad:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=68581

shadyB said:
Any swap out of an HR10-250 for an MPEG-4 capable HD DVR will not occur until November. The word is all D* customers will be eligable for this swap out.

Rocko Willis said:
Actually... DirecTV generates all workorders for Installs... That's a contract issue. Any company that makes a sale or whatnot has to call a specific phone number to request the WO be generated by Direct TV... THEY put the Ka/Ku Ant on the WO.

They have a website for that. A retailer does not have to call any number, if so Directv would receive thousands of useless calls per day.

A retailer generates their own work orders.

The Tate said:
If they are going to do a swap out it would make sense to give them an AT9.

Tate it's simple answer on this, the wrong information was passed on. The only HD installs that require a KAKU dish is the H20. If somebody asked for the AT9 on a non H20 workorder it's up to direct tv to make sure it's on the order. If it's not on the order you won't get it. I done a few HD Dvr's with an KAKU dish on the order and it's gets installed. The wrong infor get spread around too quick and too many times I been on a job sub gets s@# with me over not getting the dish when it's not on the order, just because somebody online said they where supposed to get it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)