Vaio or MacBook?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I started my new job this week and I am no longer in the classroom. Because of this I had to give back the laptop I was using. This means I am now in the market for a laptop after buying a MacBook for for my wife about 2 months ago. I was looking at Asus, Sony, and Mac.

The Asus is by far the best when it comes to specs and performance, but their laptops are huge, heavy, and ugly, so I pretty much ruled them out. I am now trying to decide between a decent Sony Vaio or a MacBook.

The Vaio's I have been looking when compared to a MacBook of the same price have better specs and performance (better video card, USB 3.0, Blue Ray, i7 processor(s), bigger hard drives, more RAM, ex)

The advantage of the Mac is I can run both OS's. This may also not be necessary as I will probably primarily be running windows anyway

ETA: What I mean by MacBook is the MacBook Pro of course

Have you looked into Toshiba? I bought a Sony Vaio. It had a high pitched noise, like a bad capacitor, right out of the box. I spent an hour on the phone with their tech support. The tech wanted me to place my phone next to the laptop so they could hear the noise. It was not a noise you would hear on the phone. Because she couldn't hear it, she refused to allow an RMA on it. It was a great deal with all the features I was looking for. I had already installed my apps and didn't need it for another month. Since she wouldn't RMA it, I told her I was just going to return it and buy a different brand. She told me ...well..if that's what you want to do...

The Toshiba comes with a back-lit keyboard, which is an awesome feature. Harman/Kardon speakers, blue-ray, hdmi, camera, i5 processor, and it was $700.00 at Office Max.

The advantage of the Mac is I can run both OS's. This may also not be necessary as I will probably primarily be running windows anyway

This line gives you your answer. Why purchase a MacBook Pro if you are most likely going to only run Windows?

Dodger, I would stay away from Toshiba if I was you. Toshiba laptops have given me the most problems of any other brand that I have used. My wife's Sony is a nice unit that has been rock solid for the past two years. With the Toshiba laptop that we have needed to have its power connector in the laptop replaced.

FYI, my comment on you having the answer of not choosing a MacBook is only because you would be running Windows. The Mac is a nice laptop but the keyboard is not the most user friendly when running Windows.

It is also very hard to guide in one direction or the other not knowing what the laptop is going to be used for.

The only reason I thought about trying a Toshiba is that I had one in the garage that was retired only because technology compelled me to. I plugged it in last year for kicks and it actually booted up into Windows ME. Everyone has their own experiences. Just hope the opinions help make a decision that isn't regretted a few months down the road.

Maybe he doesn't want to admit he likes his wife 's mbp? :D ;)
;)

Don't tell anyone, it is supposed to be a secret... :)

Seriously, in all honesty, I have grown to tolerate the MAC more and appreciate many of the things it can do, but it has also given me even more confirmation as to why I prefer Windows over Mac OS.

FYI, my comment on you having the answer of not choosing a MacBook is only because you would be running Windows. The Mac is a nice laptop but the keyboard is not the most user friendly when running Windows.
I knew exactly where you were coming from

I am running Windows on my MBP, but this is more like an experiment, a temporary compromise: I need both OS X and Windows for my work, and I don't want to carry two laptops. Yes, MacBook Pro can run Windows, but it wasn't designed for Windows and has some problems and limitations. If you are going to run Windows, get a laptop designed for it!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I had some issues with a Toshiba as well. The power adapter had to replaced on mine too along with a few other things. Someone else I knew also had issues with his Toshiba. I do not know why they are ranked as well in reliability as they are. Does not make sense to me.

If you're going to primarily use Windows I would recommend the Vaio. If you want to eventually convert to Mac go with the MBP.

We have a Vaio and it's now our only Windows based PC. My wife and I both use Macs as our desktops.

I had some issues with a Toshiba as well. The power adapter had to replaced on mine too along with a few other things. Someone else I knew also had issues with his Toshiba. I do not know why they are ranked as well in reliability as they are. Does not make sense to me.

There is a thread here somewhere about how I had to replace the power adapter plug on my Toshiba. Cheaply made. The laptop itself is ok, I liked the backlit screen, but my macbook pro runs circles around it.

There is a Sony store in a mall around here. I will be going there today to check out some of their laptops

I have worked on all kinds of laptops: Toshiba, Sony, Dell and some others. They all break sooner or later. If you are a heavy user, consider getting a good warranty. I have replaced power connectors once on Toshiba and twice on Sony. Overall Sony Vaio served me very well - my favorite laptop of them all, but rather pricey! I am very loyal to Dell (business line of laptops) mostly for their good value, excellent warranty and support, as well as customization options. Should you go with Toshiba - stay away from their cheapest consumer models - they are usually junk!

Cool. Geek Heaven. Sony store and Apple store right next to each other

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)