Verizon may bid for D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would think Verizon would be happier with Dish, esp if they paired the ViP series machines with Fios. But, I suppose if they really saw the value in the ViP series, they could do a deal with Echostar today. Maybe the players are waiting on Tivo lawsuit developments, like a settlement.
I like the idea of Verizon buying Dish Network. Unfortunately, they would also wind up owing millions of contempable DVRs (as ruled by the court) and, for the mostly likely have to rely on EchoStar for set-top-box for quite sometime and DVRs that could likely be enjoined in the Tivo versus Dish Network litigation.

There are only so many areas Verizon can build out Fios too and once thats done there would be no more Fios rollouts.

Combining the two companies together would greatly reduce costs in programming alone.
Verizon is building-out in an AT&T market outside of Dallas (test market) and have announced they would entertain opportunities to build outside existing markets. However, those opportunities are few and probably a long-way off. In the meantime, buying DirecTV makes more sense, but I am not convinced they are willing to spend the money required to obtain DirecTV.

AT&T might not want DirecTV. I have heard some buzz that AT&T is not happy with their DirecTV deal and were doing more sales with Dish Network then they are with DirecTV.

I hear t heir sales started off great but then took a sharp nosedive and havent picked up again since.

Maybe AT&T is starting to understand that all the low hanging fruit (ie new customers) have already been picked.

Locally that is not the case, I hear from techs about every week or two how thier installed have picked up greatly due to D*'s deal with AT&T, but that is only a small sample to look at.

Actually I believe Verizon can roll out FIOS anywhere that they are able to obtain franchise agreements. That most likely would be dependent upon how much the incumbent cable and landline has the local government in their pocket. The other question is how much are they wiling to spend as FIOS is very expensive to roll out (Fiber to the home) as compared to cable and copper phone/internet.

AT&T is also running "Fiber to the HOME" if your a New development.

I beg to differ. Satcos and services such as Verizon do not compete on the same playing field.
D* offers television service.
Verizon offers internet and telephone in a vast majority of areas where it is the incumbent local carrier. Yes Verizon offers the third spoke in the triple pay in soem areas.
Where FiOS is not available D* would be a perfect venue for the carrier to compete with the local cable firm.

For example. If Verizon were the local telco but does not offer FiOS service, it could still offer a three way bundle using landline phione, internet(DSL) and partnering with D* to compete with the local cable outfit.

I lookat this as agreat opportunity for consumers. It gives the local cable monopoly a run for their money in the bundle market.

This is the same as what AT&T is doing NOW.

It will never happen, the FCC and the Dept. of Justice will block the sale because of monopoly issues. Remember Charlie trying to buy Directv a few years ago, where did that go.

I think you misunderstood my point that Verizon can roll out FIOS anywhere that they a)can negotiate a franchise agreement and b)choose to spend the considerable capital it requires to roll out fiber to the home.

Verizon is not limited with regard to FIOS services to only the areas where they are the incumbent local exchange carrier for phone service.

You really think they are going to go into an area that they decide on and start from SCRATCH ?
Hardly ....

Yes they do have to be in an area that belongs to Verizon.
They cannot for example go into the area I work that is an AT&T area and say, I think I'm gonna put my service down in this or that area and be good and start building new infrastructure and tearing up the grounds and neighborhood in areas tyhat are not already belonging to them.... its not gonna happen.

Also keep in mind that Verizon is already talking about trying to DUMP a large number of landlines .... if they are going to do that, they are getting rid of areas , not acquiring more.

It will never happen, the FCC and the Dept. of Justice will block the sale because of monopoly issues. Remember Charlie trying to buy Directv a few years ago, where did that go.

That was a long time ago in this day.... many things have changed.

Looks like an AT&T or Verizon purchase coming, but nothing more than rumors so far.

There are only so many areas Verizon can build out Fios too and once thats done there would be no more Fios rollouts.

Combining the two companies together would greatly reduce costs in programming alone.

I have noticed that fios is now starting to roll out in ATT teritorries, up in the city, they are installing next to ATT Uverse DSLAMS and VRADS. I wish they would come down here, Uhhh bye bye uverse!

