Viewing network HDD on Edision OS MIO?

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I have a WD 2 TB USB 3.0 HDD connected to a networked PC. Network sharing is enabled on this drive. The HDD has a bunch of my ripped MKV bluray movie files on it. Is there a setting for the Edision to "see" this drive and can it play MKV files?

I've never gotten it to work FROM the Mio.

ALL my other media devices on the network can SEE the MIO's 2TB WD drive and play things on it, but the Mio can't do the reverse. It can see other drives on the network after scanning, and even mount them. It just can't see any files on the drives. I've tried everything I can think of, and it just doesn't work. Oh, I didn't get around to installing Kodi yet and seeing if it'll work from there, so maybe.

You can try going into the Network Browser Mount Manager and scan your network. IF it sees your drive, use the options to mount it. Once that's done, see if you can get it to work from the Mio.

Maybe read this, I didn't find this yet back when I tried to make it work, and I haven't yet tried it as of yet again since I found it. So maybe you can get it to work: Data sharing - OpenPLi Wiki

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I've never gotten it to work FROM the Mio.

ALL my other media devices on the network can SEE the MIO's 2TB WD drive and play things on it, but the Mio can't do the reverse. It can see other drives on the network after scanning, and even mount them. It just can't see any files on the drives. I've tried everything I can think of, and it just doesn't work. Oh, I didn't get around to installing Kodi yet and seeing if it'll work from there, so maybe.

You can try going into the Network Browser Mount Manager and scan your network. IF it sees your drive, use the options to mount it. Once that's done, see if you can get it to work from the Mio.

Maybe read this, I didn't find this yet back when I tried to make it work, and I haven't yet tried it as of yet again since I found it. So maybe you can get it to work: Data sharing - OpenPLi Wiki

Nope, doesn't work for me either.

It should be doable, we are just missing something, IMO. However, it's far more important to ME that the Mio does what it does best, IE: Satellite and ATSC reception, and good timer recordings through WebIF or EPG on the local tuner. I've got that pretty much figured out, and that's good enough for me. Now if I can only get 14 days of EPG for ATSC channels... I figured out how to download data from tvguide and Zap2it to an .xml file, I just haven't figured out how to get the Mio to read it in as of yet.

I have other devices that do media playing as their best thing, so that doesn't bother me much, though it would be handy at times.

It should be doable, we are just missing something, IMO. However, it's far more important to ME that the Mio does what it does best, IE: Satellite and ATSC reception, and good timer recordings through WebIF or EPG on the local tuner. I've got that pretty much figured out, and that's good enough for me. Now if I can only get 14 days of EPG for ATSC channels... I figured out how to download data from tvguide and Zap2it to an .xml file, I just haven't figured out how to get the Mio to read it in as of yet.

I have other devices that do media playing as their best thing, so that doesn't bother me much, though it would be handy at times.

I agree; it's not a dealbreaker for me if it can't see networked drives. It functions as a satellite receiver and OTA tuner just fine :)

What is strange is looking the other direction. That is exploring the files on the Edision from the PC. It goes into a loop. As you open folders you see duplicates of the folders you just opened. You don't really see the contents.

I can see my Mio's drive from ANYTHING on my network. My WDTVLIVE, my pc, my tv set, etc and play files from it if I want. I can even rename, move, add, or play files on the Mio's drive. No loop, or anything odd like that. I just can't do the reverse.

I even worked with El Bandido on this, and we couldn't get it working.

Anybody want to be the guinea pig on this, and load Kodi, and see what happens?

Last edited:
Reactions: comfortably_numb
Has anyone tried NFS shares instead of Windows shares?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts