upgrade responsibility

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TonyH

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
WV
I went out to do a one box, d11, upgrade. Customer had 3 boxes so this one made 4. I ran the new line, hooked up the box and activated it. Then the customer tells me his TV upstairs is searching for sat. I check it out and sure enough it is searching. After a reboot I start checking the cable. I started from the TV and worked backwards since all I did was add a new line. I traced it to the basement and found a white coax connected via a barrel to the standard black cable. The customer then informs me that the box that is searching for signal is also driving a second TV in the bedroom. I was pissed to say the least and I informed him that he cant have a splitter in the line. The customer stated he didn't have a problem until I connected the new box. Is he telling the truth? Will adding a 4th box cause the search for sat to appear? Also, was it my responsibility to fix his problem? I didn't since I suspected he was not telling me the truth and I was not there for a service call. The problem is easily fixed by running a new line from the dish and connecting to the black cable after disconnecting the white cable. But again I was pissed.

the searching for sat signal box was driving a second tv......so ? a slave line doesnt interfere with sat signal. it would be driven off of the out to tv port.

BTW are you HSP , MSP or INDEPENDENT??

the line in was split... good point though... I know you can hook up a slave unit... but I also know the line was split somewhere... he said the bedroom TV has not woked in a while... I think when they finished their basement the split the line in... rather then making it a slave unit.... but he said the main TV was working until I hooked the 4th unit up.

i had that happen so many time. from now on i get to the house i check all TV and if i see something wrong i point it out and put it on paper work and have costumer initials there before i start job. some people trying to get free stuff out of tech.

so my suggestion do the same thing before starting your job

could it have been working with the splitter until I connected the last box?

I would have called the call center and opened up a service call on the job and got payed or I wouldn't have touched it. Simple as that. In this business you can't let yourself started doing work for free. They have down graded our pay from the beginning so don't let your self be treated for a fool. The sad thing about it is we all know that the guy was lying and if he would have been kind enough to ASK to help him out and if he would have gave you a small tip or something nice like that I'm sure you wouldn't have minded. I know a guy that was doing a four box install and when he got done and was getting the guy to sign the paper work the guy said that he wanted to have two slave lines ran to two different rooms also. The tech stated that it would cost x amount of dollors and that guy said oh hell no. He said that he wasn't going to sign the paper work if the tech didn't run the lines. The tech simply called our office and noted it on the computer and on his paper work and left and got payed for the job. There have many people that would back down and do the work but I know I wouldn't have. I don't give a damn if I wouldn't have got paid and would have had to take the whole damn thing back out. It would have been fine with me to know that I didn't get treated like a bitch. Thats just how I look at it I'm sure other people would do different.

TonyH said:
could it have been working with the splitter until I connected the last box?

I think it would work but only one side, even channels or odd, depending on what the other receiver was on .....

I've had people try this and say , Yaeh it works, till they try to change channels, then they call me back and I locate the splitter and disconnect .

Jimbo

correct... had he been up front I would have maybe helped a bit... in your scenaro I would have pulled the units if I had not activated them yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)