AT&T is also running "Fiber to the HOME" if your a New development.

They have done that in one subdivision in my area, I pleaded to them to come and run a fiber line to me instead of running that dreaded drop. The tech laughed and installed the drop... UGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! If ATT ran fiber to the home and provided the quality that Fios does, I would be a coustomer for life! No satellite here for me!

They cannot for example go into the area I work that is an AT&T area and say, I think I'm gonna put my service down in this or that area and be good and start building new infrastructure and tearing up the grounds and neighborhood in areas tyhat are not already belonging to them.... its not gonna happen.

They can install there service in any place that has an utility easment no matter who's there. Its not meant for any peticular service as the easments here have comcast, uverse, Comed, water and everything else. They cant be denined access just because att doesnt want thier boxes next to theirs. I know I have a utility easment on my property and if they wanted to come in and tear it up to lay new services, there's not a dam thing I could do about it. But then again I dont mind laying down some grass seed if its bringing fiber opitcs into my home! Its just apart of it. Also with the directional boaring that goes on now, the chances of your lawn being tore up is not that great.

You really think they are going to go into an area that they decide on and start from SCRATCH ?
Hardly ....

Also keep in mind that Verizon is already talking about trying to DUMP a large number of landlines .... if they are going to do that, they are getting rid of areas , not acquiring more.

No they don't they can go into any area that they can negotiate a franchise agreement and they said in the past that it would likely happen once they have finished rolling out in their home areas. Given their current rollout patterns do you honestly think they won't go into say Chicago and its suburbs as soon as they can get a franchise agreement(s) in those areas?

Keep in mind they are dumping copper landlines that are phone/DSL only. FIOS has both of those plus video. Looks to me like they are in the process of dumping copper and going with the long term strategy of fiber only so they can offer video, data (internet and ip based voice) and wireless.

I think it's a bad move. It's like the water company buying the electric company. The phone and isp's need to stay with what they are good at. The sat co's need to stick to satellites period imo. another transition is only going to raise the prices. Directv is expensive enough.

If they could gradually convert all of those subs to FIOS as the lines are laid that would be smart, eventually eliminating loss of service, ridiculous tweaking of the Dish and etc. FIOS should end all other TV service providers in every area they go into, IMO.

They can install there service in any place that has an utility easment no matter who's there. Its not meant for any peticular service as the easments here have comcast, uverse, Comed, water and everything else. They cant be denined access just because att doesnt want thier boxes next to theirs. I know I have a utility easment on my property and if they wanted to come in and tear it up to lay new services, there's not a dam thing I could do about it. But then again I dont mind laying down some grass seed if its bringing fiber opitcs into my home! Its just apart of it. Also with the directional boaring that goes on now, the chances of your lawn being tore up is not that great.

That is NOT TRUE.

They have to have a lot of contracts signed and agreements made and many other things ... I cannot believe that they let that happen as it's NEVER been allowed in the last 50 years anyways.

Up here, Verizon cannot move into AT&T area and AT&T cannot move into Verizon area.

Of course unless there is an agreement between the two companies, but I can't see the two largest phone companies to agree on territory.

No they don't they can go into any area that they can negotiate a franchise agreement and they said in the past that it would likely happen once they have finished rolling out in their home areas. Given their current rollout patterns do you honestly think they won't go into say Chicago and its suburbs as soon as they can get a franchise agreement(s) in those areas?

Keep in mind they are dumping copper landlines that are phone/DSL only. FIOS has both of those plus video. Looks to me like they are in the process of dumping copper and going with the long term strategy of fiber only so they can offer video, data (internet and ip based voice) and wireless.

So I can expect ATT service at my place any day now .....
YA right.
Not gonna happen, I'm in a Verizon area, AT&T cannot move into.

So I can expect to see AT&T U Verse VRADS to start popping up in my area any time now :rolleyes:

i just saw this thread today. honestly i hope it happens. it can't be worse than the ownership D is under now. I hate what this ownership has done so it's time for change.i'll welcome it!:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts