V-Box II problem: Er2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yuccabrevifolia

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Tehachapi CA
I just finished setting up and logging all of the TPs on all of the sats I can see on my C-Band setup on Thursday last. Predictably, I go off for the weekend, come back, and the V-Box throws a consistent Er2 error when I try to move the dish.

Oddly, I can move the dish with no problem in both directions using the signal quality menu on my SV-8000HD, but the V-Box no longer moves the dish using the pre-programmed positions I set up for each satellite that were moving the dish every time I chose a new satellite through the receiver.

Hopefully the description here makes sense. The fact that it will move manually in both directions suggests to me that there is no hardware issue with the actuator (which is only three weeks old) or the wiring. The actuator can be moved either direction through the menu on the receiver. However, the Er2 error stays on the readout of the V-Box constantly, and the V-Box no longer moves to saved positions.

In essence, I can move the actuator using the receiver manually, but the V-Box will not automagically move to the saved motor positions that worked fine before I took the kids to Disneyland.

Any ideas appreciated. Finding Qubo for my 8 year old is really difficult without the ability to move to saved positions. ;)

BTW: While at Disneyland I saw several C-Band dishes at Tomorrowland. In order to be futuristic one of the buildings had what I can only describe as a collage of mesh dishes and dish parts artistically arranged on the roof. Heck, it looked like a couple could have been the same as what I have in my backyard. :rolleyes:

When you get a chance, check to see that the reed switch at the motor is properly hooked to the Vbox.
I only remember one error code on similar units, and it just meant that you were moving and not getting switch action.
Check for open or shorted wires between the Vbox and the motor.

It's not getting a return pulse from the reed switch at the motor (sensor wires small gauge). Check wires. Connections or reed switch in actuator.

Thanks! I went through and re-tightened everything, then I checked the connections on the back of the Vbox. Trying to re-seat the wires in the wire clamps on the back caused them to come apart, with the plastic clamp and spring falling out of the back of the unit.. I did manage to get everything back together, and now it works, but the quality of the Vbox, given that I had to reassemble the red/black clamps in the back, is suspect. I'm still not sure what failed to connect, but based upon this experience I strongly suspect the very cheap red/black clamps on the back. I suppose I shouldn't complain. Vbox is inexpensive so milspec probably isn't something I should expect. :) Again, thanks for pointing (pun intended) me in the right direction (also pun intended).

Er2 might also mean bad solder joints in the vbox - that's happened to me twice. I touched up the joints I thought might be bad based on poking around a little bit with a VOM and all was well. Too bad the Vbox quality control isn't there.

I do concur with the other posters the first things to check when another Er2 situation happens is check the wiring from vbox to dish, the reed sensor at dish, and make sure the clips on the back of the vbox are holding the sensor wires properly. They seem to be rather touchy for some reason as far as making good contact between wire and spring terminal clip.

OK. Got up this morning, turned everything on and now I have the ER2 again. It was just fine yesterday and the day before. I'll try taking it apart this weekend and see about the solder joints. It has to be something intermittent, and that would seem to indicate the box, especially since changing out the wires that connected the reed switch made no difference. If that doesn't work, I'll call it a learning experience and buy a gbox. Sigh. Thanks much for the ideas. I'm beginning to think it is just a build quality issue.

Is it in 1 direction, or both?
If 1 direction, is it Pulling or Pushing the Dish?
It's possible that the VBox is not strong enough to Pull the Dish up from far East or West.

Do you hear the relays click at all? mine did the same with 1 direction of movement (while the other worked great and reversed when I reversed the wires) and I just had to knock the relay with my finger (well I have more than one finger obviously lol) then it started to work ever since.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts