Upper Midwest Rain Now At My Door

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well as you probably have already heard on the news, the Pin Oak levee that was protecting the houses I mentioned in an earlier post are now going under water.

The levees around our town are the last remaining levees in Eastern Lincoln County that are still holding. The break should not affect us more than we are already. The water here is already at river level. The ground that is being flooded now is simply leveling out to catch up to where our water level already is.

The forecast has expected heavy rain here and North of here today and tonight, then a cool front will pass through and hopefully some drier weather for at least a week.

We are still dry and hopefully will stay that way.

Will keep you updated. :)

I drove over to the Cuivre Levee at about 8:15 this morning and was asked for an interview being a resident and business owner in our town, so I was interviewed live on KTVI, our St. Louis Fox affiliate for about 60 seconds. The truck was a direct to tower transmission so it didn't go to satellite, and was only for our local broadcast.

After the interview, they did ask about my dishes which they could see from where we were, so I told them briefly about Free and Legal TV . One of the Sherrif's deputies that was going door to door telling people about the voluntary evacuation also asked about my dishes. He used to install big dishes when he was in high school, so we talked a good while about FTA.

I told him that most of the big dishes could be had free if you are willing to work for them. He also mentioned the non-pen mount on the parking lot waiting for me to put up my test dish. He asked if that was free too. I told him yes and where I got it. He couldn't believe it and mentioned that that mount cost $500.00 when new. He wants to come back when the emergency is over and see my setup. :)

Fred, did you think to ask the KTVI crew if they had any parts or dishes at the station that were headed for the junk bin?
I generally drive by 3 of our local stations when I'm Downtown, and the Fox had a 12' mesh on a NPM at the sidewalk. Last time I went by, it was gone. I wish I had stopped and ask about it, I had noticed it didn't have any wiring going to it, at least none I could see....??
Too late now.... maybe some other local FTA'er got it..?

Fred, did you think to ask the KTVI crew if they had any parts or dishes at the station that were headed for the junk bin?
I generally drive by 3 of our local stations when I'm Downtown, and the Fox had a 12' mesh on a NPM at the sidewalk. Last time I went by, it was gone. I wish I had stopped and ask about it, I had noticed it didn't have any wiring going to it, at least none I could see....??
Too late now.... maybe some other local FTA'er got it..?

Hey Al,

Unfortunately I didn't think to ask, but will try and remember if they come around again which I am sure they will.

BTW, you can watch the interview on myfoxstl.com if you want to hunt around for it. I don't know if I should post the direct link here. :)

Sounds like you've made a new friend.
I used to have a local Police officer from my city, drop by in his patrol car from time to time.
He couldn't come in, as he was on duty, but I'd go out and sit in the car for a visit.
Probably freaked out the neighbors, but being 9 or 10pm at night, most didn't notice.
It was that pounding on my door with his flashlight that always startled me, though! - :eek:
He was a buddy from the local HAM club.! :)

As I was reading your last post, and beginning to worry about ya, I wondered about the new Post Office.
What are THEY doing to protect their investment?
I assume they've not opened their doors yet?
Oh, and did they want roof space for a two-way satellite link? :rolleyes:

Hey Anole,
As I was reading your last post, and beginning to worry about ya, I wondered about the new Post Office.
What are THEY doing to protect their investment?
I assume they've not opened their doors yet?
Oh, and did they want roof space for a two-way satellite link?
The post office began operations on the 14th and don't seem to be too concerned about the possible flood.

I need to get my mind back on satellite and remember to ask these questions when I am talking to the TV people. I must be getting old and distracted to have the good stuff slip out of my mind. :)

It is always good to have friends in law enforcement :)

You are so right Larry!

It is good to have friends in all walks of life.

It is because of our friends that most of our stuff is now safe on high ground. We didn't ask for help to move our stuff, but when our friends found out we needed help, the just showed up with vehicles and manpower to get it done.

