Verizon may bid for D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think it's a bad move. It's like the water company buying the electric company. The phone and isp's need to stay with what they are good at. The sat co's need to stick to satellites period imo. another transition is only going to raise the prices. Directv is expensive enough.

But this has been going on already for many years now ... Cable gets into the phone and dsl stuff.

If they could gradually convert all of those subs to FIOS as the lines are laid that would be smart, eventually eliminating loss of service, ridiculous tweaking of the Dish and etc. FIOS should end all other TV service providers in every area they go into, IMO.

What are you trying to say here ?

Fios should be the ONLY option ?

There are some complexes in my area that have cable company contracts that does not allow AT&T into it in any way, phone/ DSL or TV.

What does any of this Verizon moving into other areas have to do with Verizons potentially buying D* ?
The topic of the thread ...

They can install there service in any place that has an utility easment no matter who's there.
While this is true in the physical sense, they have to strike a franchise agreement to actually get it done. Some of the existing agreements are pretty exclusive because of the investments involved in meeting the terms.

What are you trying to say here ?

Fios should be the ONLY option ?

There are some complexes in my area that have cable company contracts that does not allow AT&T into it in any way, phone/ DSL or TV.
If Verizon owned D* and had its programming who on earth would want to deal with a DISH? or rainfade? or wind? or snow? or launching satellites. Verizon should buy it, take the programming, Sunday ticket and all and offer it to FIOS subs along with blazing internet and fiber phone service and eventually scrap every dish on every roof then sell off the satellites when they are done expanding FIOS in a decade or so. No need throw any more space trash into orbit.

That is NOT TRUE.

They have to have a lot of contracts signed and agreements made and many other things ... I cannot believe that they let that happen as it's NEVER been allowed in the last 50 years anyways.

Up here, Verizon cannot move into AT&T area and AT&T cannot move into Verizon area.

Of course unless there is an agreement between the two companies, but I can't see the two largest phone companies to agree on territory.

Not here, there is a state wide blanket agreement, that att had blaggo sign before he was ousted that allows any provider to go in anywhere. Att had it done for them, but didnt realize that it opened the door to other providers. That is why you see verizon rolling fiber optic service in the city of chicago. its only a matter of time before they begin rollout in the suburbs. I think it depends on your state laws and local goverments as what they can do in your area. In the case of Illinois if theres a public utlity outlet, its fair game for all!

While this is true in the physical sense, they have to strike a franchise agreement to actually get it done. Some of the existing agreements are pretty exclusive because of the investments involved in meeting the terms.

I dont think they have to as there is a statewide franchise agreement that allows them to do this in Illinois atleast, it might differ where you are at.

Illinois to become latest state to give telecoms statewide video franchise - Ars Technica

If Verizon owned D* and had its programming who on earth would want to deal with a DISH? or rainfade? or wind? or snow? or launching satellites. Verizon should buy it, take the programming, Sunday ticket and all and offer it to FIOS subs along with blazing internet and fiber phone service and eventually scrap every dish on every roof then sell off the satellites when they are done expanding FIOS in a decade or so. No need throw any more space trash into orbit.

oh crap, then id be out of a job! what am i gonna do!!!!!!????

If Directv is so wonderful and profitable then why is it always up for sale? Hey maybe that schmuck Dolan Jr that ruined the Knicks and helped destroy Voom will buy it.

I think you misunderstood my point that Verizon can roll out FIOS anywhere that they a)can negotiate a franchise agreement and b)choose to spend the considerable capital it requires to roll out fiber to the home.

Verizon is not limited with regard to FIOS services to only the areas where they are the incumbent local exchange carrier for phone service.

Thanks for the clarification. You should have included that in your original post.

So you think Verizon is going to fun fiber optics in the middle of Kansas? CT is one of the most crowded states. We have one town with FIOS. ONE! Explain how everyone that has Directv will be able to switch to FIOS, please.

There are only so many areas Verizon can build out Fios too and once thats done there would be no more Fios rollouts.

Combining the two companies together would greatly reduce costs in programming alone.

Verizon is already partnering with Directv here in WNY even though they are in the process of rolling out FIOS to the area. If they bought Directv it would make it very appealing to do a triple play with wireless phone, internet and tv, whereas I am in a area where FIOS has not hit yet.

Someone should buy Directv. They obviously don't know how to manage themselves.

wanna be partners??? you and me buy this and buy planes and go on ridiculous vacations and lay off ppl.. ask for more money...

aw screw it.
wait wait....................... 3 way partnership????? that could work;);)

aahhhhhhh forget it :p:D

I'd like to see Verizon buy up D*. They've shown a strong commitment to HDTV in their FIOS service. Far more than what John Malone has shown.

I also think Verizon would have a long term strategy for satellite services in their portfolio. If they were convinced that D* is worth their investment, then I would be confident that they've got an important slot for D* within their wireless and fiber strategies.

I'd like to see Verizon buy up D*. They've shown a strong commitment to HDTV in their FIOS service. Far more than what John Malone has shown.

I also think Verizon would have a long term strategy for satellite services in their portfolio. If they were convinced that D* is worth their investment, then I would be confident that they've got an important slot for D* within their wireless and fiber strategies.

well for one thing, VZW would make good profit to where they couldnt get 3Gs or FIOS to like a middle of NEB state, the profit of making money for D* would be a huge gain for them...

rey_1178 said:
wait wait....................... 3 way partnership????? that could work;);)

aahhhhhhh forget it :p:D

you bet your ass it would work!!! i can see myself just sitting back in my new built house with my Airplane in my drive way. :insert a HUGE thumbs up!:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts