viewsat 9000 Hard drive recognition

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

nigel_miguel

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Hello,

i just got a Cavalry 500Gig HD for my 9000, i've formatted it to FAT32 but the receiver does not recognize it.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks

Does the Viewsat have a menu choice to format the hard drive?
My Visionsat did... so I would expect yours should, too.

I have also found that what order things get powered up can matter, too.
Not sure what the exact sequence is, but sometimes after extracting shows with my computer, I have difficulty getting the receiver to recognize the drive again.
Since the prefered sequence for mine isn't likely the same as yours, I can't give good advice.

but . . .
What I do, is power up the receiver with the rear panel switch, and let it stabilize for a minute or two in the "off" state.
Plug in the power to the hard drive and give it a minute.
Connect the drive to the receiver and wait another minute or two.
- I notice my receiver appears to detect the drive in this condition, as the display blinks a bit.
Last step is to power up the receiver with the remote - and wait another 30 seconds for the drive to begin working.
- pressing a key to access the drive in this state won't get you anywhere.

Yes my receiver does have a menu to recognize and format the hard drive but I can't get it to do anything. I'll try this tonight.
thanks

WOW, I can't believe no one here could figure this out!!!
I guess i'll return it.

Thanks anyway
Great help

The issue was the drive was unrecognizeable until I had windows install a partition on the drive, and then format it on my windows box. Once that was done, everything was fine.

One note on it though, the larger the device, the longer it takes the VS to detect it. When detected it will bring a box up on the screen stating the size of the drive. Press "OK" on the remote, and voila.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)