Versus has joined the darkside - sports ticker

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
Last night I switched Versus on for the first time in awhile and was greeted by a sports ticker on the bottom of the screen during Rocky. I just checked again tonight and the ticker is still there. I don't know when this started, but I don't remember seeing a ticker the last time I watched something on the channel. Who is advising these networks to clutter up the screen with information that is readily available to anyone with an internet connection? I surely don't want sports scores scrolling across the bottom of my screen as I'm watching a movie. I don't even care for sports scores on the screen when I'm watching sports. Before we know it, HBO will scrolling entertainment news during their movies.

S**t, TNT, WGN, and most channels now have popup adds for their future programming that intrude across the bottom of the program and sometimes as high as halfway up the screen. Even the four networks are doing it to a lesser degree. TV is fast becoming unwatchable.

I'm pretty sure those large channel logos, animated pop up ads etc. are to encourage you to drop Dish and sign up for NetFlix :rolleyes:

Talon Dancer

S**t, TNT, WGN, and most channels now have popup adds for their future programming that intrude across the bottom of the program and sometimes as high as halfway up the screen. Even the four networks are doing it to a lesser degree. TV is fast becoming unwatchable.

yeah I agree
Or when you watch a ESPN Network and the previous show runs long and they do the bright "PROGRAMMING ALERT.....SPORTSCENTER IS NEXT"....and it stays scrolling the whole time no matter how long the previous show runs....yeah we get it. Sportscenter is next.

oh yeah that too...like this

"You're watching the Hawaiian Airlines Diamondhead Classic sponsored by Hawaiian Airlines: Utah vs Hawaii...coming up next Sportscenter" :rolleyes:

I guess what bothers me the most is that the networks (at least) are limited to a set # of minutes of advertising per hour for regaular programming. By inserting these advertising pop-ups, they are exceeding the advertising limits. And with sports programming, there are several scheduled TV time-outs (hockey) and other normal times in baseball and football when full commercials can be inserted. But they can't resist getting in freeby advertising by inserting popups during the games and other programming. I guess they claim that this is programming information, not commercials, but they sure are annoying.

I am not a hard core sports fan that needs Sunday Ticket or anything but my Dish sub is mainly for sports and one or two series. Pretty much anything else I just wait for the dvd or itunes because of all the screen clutter. I also get a lot of Australian and UK programming from various sources, since none of our networks have the brains to try some of these great programs instead of the mindless drivel they put out now, and there is no annoying graphics on those shows either.

Another thing I HATE is the constant shrinkage of the overall picture. I mean there is a reason I have a big screen tv. A 3" border around the entire picture is just insane. :rant: Size does matter

And why is it that the moment any channel chooses to put up their half screen pop up is the exact moment you need to see that part of the screen for proper understanding of what is going on?

Who are the ad wizards that came up with this?

Maybe this thread should be Sent to Congress, they have nothing better to do.
See if THEY can get rid of the clutter on our screens ...

I too hate the crawls and the advertizement they have in the corner of the show your watching.
I also hate the fact that the network has decided that they HAVE to remind you of what channel your WATCHING constantly, if I forget, I have an info button to tell me.

At one time, espn2 had the crawl and ESPN didn't ....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts