Va-Va-Voom HD Dropouts and Poor Phone Support

slick1ru2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
The South
I have had this problem more then once. Today, all the of my Va-Va-Voom HD channels except the HBOs are dropping picture and/or sound every 9-10 seconds. The HBO HDs is doing it too, but not as often. I called "support" and got the high call volume message. Got PO'd and called back and hit the option if I wanted to order Voom and got a human right away. He couldn't help me so I asked for the supervisor who helped me get through to support. Total time to get to talk to someone was almost 30 minutes.

Anyway, he had me unplug the box and he hit it again. Everything seemed better until I got to MaxHDW which had the 9-10 sec dropouts. According to the customer service guy my signal strength and SN ratio are fine. It might be that the installer put the dish on the side of my house instead of the roof and did it back in the spring before the tall trees were filled out. So, now I am waiting to have Installs, Inc schedule a service call. It will take a day or 2 just to get them to call to schedule!

The thing that I don't understand that if it is trees how come its only these HD channels and not all of them and the SD channels. And why are most of the dropouts at a regular intervals? Any ideas? Thanks!

Signal Quality is steady at 83 (Its overcast and windy here today) Sat Signal power is 62/SNR is around 11.9

OK, but what I don't get is how the Voom HD channels look fine, the SD channels look fine but the majority of the Va-Va-Voom HDs are effected by such a little change in signal quality.

slick,

Are you using DVI or component? If DVI, have you tried component? Some Sony models have a bug with their HDCP support that causes video dropouts on DVI -- although that wouldn't explain your audio dropouts.

83 is pretty low for a new installation. If you hit ~75 (which you might during brief periods of high wind), you'll get dropouts. Most new installations are in the 90-95 range, with 97-99 signals being common for larger dishes. My signal is 98 with a 24" dish.

If problems persist, you should call VOOM (Sunday is the best time) and schedule a service call to have the installer repeak your dish. I've found wait times on Sunday to be <2 minutes on average, probably because most installers take the day off.

Ken F said:
slick,

Are you using DVI or component? If DVI, have you tried component? Some Sony models have a bug with their HDCP support that causes video dropouts on DVI -- although that wouldn't explain your audio dropouts.

83 is pretty low for a new installation. If you hit ~75 (which you might during brief periods of high wind), you'll get dropouts. Most new installations are in the 90-95 range, with 97-99 signals being common for larger dishes. My signal is 98 with a 24" dish.

If problems persist, you should call VOOM (Sunday is the best time) and schedule a service call to have the installer repeak your dish. I've found wait times on Sunday to be <2 minutes on average, probably because most installers take the day off.
I have been getting alot of dropouts on 271 and 701. I switched from DVI to Component, the problem is still occuring. I have Hitachi tv from 2003

I am using DVI w/2004 Hitachi 57S700. Today there's no wind and no drop outs. Awaiting Installs to get back to me. Thanks for the input!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)