Upper Midwest Rain Now At My Door

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'd been keeping up with Fred's worries and concerns since last week.
Every day, I'd check his status on the forum to see if he'd logged in today, or maybe he was washed away! - :eek:
Every once in a while, I'd email him and wish him well.
Glad to see this thread so others can get an up-close view of the threat at the doorstep of one of our brothers.

Now, on to lighter matters . . .

Those tall masts with the microwave antenna at the top, are for direct horizontal link to whatever mountain may be near your local TV stations.
No satellite required.

This is a good opportunity to get to know the drivers.
I suggest you get your son to man the camcorder, you take the mic, and go interview some of the guys.
I'll bet you could get a tour of some of the vans.!
Tell them your a field agent for the forum here, and show 'em your roof.
I'll bet once they know they're talking to someone with a clue, you'll get the red carpet!
It'll get your mind off the problems, and you can get some great material for SatGuys! - :up

Make friends with 'em. Take 'em some cookies.
Sell SatGuys, and maybe some of 'em will become members.
We could use more good guys like 'em.

I'd been keeping up with Fred's worries and concerns since last week.
Every day, I'd check his status on the forum to see if he'd logged in today, or maybe he was washed away! - :eek:
Every once in a while, I'd email him and wish him well.
Glad to see this thread so others can get an up-close view of the threat at the doorstep of one of our brothers.

Now, on to lighter matters . . .

Those tall masts with the microwave antenna at the top, are for direct horizontal link to whatever mountain may be near your local TV stations.
No satellite required.

This is a good opportunity to get to know the drivers.
I suggest you get your son to man the camcorder, you take the mic, and go interview some of the guys.
I'll bet you could get a tour of some of the vans.!
Tell them your a field agent for the forum here, and show 'em your roof.
I'll bet once they know they're talking to someone with a clue, you'll get the red carpet!
It'll get your mind off the problems, and you can get some great material for SatGuys! - :up

Make friends with 'em. Take 'em some cookies.
Sell SatGuys, and maybe some of 'em will become members.
We could use more good guys like 'em.

The camcorder is a good idea if I owned one. I can get about 5 minutes of video with my ordinary camera which might be enough for an interview.

I'll see what I can work out tomorrow. :D

Water protection

I pray that you and your family are protected from floods and water damage.
Here in southern Ontario Canada we dont have many threats from flooding but my wife is from Holland and she has lived with this type of thing most of her life. Stay safe and follow your instincts. Listen to your senses rather than your piers when it comes to safety of your family and your business. At the worst you may be wrong about moving things out, at the best, you will be safe. I pray for your safety.

I pray that you and your family are protected from floods and water damage.
Here in southern Ontario Canada we dont have many threats from flooding but my wife is from Holland and she has lived with this type of thing most of her life. Stay safe and follow your instincts. Listen to your senses rather than your piers when it comes to safety of your family and your business. At the worst you may be wrong about moving things out, at the best, you will be safe. I pray for your safety.

Thank all of you for your kind thoughts and prayers!

Always wondered why he had put all those dishes on top of a building (not just because he HAS a building lol) Hang in there linuxman, sounds like you are experienced in river-life so I know you will do the right things to protect your family and property. Will pray some of that rain moves down here as we are in dry-mode again right now, though it's nothing like last years drought.

The camcorder is a good idea if I owned one.
I can get about 5 minutes of video with my ordinary camera which might be enough for an interview.

I'll see what I can work out tomorrow. :D
Well, a bunch of cool still pix would certainly be nice, instead.
Maybe take a tape recorder so you don't have to take notes.
Give the guys a nice write-up for their hard work.

As for staying dry and safe, I'm convinced your survival instincts are already on alert.
So, I'm confident you'll be fine. - :up

Linuxman, its better to be safe and move your equipment to higher ground, regardless of whether or not it ends up being necessary. I learned this from Katrina. Unfortunately, in my case, I thought the entire house would be destroyed, and spent valuable time and car space trying to save the most expensive equipment rather than simply raising it higher on shelves. Had I known that we'd only get 18 inches of water in the house, I would have left everything there, but spent my precious time moving things up higher.

This water will make it down river to New Orleans, and I can see them opening the Bonnet Carre Spillway again (The spillway is a wide area of woods and swampland west of New Orleans that is connected to the Mississippi River on one end by gates that can be raised and to Lake Pontchartrain on the other end). They've already opened it once this year, first time in many years.

Keep in mind that our little town is about a little over a mile from the main river, and it is right beside a tributary called the Cuivre River.

Our little town is only about 5 blocks by 5 blocks square.

Was looking for a birds eye view of the river from one of those online satelllite views.......

Hey I think I found your building and dishes.

That is if you live in OLD - - - - - -

of course I could be wrong since the satellite picture isn't very detailed .

Hey Tron,

Sorry to make you have to open the spillways, but now there is more water coming. Don't know what the effects will be yet, but they had incredible rainfall amounts in Southern Iowa, NorthEast Missouri and West Central Illinois over night. I saw on the news 6, 8 and 10 inch rainfall amounts over a widespread area. That water will be here in a few days down the Mississippi.

Looks like you found it Jayelem.

I'll have to take a look, but the last time I used Google Earth, the dishes didn't show up on the building yet. :)

Hey Fred, sorry to be sending all of that water your way. But we're glad to be able to drive out of our town here - and not have to drive 2 hours round trip just to get to the neighboring community that is less than 10 miles away ;)

I snapped a rather cruddy quality picture (with my cell phone) of a Red Cross truck with a satellite dish on the top that is parked about 1 block from my home. I spotted it on the way back from lunch today, and thought I'd share my flood relief satellite truck pictures with you all as well.

Attachments

• img021.jpg
    img021.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 140
Hey Lumpkin666,
Hey Fred, sorry to be sending all of that water your way.
You guys can turn off the spigot any time now. :)

Geesh! You would think people would remember to turn off the hose when they are watering their lawn. :D

Seriously, I never thought I would wish for a dry season, but I think it might be time for a 2 or 3 week no rain forecast for here or any where North of here. :)

I just want you to know Fred that my prayers are with you and for your town. Not only for your area but for all the states that have been effected with so much rain, flooding and the massive loss of homes, belongings and life. Also prayers go out to the Farmers who are losing their crops. The small business’s who are losing their livelihood, may got reach down and touch each and everyone and bless them. I pray that all the rain that have been making their mark in the mid west be diverted out west where there is draught and forest fires out in California. May God bless them too. My heart goes out to you and your town Fred and to all who are in need May God give them the Strength to survive and bless them opportunities to rebuild and to prosper.

Let us know of your conditions as time goes by.

Tom

Take care of you and yours, Mr. S, I wish you all the best. We are almost 20 inches ahead on rain already this year here in the Ozarks.

I lived in a 2 room, 2 story house on a creek for several years, woke up one morning and the water was almost to the ceiling downstairs....and the electricity was still on! :eek:

Take care of you and yours, Mr. S, I wish you all the best. We are almost 20 inches ahead on rain already this year here in the Ozarks.

I lived in a 2 room, 2 story house on a creek for several years, woke up one morning and the water was almost to the ceiling downstairs....and the electricity was still on! :eek:
My thoughts and prayers goes to you as well phlatwound. Keep us informed of any situations your way as well. Which I could do more, however I am praying for all who are caught up in the heavy rainfall that has been happening in the mid west.

Thanks Phlatwound!

We have been way ahead on rainfall all spring too, and have already had one river rise this year that got pretty high, and I was hoping it was all over until the 20 inches of rain fell in Iowa.

So far we are holding, but they keep extending the crest out a day at a time while they add a few extra inches of depth each day. :eek:

YEP - that is it! Have you seen the FEMA "RVs" yet? They have a HUGH dish atop theirs.

Hey Fred, sorry to be sending all of that water your way. But we're glad to be able to drive out of our town here - and not have to drive 2 hours round trip just to get to the neighboring community that is less than 10 miles away ;)

I snapped a rather cruddy quality picture (with my cell phone) of a Red Cross truck with a satellite dish on the top that is parked about 1 block from my home. I spotted it on the way back from lunch today, and thought I'd share my flood relief satellite truck pictures with you all as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.