It will be the same way when we move back in. They will just come and help.

I have always said that 95% of the people I have ever met during my life have become my friends. The other 5% are too stupid to be friends with anyone. :)

I have always said that 95% of the people I have ever met during my life have become my friends. The other 5% are too stupid to be friends with anyone. :)

BWHAAAAAA-HAHAHAHAAA

Well, on my street, those 5% are friends with each other.
Birds of a feather sort of thing.

This has been an interesting thread. Linuxman, Thanks for sharing your story and photos. I hope you stay dry!

Hey Fred, I'm finally getting some Rain.... don't know if it's any of yours or not? It's raining so hard right now the ku dishes and my Dish Network have lost the signal. Times like this makes me proud to be a BUD owner..!!!
I don't care for this lightning though, so I've pulled the plug on everything, till it tones down some....

Hey Fred, I'm finally getting some Rain.... don't know if it's any of yours or not? It's raining so hard right now the ku dishes and my Dish Network have lost the signal. Times like this makes me proud to be a BUD owner..!!!
I don't care for this lightning though, so I've pulled the plug on everything, till it tones down some....

I am glad you are getting some rain instead of us Al! :)

Well a couple of things happened here in the last 24 hours.

The Pin Oak levee which I said broke yesterday morning early has as it's southern side to our North about 2 miles from here. The levee actually broke through on it's Southeastern most corner which put the break about 2 miles from the 100 or so houses on the Northwest corner of the land the levee protects.

The National Guard along with a huge amount of volunteers began erecting a sand-bag/barricade levee directly South of the houses from high ground on the West to the Pin Oak on the East to a part that was still good. It is 6 feet tall, and about 5 feet wide. It went up in less than 10 hours and as far as I know is still holding. So those 100 houses are still in the dry. :)

Second thing was that none of the heavy rain that was forecast for here and North of here yesterday and last night made it this far East. It all fell a hundred miles to our West and moved on into SE Missouri. Consequently, the river has crested here last night and has actually started falling. It fell about 3 or 4 inches today.

The engineers now believe that there were Muskrat holes that caused the Pin Oak levee to break. It doesn't take much of a hole if the water starts coming through with that much pressure behind it.

At any rate, with a little more sunshine and no rain, we should be out of danger in 2 to 3 weeks. :D

Thanks to all for your prayers and thoughts!

Hey Al, maybe what you were getting is what we have had Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Was cutting down trees in my backyard so I would have a better and clearer line of sight Wednesday when it started storming and with lightening strikes. It was clear today. I’m going to clear more trees tomorrow. We need the rain just not the extreme as what Fred and others is getting in the mid west. Still my prayers are that the rains be sent to California, Arizona and New Mexico to help out stop the fires going on there!

Tom

make-shift levee is no longer

The make-shift levee only lasted about 24 hours and the 100 homes I described above are now under water.
Fred, sorry to hear that the make-shift levee is no longer. How far away are you from the rising waters? Also tried to find the link to your interview on that Fox Station and couldn't find it. Is it still listed? I hope all is dry for you and your townfolks soon! Wish we could do more, please keep us informed!

Fred, sorry to hear that the make-shift levee is no longer. How far away are you from the rising waters? Also tried to find the link to your interview on that Fox Station and couldn't find it. Is it still listed? I hope all is dry for you and your townfolks soon! Wish we could do more, please keep us informed!
The river here has fallen about 6 inches now, and continues to fall. In another 3 or 4 days, it will no longer be against the levee. It will still be above flood stage, but no longer a threat to our town.

Fred,
I will certainly pray for You and your family. Plus all the others who are in the disaster area. Take care and keep in touch. It seems there is a lot of stuff happening in our world right now. Kind of scary really.

Trucker

I'm very sorry to hear about the levee break, water invading homes is one of the most destructive disasters that can happen. Hopefully the waters will recede quickly, and the cleanup effort can begin soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts